• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    About 30 years ago I worked armed security in a factory that only had first shift employees. I worked 3rd shift and carried a 38sp. The guy working 2nd shift carried a 22. One evening on 2nd shift a guy broke in and was robbing a vending machine. The security caught him, and the guy came at him with a hammer. The security guy had to shoot him 5 times before it stopped the thief, he lived. A little later and I would have had to shoot him with a 38sp. I hated the thought that I may have had to kill a guy for [STRIKE]breaking in to a damn vending machine[/STRIKE] attacking someone with a hammer.

FTFY. I see that type of wording all the time, but it is wrong and harmful. It makes gun owners look like the aggressors. The thief is the one that decided to initiate a lethal force encounter because someone tried to stop him from robbing a vending machine.

Last edited:

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    I've never had to do draw on anybody, but there was a time I was pumping gas and a couple guys seemed to be casing me.
    I kinda pulled my jacket back when they were on my right side (about 20 feet away) and I think they could see my Glock 21.
    I don't remembering doing it on purpose (maybe I did), but it swept back as I was reaching for my wallet and exposed the gun for a second or two.
    That seemed to be enough to make the guys walk off, and I'm glad they did. I'm 99% sure they saw my gun, but they didn't turn and run, they just changed direction and walked off.

My Uncle told me one time he had to point his gun at a guy that was trying to run his car off the road on I-74.
    The guy changed lanes and sped away at high speed after he got a look at the business end of a Browning Hi-power. Happened back in the '80's I think.

Notavictim646

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    Undisclosed
    I had an old friend tell me that, in his younger days, had was cut off by another driver, caught up with him at a light and (unwisely) got off his motorcycle and stomped up to the driver side door of the other driver. He said when he arrived, he saw the other driver was holding a pistol on his lap and said something like "Are we going to have a problem?" to which my friend replied "No Sir, not at all", he turned around, got back on his bike, and rode off.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Some things are better left to the confines of 'history'. Usually, the scars are enough of a reminder for those who have 'been there - done that'.

sliptap

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I've never had to do draw on anybody, but there was a time I was pumping gas and a couple guys seemed to be casing me.
    I kinda pulled my jacket back when they were on my right side (about 20 feet away) and I think they could see my Glock 21.

I had a similar experience. I was buying groceries late at night at Wal-Mart (first mistake). As I walked to my car, 3 big guys (3 X 250 Lbs. vs. me @ 155lb) cased me as I walked out. They walked parallel with me an aisle over and stopped when I reached my car. I started putting groceries away but did it in a way that I could face them. They started to approach me and I drew my hand back at 5 o'clock and rested on my Glock 27. They paused, thought about it, then walked the other way.

It definitely scared me because of what could have happened. Looking back on it, I probably should've started my car earlier or just walked back into WalMart when I noticed them. I'm very grateful that they decided to leave me alone.

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    A coworker asked me about CC and home defense before i could answer another CW jumped in and gave advice if fallowed in a situation outside of the home that required the use of deadly force would likely land you in lower lip deep kaka, after he finished, i said as far as i ever using my gun while outside of the home and were alone, I if at all possible would first try to avoid doing so, including running away. However that said, if one or more members of my family are with me I would have almost no other option but doing what ever was needed to stop the threat.

I could be wrong, but IMHO, your likely hood of being sued after shooting someone in self defense is about 95% regardless if it is proven you were clearly in fear for your life and law enforcement doesn't charge you for anything.

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    Forgot to add about 20 years ago while gassing up the company I worked for van in a BAAAAD hood in chicago I saw two thugs approaching me, I felt they were not going to ask for my favorite oatmeal scotchies recipe, having no other weapon available to me, I sprayed them down dead in the face with gasoline. Stopped them long enough for me to get away.

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    I could be wrong, but IMHO, your likely hood of being sued after shooting someone in self defense is about 95% regardless if it is proven you were clearly in fear for your life and law enforcement doesn't charge you for anything.

I thought IN law precluded civil action being taken by the aggressor/their family if the DGU was proven to be lawful and justified.

Heard it on INGO so it must be true.

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    Mid 90's, Fort Walton Beach Florida. Was called out to unlock a man's car at a bar on the bad side of town (Carson Drive). Immediately stared getting harassed by minority locals that would stand in my way and try to surround me, pin me into the back of my van while I was looking for tools/flashlight. When the black man that I was there to assist told one of the instigators to "step off" he was punched in the face. At that point I drew a Colt 45 ACP. I kept it aimed toward the ground but in there general direction and requested everyone back away from my vehicle (I was still in the back of the van). I called my dispatcher on the NEXTEL radio and requested he call police. The crowd backed off and walked away talking ****. As soon as I was clear I got in the front seat and drove off (didn't bother unlocking the car).. I asked the customer that was punched if he wanted to get in and come with me. He didn't. Went down the road and waited for police to show up. They took an incident report and never even went down to the bar in question to see if any of the offenders were still there to press charges/make arrests. His advice was for me to "keep my white ass out of that neighborhood".

dbrier

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Indianapolis IN
    19 years ago I had to use my Smith & Wesson 5903 9mm to kill a deer. The woman in front of me hit a huge 10 point buck and it totaled her car. The deer was badly injured but trying to get up and move on three legs. The officer that showed up was a deer hunter and estimated the deer was nearly 200 lbs.
    It was disturbing to shoot a deer that close while looking in its eyes, but it had to be done.

silverspoon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Bloomfield
    If I go my whole life without ever having to draw a weapon in anticipation of pointing or shooting another human being I will have been very successful.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I thought IN law precluded civil action being taken by the aggressor/their family if the DGU was proven to be lawful and justified.

Heard it on INGO so it must be true.

Well, there's this little provision in the IC. (around 35-42-3-2).

"No person in this state shall be placed in legal jeopardy of any kind whatsoever for protecting the person or a third person by reasonable means necessary."

Don't ask me what it means. That's above my pay grade.

dbrier

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Indianapolis IN
    If I go my whole life without ever having to draw a weapon in anticipation of pointing or shooting another human being I will have been very successful.
    I'm the same way. I view carrying a gun like having car or home insurance. I hope I never need it, but if you need it you'll be glad you have it.

j4jenk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2012
    Madison County
    I've never had to "use" my firearm or my fire extinguisher. However, I keep multiples of both just in case.

Edit: practicing with the firearms is a lot more fun :ingo:

tlandon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 13, 2014
    USA
    Had to unholster 3 times while living in South Florida. Held firearm at my side, in my hand and all three walked away thankfully.

Top Bottom