Pros and Cons of a Desert Eagle .50 cal???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Armed Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Indianapolis
    For the past few weeks I have been seriously debating purchasing a Desert Eagle .50 cal pistol. I would like any advise both the pros and cons on this gun. I have done some online research and I understand that the gun weighs over 5 pounds fully loaded and it has a very heavy recoil. I am a good sized fella at 6'4" and nearly 300 pounds with large hands. So the weight and overall size of the gun I feel wont be an issue. I also understand that ammo is nearly $2.00+ per round. I think I would perfer carrying it in a shoulder holster.

Does anybody have any experience with this gun? Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    My brother had one years back. If was fun for little while then it kind of got old. Very expensive to shoot and they are heavy. But im kind of skinny so I felt the recoil more than most. An they are really not practical for anything. But they do have the cool factor, guess it just depends how much that is worth to you:D

Armed Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Would this be a good full-time carry weapon?
    I have read that the muzzle flash is very large and it is not recommended for close quarters combat, or in a dark room. The muzzle flash can cause temporary blindness of the shooter. Is this true?

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    Would this be a good full-time carry weapon?
    I have read that the muzzle flash is very large and it is not recommended for close quarters combat, or in a dark room. The muzzle flash can cause temporary blindness of the shooter. Is this true?

Maybe a full time carry weapon if your the terminator. Lol. You would have to wear two of them, one under each arm to even out weight wise. That's like wearing a red ceramic paving brick under your arm. Cool guns, but in my opinion not a good carry gun.

Mike_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Muzzle flash and time to get a second shot on target would be my concerns. I'd rather several shots on target with a 9mm or 45 in the time you could get two of those on a target. Plus, I'd still be able to see at night.

Now if the cool factor and fun are the goal, go for it.

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    It's a KEWL-factor weapon, alright.

The cycle rate is so slow (NOT freeekin' slow, but "involved") that your eye-blink reflex will keep you from getting blinded by muzzle-flash. My .50 throws a 5-foot torch in broad daylight! I am 6.0, 230#, and the gun does not throw me around. I wear a vinyl surgical-glove to keep good hand-weld on the piece. Keeping it from twisting during recoil / reload is important. DOUBLE ear-protection is essential. I have two .50AEs, in black and polished stainless, 6-inch. I thought $650 was high when I got these, but now they are asking $1250-1350 and up on Bun Groper. I have the .44M, 6-inch & 10-inch,.50AE 6-in. & 10", .357M, 10-in, & 14-in. You might try starting on the .44Mag., and get used to the action, then get .50AE. The gun, iron-sighted, is much more accurate than you are, but you'll get better. It is a fun gun. Sure, maybe 3-4 .45ACP hits will do as much, but ONE .50AE JHP will end most confrontations with bears. I hear.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    What everyone else has said is very valid, but I only see one point to consider. If you are considering a .50 for back woods carry, I would say go for it, but for personal protection use in a public place or in your home, I think it would be a poor choice because of the potential for collateral injury due to pass through. My .480 sends a 325 grain projectile completely through a deer at 50 yds.

Armed Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have two .44 Mags. Both are Taurus Raging Bulls. One of them has been shorted from it's original barrel length to a snug-nose version. I am very fimilar with the recoil and the muzzle flash of larger caliber handgun. My everyday carry is Taurus PT145. It is a .45 ACP. It did not fit my hand very well with the 10 round mag. I bought a 12 round mag for a .45 ACP from a 24/7. It fits my PT145 and extended the overall grip length about a 1.5".

I appreciate all of the feedback. My INGO friends are wise!!!!

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    And all your experience with

NON-Desert Eagle wheelie-guns applies to the .50AE experience, HOW ???
    I have two .44 Mags. Both are Taurus Raging Bulls. One of them has been shorted from it's original barrel length to a snug-nose version. I am very fimilar with the recoil and the muzzle flash of larger caliber handgun. My everyday carry is Taurus PT145. It is a .45 ACP. It did not fit my hand very well with the 10 round mag. I bought a 12 round mag for a .45 ACP from a 24/7. It fits my PT145 and extended the overall grip length about a 1.5".

I appreciate all of the feedback. My INGO friends are wise!!!!

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I believe it may but only may be practical for home defense. To basically scare the crap out of some perp because I've seen people shoot them and the accuracy kinda sucks unless you practice a lot.

At $2/round, practicing a lot, you won't have much left to steal. :n00b:

gajones06

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2011
    I would do it..if you are comfortable handling the gun then why not. If i had the cash I would..but then again I am close to your size..just 75 pounds lighter. An if you use it in self dense situation if you don't shoot the guy you might give him third degree burns!!

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    It would be a cool gun to have, thats for sure, but for EDC, I would think that a "normal" carry piece in its full size configuration would be easier to carry, shoot, and be effective with. As far as size of the pistol vs. hand size, I have a friend that is 6'8, 400+, and his daily carry is a Glock 30. It looks like a derringer in his hands, but he shoots it well. Packing a DE would be along the lines of carrying a Smith X frame as an EDC, might get you attention, but there are better choices that wont cost as much.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Drop a 460 rowland kit in a 1911.

Cheaper than a desert eagle, same performance as the 44 magnum version at a fraction of the cost, weight, and bulk. 460rowland is extremely easy to reload, it's soft enough shooting, and it delivers power down range that you wouldn't believe possible from such a small round.

It's really a great round, if someone ever figured out how to keep it from dismantling a 1911 without using a compensator and insane spring weights, the 45acp would fall out of favor rather quick, at least for the crowd looking to gain a bit more power.

Hows 230gr at 1350fps sound to you? And that's just a "recommended" loading.

Here's my 460, I used to EDC it actually. Only thing that made it more challenging than normal was the length of it when sitting down on a hard chair.
    DgaqL.jpg

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    Had a chance to shoot a 50 DE right after they came out. Buddy handed it to me and first shot I made a bulls eye at 30 yards. Needless to say I suffered from a "Young Buck" swagger the rest of the day.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    While it certainly is not the most PRACTICAL choice, I say if you can pull it off, go for it. You OC types can't preach the virtues of deterrence and then shun the DE .50. I used to have one in .44mag and wish I hadn't let it go. Fun gun.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    OP: Are you also a deer hunter? Hog hunter (And not the kind found in Walmart, Martinsville, and Putnam county)??

That round is a FINE hunting round here in IN; just keep that in mind.

-J-

Top Bottom