• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 311thewiser

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Valpo
    I just got a .22 bolt action and i am trying to set it up for hunting. I want a scope and a bipod for it and of course a sling. The problem is I dont know anything about scopes at all or how to zero them. The gun is a marlin 881. I dont want to spend more than 50 bucks on a scope. Any suggestions?

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    Go to walmart and get a CenterPointe for 40 bucks. I have two of them, both on Marlin .22's and they work just great. Walmart also has cheap slings and bipods as well. Probably $15 and $6 respectably.

As far as zeroing it in is easy. Find a decent range 50 yards is good, shoot about 10 shots and look at the center of the group. Move your sites accordingly (inst. manual will say how). Shoot another ten shots and so on. Once you get it centered you are good to go!

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    in all honestly there is no scope under 50 bucks worth buying. they just dont work. the cheapest scope made worth buying is around 100. im not trying to sound like a optics snob but ive been down the exact same road as your heading and it will cost you more in the long run buying and replacing your 50 dollar scope

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    in all honestly there is no scope under 50 bucks worth buying. they just dont work. the cheapest scope made worth buying is around 100. im not trying to sound like a optics snob but ive been down the exact same road as your heading and it will cost you more in the long run buying and replacing your 50 dollar scope

If your budget is $50, buy ammo and get good with your iron sights. Your wasting your time with cheap optics.

this. 50 bucks wont even touch something that will be remotly reliable. use the iron sights or save for a bit longer.

311thewiser

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Valpo
    I always thougt the rule was not to spend more than 50% of the purchase price of the rifle on a scope. I paid $121 thats why i set the dollar amount so low.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I always thougt the rule was not to spend more than 50% of the purchase price of the rifle on a scope. I paid $121 thats why i set the dollar amount so low.

I've always heard the minimum is half the price but sometimes you end up at twice the price of the rifle.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    the rule of thumb is to spend as much on the scope as you did the rifle. i dont own a gun that has a cheaper optic on top of it.

check out my group buy, the buy i am putting together is the cheapest scope i will own and trust. its what sits on my cz 452 until i can affort a 900 dollar optic.

granted i am an optic snob, but the advice given here is accurate, you will get what you pay for.

311thewiser

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Valpo
    I am open to suggestions up to $100 it will be for target and varmit hunting. I am at walmart now and they have about 6 scopes for under $100. Tapsco, busnell, etc.... Anything worth checking out or should i just talk to the guys at blythes?

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I have a 20 year old simmons scope that works just as well as the day I bought it for like $20. Lucky I guess.

I am not saying cheaper scopes dont "work". sometimes you use what you have/can afford, but in the end i stand by what i have said.

if you need a car that you have to depend on, you dont go buy a 500 dollar 1988 chevy cavolier w/ 250,000 miles on it. if you want a car just to drive around in on the side thats fine.

if you want a scope that you can trust no matter what temp outside, or whatever weather conditions, or trust that EVERY time you go the the range or field the gun will be zeroed, and will return to zero. and will last many years, then you buy a quality scope. if you dont care if the scope will hold up to abuse, then a 50 dollar centerpoint is fine.

I for one USE my rifles and am not easy on them by any means, therefore i require equipment that can stand up to my requirements.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I like the bushnell scopes, they have a good warrenty also. Walmart may not be the best deal you can find, and i dont see what you have in front of you. Not all bushnells are created equal, but from the brands you have listed as being in front of you, bushnell would be what i would steer you towards.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    i have had good success w/ customers using simmons whitetail classics.

PM vette he has spoken very highly about a scope on his cz that costs around 120 bucks i think.

other than that, i have not had my hands on a scope that i felt i could trust that cost less than 200 in a long time.

vortex is a very decent up and coming company that i believe offers some budget oriented options, but again i am not familiar.

man, i should have become a scope dealer instead of a gunsmith.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    after seeing the prostaff, that rings a bell. i have had hands on experience w/ those and as long as you are not dialing repeatedly for differant shots (almost impossible w/ that scope anyways because of the lack of exposed turrets) then i would trust it also.

while not a fan of nikon, the prostaff offers a decent amount of quality for the money.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I am saving to put a vortex viper pst 4-14x50 FFP moa/moa scope on my cz 452. it retails at over 900 dollars.

my wifes .308 has the same scope but 6-24x power and i would put it on par w/ a NF

these are the vortex's i trust, but they seem like a decent company. I would buy their cheaper stuff based on my experience w/ their nicer stuff. take it w/ a grain of salt though as i have never even looked through one of their cheaper options.

Last edited:

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I would ditch the bipod idea for now, this thread seems to be all about the fundamentals, with that said, take an appleseed and learn how to shoot sling supported, you will never regret it.

Project Appleseed - Search States

USGI Sling Nylon or Cotton
    sling.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrKyU2mPWIY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Y67Jkfu48&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PLECE4FA4DB2D31CDB

Top Bottom