Define "school".

School-of-Fish-III.jpg

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Check with the Elders of the congregation. Many churches that are also affiliated with a school have both incorporated as separate entities. It may even be that the property is separated. Even at that, they could grant you permission to carry. Many churches unfortunately have had to put together security teams for Sunday morning and other services. Often times this includes off-duty law enforcement that are parishioners and many times ordinary citizens that hold office in the church and have been approved to help with security.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    There is always this option LM :whistle:

OBC S****. A young fellow I know got a daytimer style carry option and set it down next to him in church and the fellow next to him picked it up and opened it. The fellow happened to be a deacon who then laid into my friend about how it was against the bla bla bla. I personally would have slapped the fellow and told him to keep his hands off other peoples things. OBC S****.

I'm we for the day when someone will try to say that Sunday school count's as a real school.

They won't do that because they would have to allow Church busses to be painted safert yellow and stop traffic which is now against the law.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    It may even be that the property is separated.
    As I mentioned here:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...157-question-about-my-church.html#post6155202
    St. Malachy School and Parish share the same parcel of land. That entire parcel is owned by the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Indiana.
    https://beaconbeta.schneidercorp.co...PageID=2297&KeyValue=32-01-31-300-001.000-001

If that isn't
    The grounds adjacent to and owned or rented in common with a building or other structure
    then I don't know what is.

HoosierLife

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Greenwood
    The wall of separation between church and state is not only not in the Constitution, it also has absolutely nothing to do with what you just mentioned.

It simply says that there is to be no state religion. How has this become so convoluted?

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;

The Seperation clause was two fold. No state religion or prohibiting the free excercise thereof. Meaning that the church would have no authority over the state and vice versa.

And Bill of Rights, not the Constitution. My mistake.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Does the IC apply to private schools as well as public?
    Yes.

7. "School property" means the following:
    (1) A building or other structure owned or rented by:
    (A) a school corporation;
    (B) an entity that is required to be licensed under IC 12-17.2 or IC 31-27;
    (C) a private school that is not supported and maintained by funds realized from the imposition of a tax on property, income, or sales; or
    (D) a federal, state, local, or nonprofit program or service operated to serve, assist, or otherwise benefit children who are at least three (3) years of age and not yet enrolled in kindergarten, including the following:
    (i) A Head Start program under 42 U.S.C. 9831 et seq.
    (ii) A special education preschool program.
    (iii) A developmental child care program for preschool children.
    (2) The grounds adjacent to and owned or rented in common with a building or other structure described in subdivision (1). - See more at: Ind. Code § 35-41-1-24.7 : Indiana Code - Section 35-41-1-24.7: "School property" defined

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    I've two questions to ask:
    1) Who owns the property? If the church owns the property then to my understanding only the school building itself would be off limits
    2) Even if the OP did carry at his church, and was outed, who is going to prosecute?

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I've two questions to ask:
    1) Who owns the property? If the church owns the property then to my understanding only the school building itself would be off limits
    2) Even if the OP did carry at his church, and was outed, who is going to prosecute?

To your second question, I bet there are some eager lawyers just chomping at the bit to make an example out of a church goer.

Top Bottom