Private Range/Neighbors/Police Issues. Options?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

I do not like the idea of calling to "ask" permission to shoot. However, calling to let them know legal shooting is going on could cut the problem caller off at the knees.

Complainer: "There are gunshots near my property at X location."

Sheriff's Dept: "Yes Sir/Ma'am. There is legal shooting there. The property owner called us 20 minutes ago."

Complainer: "Well? What are you going to DO about it?"

Sheriff's Dept: "Nothing. As I have explained it is LEGAL and no laws are being broken."

Complainer: "...:xmad:..."

Range Owner: ":ar15::ar15::ar15:"

Call the local Sheriff's Department for the next two (2) weeks every time you :ar15:. The complainer will get tired of calling.

With this you now have a Plan B, even though it isn't you necessarily executing it. IF the complainer keeps calling and sending LEO to this location even after being told the range was legally hot, you can press charges (I would think) for harassment. You would need to consult with an attorney but I don't think people are allowed to waste LEO's time calling and complaining all the time. Even if you don't do this the local Sheriff's Department may(?) warn the person to stop calling and wasting their time with no effort on your part.

Good luck!

Regards,

Doug

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Had a neighbor call the LEO on me. Wasn't even doing a long shoot, just testing a problem rifle out. After the third call the LEO told them I was not doing anything wrong and to stop calling.

Now he has another neighbor call complaining that it is unsafe for the children. Very frustrating. If I had the means to set up a nice range on this property I would host shoots all the time just to annoy them. Which isn't right I know.

Cowboy71

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Clark County, IN
    If these police visits are a daily occurrence I don't understand why they haven't figured out the safest way to venture onto your property and into your range area and why they haven't spoken with whoever's making these harassing calls. They must know who it is. If the police have told the people making the calls that nothing is going on and they continue making these calls it seems to me that's close to making a false report to police officers since they've been made aware that the shots fired are legitimate.

As long as you are 100% legal in what you're doing I wouldn't call them and warn them about anything. If they've been there many times and continue to approach in a manner that jeopardizes their safety by knowingly walking into live fire I don't know why their ignorance would fall back on you if an accident were to occur. You're doing nothing illegal and by any reasonable standard they should be well aware by now that they're placing themselves in harms way walking directly into the wrong end of a firing range.

Cowboy71

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Clark County, IN
    It also seems like the police may be engaging in their own form of harassment. Like they believe if they show up every time you shoot they might intimidate you into curtailing your shooting activities or quitting altogether. It may be time to contact an attorney and determine if there's any police harassment going on or any way to compel the police into pursuing the persons making the calls every day.

Top Bottom