• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GaDawg

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2012
    Muncie
    Why would someone list a rifle/shotgun in the classifieds and put on there they want to see LTCH. Would they not sell it if they didn't have one. Ya don't need a LTCH to own a long gun. I know someone would be tryin not to sell to a felony but would deny sale if they didn't have one?

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Sellers can do whatever they want, I can ask for your library card if I want but you can also decide not to buy my gun and buy it from someone else.
    You dont need to show a LTCH to buy a handgun either, some people decide to ask for one anyway.
    Some sellers also want to see a Indiana DL, some both a DL and a LTCH, some nothing.
    All those scenarios are legal since as a non-FFL dealer you dont need to ask any kind of ID in order to sell a gun.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    Freedom , yes really Freedom
    way i see it , its their (or mine) firearm and welcome to make whatever demands they choose. Heck if someone says you can buy this firearm but must bring a double-cheeseburger and fries when we meet , well i would oblige if i really wanted the firearm

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    If they want insurance that you are a proper person, you could meet at a gun shop and pay the shop to do the transfer and background check. Or maybe you could do the limited criminal history check with the ISP (about $16) online.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    way i see it , its their (or mine) firearm and welcome to make whatever demands they choose. Heck if someone says you can buy this firearm but must bring a double-cheeseburger and fries when we meet , well i would oblige if i really wanted the firearm

Good to know.
    Can you bring a double-cheeseburger and fries even if I dont sell any gun to you? :dunno:
    Im just kinda hungry. :D

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    If they want insurance that you are a proper person, you could meet at a gun shop and pay the shop to do the transfer and background check. Or maybe you could do the limited criminal history check with the ISP (about $16) online.

...or they could ask to see an LTCH at no cost to either party.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have been mulling over requiring fingerprints and photographs of the buyer.

And maybe a letter from his mom...

How about requiring the seller to provide a letter from the local PD saying it isn't hot?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The last thing a responsible seller wants is to sell the firearm to an improper person. I have actually sold a firearm to a known legal person who sold it to a person that turned out to have a felony. I had bought the shotgun new so my name was on the 4473, and the manufacturers warranty card. The middle seller did not have their name on anything. I have property, savings, a clean record, etc. I could afford to saw the shotgun to bits and throw it away, and I would do that rather than risking what I have to lose on someone who has nothing to lose and has a strong chance of screwing up.

I have had people get really crappy with me when I demanded to see ID and demanded that they sign a recept. Sorry, but I would rather offend someone than put my neck out for people I do not know. Only people who have worked hard enough to earn something to conserve think it is best to be conserative.

remman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    I fully understand the wanting to ensure a good and proper person idea. What I don't understand is why they would turn down money if the potential buyer doesn't have an LTCH. Suppose the buyer just doesn't like handguns. They aren't against them, they just prefer long guns. Why punish them for it by refusing to sell the firearm? I understand that it's the seller's choice, and as a capitalist, I fully support their right to refuse a sale for any reason. I just don't understand why you would throw away money over something that doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things.

swanny

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2012
    Asking for a LTCH helps show your due diligence verifying that the individual is a proper person. This comes from both a legal standpoint and from a moral standpoint. If someone committed a crime with a weapon that I sold them if I did my best to verify that there was no intent when selling the weapon it would help ease my conscience. Additionally from a liability standpoint verifying they are a proper person via LTCH shows that you tried to be diligent in a court of law in the event something bad happens.

tmanbuddyy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012

I love it

Top Bottom