• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    Didn't know you could get safety lenses in regular frames. I'll have to look into that at my next appointment.

NO NO NO. You can't get safety lenses in a regular "dress" frame. Both the lenses and the frame have to be made to ANSI safety specs. Your frame will have Z87 stamped on it and the lenses will be stamped in the upper temporal corners with the mfg's stamp. your insurance will not pay for these as a "first pair" but if your insurance gives discounts on 2nd or 3rd pairs you can use the discount on a safety pair.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Since my prescription is too strong for most lines of Z87.1 HV rated glasses, I went with the Wiley-X Knife with a vermillion lens. While I need a better anti-fog coating, I haven't had much of a problem since removing the facial seal. I have tried 2-3 pairs with inserts, but they only seemed to be in focus when I was looking straight ahead and my view at just 20-30 degrees to the side was almost unusable. I am told this is due to the strength of the prescription and I have noticed most insert lines seem to stop around -4.00.

FWIW, I really enjoy the vermillion lenses. Enough to take the edge off a bright sun and make it tolerable without squinting, but still usable in early morning hunting light. I specifically wanted to be able wear them in the field, since I figure an accident is just as likely to occur there as at the range.

Last edited:

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    NO NO NO. You can't get safety lenses in a regular "dress" frame. Both the lenses and the frame have to be made to ANSI safety specs. Your frame will have Z87 stamped on it and the lenses will be stamped in the upper temporal corners with the mfg's stamp. your insurance will not pay for these as a "first pair" but if your insurance gives discounts on 2nd or 3rd pairs you can use the discount on a safety pair.

Sorry but yes you can. I've had mine for 5 years or so. All the markings are wore off but they were "rated".

Bob

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    Sorry but yes you can. I've had mine for 5 years or so. All the markings are wore off but they were "rated".

Bob
    No you can't, unless...
    you get an old pair of safety stamped lenses re-edged to fit into a dress frame AND the safety markings are edged off in the process.

If the stamps on your lenses were worn off then that would be okay as well. I have never seen a pair of stamped or etched safety lenses that had the markings worn off.

Last edited:

hotcorner5

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2014
    Indianapolis
    You guys need to get some Zooke Anti-fog Spray. That stuff is amazing. I use it on my motorcycle helmet face shield in cold weather and it will not fog.

Great. Thanks for the recommendation. I just placed an order. If it works on your motorcycle in the cold, it has to be good stuff.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    No you can't, unless...
    you get an old pair of safety stamped lenses re-edged to fit into a dress frame AND the safety markings are edged off in the process.

If the stamps on your lenses were worn off then that would be okay as well. I have never seen a pair of stamped or etched safety lenses that had the markings worn off.

Maybe they need to be in a sandstorm or 20:dunno:
    I know what I was wearing so YMMV

Bob

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    Maybe they need to be in a sandstorm or 20:dunno:
    I know what I was wearing so YMMV

Bob
    Funny you should say "sandstorm" Bob. Sandblasting is one of the ways that the markings are put on a pair of safety lenses. I am sure you know what you have in front of your eyes. I just was trying to clarify the difference between what is a true safety pair of frame and lenses vs. what is commonly confused as safety rated. FWIW even plastic lenses can be rated/made into safety glasses at the lab. MOST people won't want the lenses as thick as they will be when made to specs for safety.

red46239

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    SE Indy

I agree, for the most part. OSHA requires that eye protection meet ANSI Z87.1-2010. For eye protection to meet Z87, it must have been tested as a unit (i.e. lenses and frames together). This also means that aftermarket devices (i.e. side sheilds) not sold with the glasses need to be tested with the specific glasses to meet Z87.... You can't just add side shields to be compliant.

Where the above is a little misleading is where you reference 'dress' frames. As long as the dress frames and lenses were tested together by Z87 (and passed) they will be marked as such and good to go. Some examples here: Rimless Safety Glasses

It could be that I don't understand what you mean by 'dress' frames.

All of the above is specifically relating to OSHA and not necessarily for shooting. In my opinion, you would be better off with Z87 safety glasses, but if you feel that you are fine with polycarbonate lenses in standard frames, it is your decision. It really all comes down to what you are trying to protect yourself from - a errant casing here and there, or catastrophic failure.

Audie Murphy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    59   3   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Warsaw
    As someone who has prescription glasses what are some good recommended safety glasses. I have looked around at a few places but haven't found any that fit over glasses.

I usually get the polycarbonate lenses, you pay a little more but well worth it and I can shoot with out safety glasses.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    I agree, for the most part. OSHA requires that eye protection meet ANSI Z87.1-2010. For eye protection to meet Z87, it must have been tested as a unit (i.e. lenses and frames together). This also means that aftermarket devices (i.e. side sheilds) not sold with the glasses need to be tested with the specific glasses to meet Z87.... You can't just add side shields to be compliant.

Where the above is a little misleading is where you reference 'dress' frames. As long as the dress frames and lenses were tested together by Z87 (and passed) they will be marked as such and good to go. Some examples here: Rimless Safety Glasses

It could be that I don't understand what you mean by 'dress' frames.

All of the above is specifically relating to OSHA and not necessarily for shooting. In my opinion, you would be better off with Z87 safety glasses, but if you feel that you are fine with polycarbonate lenses in standard frames, it is your decision. It really all comes down to what you are trying to protect yourself from - a errant casing here and there, or catastrophic failure.
    By dress frame I am referring to any non safety rated frame I actually wear one of the styles from your link at work I do not think I would if I was still in a factory floor enviornment but it is rated for such use My ubuntu update is messing with my keyboard sorry for not punctuating

Top Bottom