• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I attend church at St. Malachy Catholic Church. The property is also the location of their school.

I have always just assumed that carry is a no go since their school is on the same ground. Am I correct in assuming this?

The church and school are also separate buildings.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I researched this a few years ago and came to the conclusion that it was probably a prohibited place unless you had the pastor's permission. There was no caselaw directly on point, but there was some for purposes of the meth statute which addressed a kinda similar situation.

I might start by going on your county's GIS website and seeing if they are platted as different parcels of property.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    The problem with asking one of the priests is that they are never there for a long period of time. We are always getting a new priest, they come and go.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I hate to say it because it is controversial, but we need test cases. Churches have a record of being targeted gun free zones.

A seasoned CC'er should be able to escape detection as long is there are not frequent hugs. If one needs their CC'd gun, they REALLY need their gun. Laws matter little when bullets are flying.

All that said, if you get close to one of the revolving priests, possibly get written permission (that you will treat as a lifetime permit?) Maybe schedule a private meeting to take in your stack of training certificates and encourage a position as a stealth church security official? Give a subtle implication that you're not sure that your family will always be willing to attend without following your normal daily personal security routine?

Last edited:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    IMHO

Rented and owned "in kind" by the Archdiocese. The church building and school building are even on the same parcel of property, in this case.

Don't worry nothing bad ever happens at a church OR a school.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    We don't hug a lot, but I have been poked in the side by a couple of guys. I say I've been working out. We have a rule against carrying that was imposed by an insurance company and never voted on by the church, so... The head of security knows me and that I carry, so...

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I hate to say it because it is controversial, but we need test cases. Churches have a record of being targeted gun free zones.

A seasoned CC'er should be able to escape detection as long is there are not frequent hugs. If one needs their CC'd gun, they REALLY need their gun. Laws matter little when bullets are flying.

All that said, if you get close to one of the revolving priests, possibly get written permission (that you will treat as a lifetime permit?) Maybe schedule a private meeting to take in your stack of training certificates and encourage a position as a stealth church security official? Give a subtle implication that you're not sure that your family will always be willing to attend without following your normal daily personal security routine?

But I don't wanna be a test case...

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Such a terrible law. Only thing GFZ's protect is the bad guys. Fortunately, our church doesn't have a school so we're good to go. If we did, Our pastor would give us permission to carry.

It would be a hassle to go through it every time you got a new priest.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    What about French? Make an analogy to.

I believe that French was a cocaine case (where the school was kinda dicta because there was a park too) followed by Baker which was the Meth case I referenced. I don't consider them directly on point since neither of them deal with the handgun statute and courts have been known to construe definitions differently in malum per se crimes than in malum prohibitum (acknowledging of course that the definition is not found in the drug or the gun statute but rather is independent). That said, the current caselaw does indicate that they would probably be prohibited places but there has never been a test case that I am aware of under the handgun statute.

The only way I know of is to get the consent of a person with the proper authority.

HoosierLife

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Greenwood
    There's probably 50+ people that carry at our church. We also have a private school. The school is not in session on Sunday's, obviously. I'm there during the week and I have written permission to carry from the pastor as the de facto head of the school.

But we are Baptists. We're the reason separation of church and state exists in this country. We take that seriously. No federal or state law can prohibit us from carrying at our church. Thus saith the First Amendment!

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    There's probably 50+ people that carry at our church. We also have a private school. The school is not in session on Sunday's, obviously. I'm there during the week and I have written permission to carry from the pastor as the de facto head of the school.

But we are Baptists. We're the reason separation of church and state exists in this country. We take that seriously. No federal or state law can prohibit us from carrying at our church. Thus saith the First Amendment!

The wall of separation between church and state is not only not in the Constitution, it also has absolutely nothing to do with what you just mentioned.

It simply says that there is to be no state religion. How has this become so convoluted?

dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    One reason I like St. John's on Georgia street and the cathedral no archdiocese schools on grounds. Look up comments by Greenfield Police about carrying at St. Michaels said that when a guy with a suspected firearm was possibly seen in the vestibule that even if he was carrying he was not breaking any laws. I thought that was odd since St. Michaels has a school on the grounds.

Top Bottom