Pros and Cons of a Desert Eagle .50 cal???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    For the past few weeks I have been seriously debating purchasing a Desert Eagle .50 cal pistol. I would like any advise both the pros and cons on this gun. Thanks

Pros: 1. The Wow factor
    2. If you run out of ammo you can use it for a war club

Cons: 1 The cost and availability of .50 AE ammo
    2 Weight and hard to conceal

I have the SS model as well as (2) 460 S&Ws and a 500 S&W. The Desert Eagle is fun to shoot, but my biggest problem with the weapon is the fact that about 1 out of 10 ejected casings comes back and smacks me right in the middle of the forehead. I've had blood dripping off my nose more than once after a trip to the range. Can you say "FLINCH" ?

The pistol is accurate and fun to shoot every once in a while, but I probably haven't shot mine for over a year. I'll keep mine just to have it in the collection, but I wouldn't buy another. The .460s and the .500 S&W are fun to shoot, do everything the Desert Eagle will do and the casings don't attack me.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I used to have a DE 44mag. When I was young and just out of basic I just had to have the big bad semi auto 44mag. Many years later with a new bride who didn't understand credit cards it had to go.

There is a place for the desert eagle magnums. I hunted in the U.P. of Michigan a couple of times and carried it in a drop leg holster because that gun is so big that's about the easiest way to carry it in the field. On the first day of hunting I fell asleep in the blind and woke up to the sound of a pack of wild dogs with just enough daylight to walk out of the woods. The wild dogs were close and I was hunting with a single shot rifle, so the added warm fuzzy feeling of the DE 44 mag on my leg made me feel A LOT better about that wild pack of dogs.

The guns were originally made for target shooting and are pretty darn accurate. Personally I think the 44mag is as big as you'd ever need to go and anything bigger doesn't make anything deader.

vork08

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    NWI
    At your size, you would have no prob carrying a DE.
    Pro- 1. Accurate
    2. Will stop anything you're shooting at
    3. If you miss, the concussion will scare the bejesus out of 'em
    Con- 1. Ammo pricey
    2.Recoil makes it harder to regain sight point for multiple hits
    3. To help with #2 you'll need more range time-See #1
    And cool factor trumps all cons!!

DFM914

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Avon
    Would this be a good full-time carry weapon?
    I have read that the muzzle flash is very large and it is not recommended for close quarters combat, or in a dark room. The muzzle flash can cause temporary blindness of the shooter. Is this true?
    Not a carry gun at all, even using it as a range gun would be outrageous.

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    You are limp-wristing it, getting hot brass up the nose.

I use cheap latex gloves to get a better hand-weld -- DON'T let the gun twist. I have also shot with other Eagle owners, and one guy uses the "interrogator-detective" lead-shot in the fingers, both to reduce felt-recoil, and to hold on tighter. At any range I've visited, the 1st Eagle shot causes silence all up and down the firing-line. Definite WOW-factor.
    Pros: 1. The Wow factor
    2. If you run out of ammo you can use it for a war club

Cons: 1 The cost and availability of .50 AE ammo
    2 Weight and hard to conceal

I have the SS model as well as (2) 460 S&Ws and a 500 S&W. The Desert Eagle is fun to shoot, but my biggest problem with the weapon is the fact that about 1 out of 10 ejected casings comes back and smacks me right in the middle of the forehead. I've had blood dripping off my nose more than once after a trip to the range. Can you say "FLINCH" ?

The pistol is accurate and fun to shoot every once in a while, but I probably haven't shot mine for over a year. I'll keep mine just to have it in the collection, but I wouldn't buy another. The .460s and the .500 S&W are fun to shoot, do everything the Desert Eagle will do and the casings don't attack me.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Pros:
    -Big Bullet
    -Heavy Gun
    -Awesomeness all around
    -Might give you a hard on (Makes the wife happy though, right?)

Cons:
    -Expensive ammo (but all ammo is expensive nowadays)
    -Won't conceal well (I don't think Godzilla could conceal one properly)
    -Might give you a hard on (Not good at the range)

Overall I feel the pros outweigh the cons all day when it comes to a .50. :)

stoyan79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 24, 2009
    Haha. There is only one pro - The Cool Factor.

Cons - everything else.

Would I buy another one. Hell yeah!

Top Bottom