• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • meldusty

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2009
    I believe if I tell an Officer something in a nice way that can diffuse a potentially threatening situation and that Officer is armed and states anything about shooting me then I have a right to be just a little MAD. Just my opinion.

Mokkie

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2010
    Where did you grow up Lala-land? I agree it was rude of the officer but if he chooses to cuss in other situations who cares. This isn't about using Curse words this is about the cop being rude. I respect your opinion but thought i would offer my .02.
    Well I might get in trouble for this. But here goes. I was brought up on a farm by very loving and caring grandparents. I was taught that cussing was not a good thing. it shows a disrespect for yourself and others. it also shows that you are insecure and not in control. If you have to cuss to show that you are a big person you lose. It is rude in any instance. Not only in the op instance. Bear in mined this only my opinion. If you are a Professional be a Professional dont cuss it makes your profession look a lot smaller. And another thing. If you dont stand for something you will fall for anything.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Well I might get in trouble for this. But here goes. I was brought up on a farm by very loving and caring grandparents. I was taught that cussing was not a good thing. it shows a disrespect for yourself and others. it also shows that you are insecure and not in control. If you have to cuss to show that you are a big person you lose. It is rude in any instance. Not only in the op instance. Bear in mined this only my opinion. If you are a Professional be a Professional dont cuss it makes your profession look a lot smaller. And another thing. If you dont stand for something you will fall for anything.
    You won't get in trouble from me for that opinion. I agree completely. :+1: I agree 100%. However I'll be honest and admit that I sometimes fail in that philosophy. ;)

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    What if he had said, " just don't pull it out and I won't shoot you in the face" in a very loving and caring voice? Would that have made it better? After all there was no cursing and not a threatening voice but the facts would still be out there. Is it really that big of a deal? It sounds like he came back and treated you with respect and dignity so is it really worth all the things that might happen to this officer if a complaint is filed? Had a officer draw and cock a model 686 and point it at my head years ago when I informed him I had a permit and was armed after a tail light stop. Over 20 years later we still talk about it every once in a while. He became very knowledgeable about all different kinds of weapons and is a trainer now. It all started that night. Everybody walked away alive so no big deal.
    I'm getting tired of all this kind of "victim" stuff lately. We all make mistakes. Man up.
    Bob

XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Had a officer draw and cock a model 686 and point it at my head years ago when I informed him I had a permit and was armed after a tail light stop. Over 20 years later we still talk about it every once in a while. He became very knowledgeable about all different kinds of weapons and is a trainer now. It all started that night. Everybody walked away alive so no big deal.
    I'm getting tired of all this kind of "victim" stuff lately. We all make mistakes. Man up.

So if I ever see you at a range and do that to you, you won't have a problem with it?

Split

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2009
    Evansville
    Sounds like he was just being a smartass. Had a cop in Alabama basically say the same thing to me without the cursing, and we were laughing about it. Calm down, not everything a police officer does is to downtrod upon your freedoms, maybe he just makes jokes some may consider unprofessional.

Don't take stuff so seriously, life is far too short to concern yourself with a situation that ended so well.

Mokkie

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2010
    You won't get in trouble from me for that opinion. I agree completely. :+1: I agree 100%. However I'll be honest and admit that I sometimes fail in that philosophy. ;)
    Thank you And I should have added this to my post. I also do slip from time to time and when I do I have this little voice in the back of my head that says you were brought up better than that. And I feel ashamed of myself for it happening. I have never been a PO but I am pretty sure they dont have a chapter on cussing at the LEA. I am sorry for hijacking the thread.

MunsterGlocker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Wow, at least he let you off with a warning. I would consider it his way of making up for his mistake and leave it at that.

ryanbr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Logansport
    Was pulled over for my license plate lights being burnt out. Was told to grab my license and registration. I politely said(since I believe in informing them so they don't have to find it.) "Sir, Just so you are aware, my handgun is right next to my wallet. Would you like me to step out to grab my wallet?"

Purdue Police Officer "No, just don't pull your gun on me, or ill F*****g shoot you!"

Trying to keep the mood light, I responded "That sounds like it would be a fair trade to me" and gave him my ingo. excuse me, my info. I then started my voice recorder.

He came back, in much more of a polite mood and said(I recorded this part, shame on me for missing that first gem) , "Robert, why don't you go ahead and put your hands out the window for a second, thank you, so I appreciate you lettin me know about.. usually its easier if you stay in so we're not face to face... get your light fixed...just a warning...I appreciate you telling me... have a good night."

I wish I would have told him that I didn't appreciate him stating the obvious in such a threatening manner, maybe I just felt that It was his own sarcastic take on the situation, and really didn't feel disrespected. but i'm to non confrontational for that.

He did NOT ask me to take out my weapon, and for that, I'm willing to balance this whole thing out into a +1 for purdue police.

I guess in his defense, I had a bright green backwards hat on for saint pattys day, and I was leaving the bars at 3:00 AM(Completely 0.00 sober mind you)

Anyways. thats my story. The recording is almost exactly how I typed it.

You mean the first question wasnt if your parents belonged to the John purdue club? What was he thinking!:dunno:

RA8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Carmel
    Sounds like he was just being a smartass. Had a cop in Alabama basically say the same thing to me without the cursing, and we were laughing about it. Calm down, not everything a police officer does is to downtrod upon your freedoms, maybe he just makes jokes some may consider unprofessional.

Don't take stuff so seriously, life is far too short to concern yourself with a situation that ended so well.

Who took anything so seriously? I don't recall over reacting to anything. In fact, it sounds like you are saying I'm wrong while agreeing with me.:dunno:

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    wrong!!! its illegal if they dont know they are being recorded on the phone. but in person its not illegal. Used it once myself and the judge was more than happy to use it against my former employer. you should have seen them idiots trying to tell the judge it was illegal it was like a mouse scurrying in the night, beautiful!!! MUHUWAHAHAHAHAHAHA RANGER GOT THE LAST LAUGH!!!!

Actually it is legal to record someone on the phone if they don't know it. As long as one of the parties consent it's fine. I recorded someone on the phone and the judge had no problem with it being used.

IC 35-33.5-1-5
    "Interception" defined
    Sec. 5. "Interception" means the intentional recording or acquisition of the contents of an electronic communication by a person other than a sender or receiver of that communication, without the consent of the sender or receiver, by means of any instrument, device, or equipment under this article. This term includes the intentional recording or acquisition of communication through the use of a computer or a FAX (facsimile transmission) machine.

XDinmyXJ

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN

OK, fair enough. I also grew up being taught to respect others. Its not disrespectful in my eyes. I am very in control at all times. One reason I don't drink alcohol because i like being in control. We grew up a little differently. I know when to cuss and in a professional situation you are right you shouldn't cuss. I can respect your opinion but you gotta realize not everyone has the same views as you and if i decide to cuss, don't you dare look down on me or anyone else who does. Thats not fair. The bible teaches us to respect our fellow man and not judge them. Not to judge those who(or whos views) are different from us but that seems to get shoved to the side a lot(not saying thats how you are at all because I have not met you). :cheers: and sorry if i sounded like a jerk in that first post it was late at night.

Mokkie

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2010
    OK, fair enough. I also grew up being taught to respect others. Its not disrespectful in my eyes. I am very in control at all times. One reason I don't drink alcohol because i like being in control. We grew up a little differently. I know when to cuss and in a professional situation you are right you shouldn't cuss. I can respect your opinion but you gotta realize not everyone has the same views as you and if i decide to cuss, don't you dare look down on me or anyone else who does. Thats not fair. The bible teaches us to respect our fellow man and not judge them. Not to judge those who(or whos views) are different from us but that seems to get shoved to the side a lot(not saying thats how you are at all because I have not met you). :cheers: and sorry if i sounded like a jerk in that first post it was late at night.
    Yes I agree with you the bible says judge not least you be judged it also says do onto others as you would have them do unto you. It also says do not use Gods name in vain and you should respect your elders and honor you mother and father. In my case it is my grandfather and grandmother. I am not looking down on you or any one else. I am just saying that I was brought up not to swear at people and my opinion is my own. Maybe I am not very good at getting my point across. I do not mean to offend anyone. In my training as a EMT-D and firefighter cussing was never part of my training. And I dont think it part of the training for Law Enforcement. To me and this is only my opinion it shows lack of confidence maybe fear and insecurity and lack of control. One more thing aint it great that we live in a country where we can agree to disagree If I offend you or anyone else I am sorry. That is not and never was my intention.

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    If it happened as the OP said it did (not saying it didn't, just a general statement) then the cop was probably joking. With that being said though he shouldn't have said it either way.

I will say though there is a time and place for statement's like that, this just wasn't one of them. I have had, on multiple occaisions, had someone at gunpoint yelling for them to get on the ground. When they did not comply I yelled, "Get on the effing ground or I will shoot you" and they then got down on the ground. When he was taken into custody I asked him wh he didn't at first but then did later. His reply, "When you dropped the f-bomb I knew you were serious and I didn't want to get shot". Like 2 cops with guns pointed at you aren't serious enough, he needed the f-bomb to be sure...........:nuts:

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    There is a former Benton County Deputy on the Purdue force, that took a 9mm to the face about ten years ago. May or may not have been him. But I would guess that he may still be a little "gun shy".

kel-tecfan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    My Traffic Stop Rules

I don't mention I have a gun, unless specifically asked if I have any weapons in my vehicle. At which time I'll tell him/her exactly what I have and provide my permit.

Any questions that have answers which may incriminate me, I simply take the 5th. I don't volunteer information. I keep my mouth shut. I exercise my 5th amendment right beginning to end. "You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law."

I've had officers quote things I said to judges in court, when I've taken traffic tickets to court. That taught me to shut my mouth the first time.

Top Bottom