• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FERLACH

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have owned several cheap scopes that either the crosshairs fell loose or they would not zero. several of them were on 22 rifles. I have never had it happen on a $200.00 up scope.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    :dunno: I thought this thread was all about scopes :dunno:

after all it is titled "question about scopes"

Thats because you have tunnel vision. 24 and still ADD :):

I just got a .22 bolt action and i am trying to set it up for hunting. I want a scope and a bipod for it and of course a sling. The problem is I dont know anything about scopes at all or how to zero them. The gun is a marlin 881. I dont want to spend more than 50 bucks on a scope. Any suggestions?

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    I got a Simmon Whitetail Classic but it too much power for the .22 rifle. INDYGUNWORK put it in for me. It's a tight as it can be. Works great with my 30-06 remy 700 BDL.

Harry2110

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    If your lucky you might be able to pick up a BSA Sweet 22 scope at dicks for around 55 including tax or go online and order one that you like from the store. Barskia is also cheap and pretty good. I think your near a bass pro go look at scopes there and then go home or on your phone and look up prices as you wont believe the deals.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Take it from someone who has tried to go cheap. listen to these guys, "buy a decent scope the first time". Save yourself the hassle of having to go through it later.

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    I have two CenterPoint Scopes ($50 each) both on Marlin .22's and they both reached and hold zero. One is a bolt and one is a semi-auto. I have a Bushnell Banner $200 scope on a Remi 700 .308 that got and holds zero. However, after two trips to the range I noticed I lost my ability to zoom. It is stuck at full zoom.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Nitrex Dr2 is the name of vettes scope

nitrex tr2 is my scope and i absolutly love it. i cant recal the exact adjustment range but its close to 3-15. imo its one of the best scopes in its price range for the man who dials elevation for range. the wotac in a little more but clicks are a little more autible (spelling:dunno:)

for the man who holds elevation its much easier (and cheaper) scope. for right at 100 bucks you can go with bushnell banner, simmons whitetail classic, vortex crossfire nikon prostaff. there might be others but thats the main 4 i would look at.

one of the main things you will pay for iin a scope is tracking. if you want to dial range and the scope doesn't track well basically you have just unsighted your scope by dialing out 20 clicks and back 20 clicks. the short story of what happens is the gears in the scope that adjust the crosshairs arn't exactly perfect. so your first 5 clicks may be 1/4 moa, the next 3 3/8ths the next 10 be 1/8ths. the clicks are not the same so you dont know what you actually adjusted your crosshair. then on the way back down they are diffrent than on the way up (i cant remember exactly why) so you may go up 8 moa and down 10 moa.

this is why scopes that you hold range is cheaper because you sight them in, put on your caps and leave it alone. when holding for range you run in to the ffp/sfp wich is a whole new topic. basically on ffp you zoom in on the object at the same rate as the crosshair so if you see 10 mil dots on your recticle at 3x you only see 3 on 20x.

you will not find a ffp in your price range so be weary of the fact your hold overs are only good on a certain zoom. i thought my muzzleloader had gotten bumped once because the night before season i used my 300yd holdover (on 18x) to check zero and missed by many feet. i got pissed for awhile then realized i was on 6x not 18. i tuened up the zoom and bullseye.

if i can help you pick a scope or talk you threw your options send me a pm and ill give you my number and we can talk out your options instid of type.

Last edited:

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    I have had no problems with a $50 Bushnell rimfire scope on my Marlin 60. On everyother long gun I have a Nikon Prostaff. 4 3-9x40's and 2 4-12x40's. I haven't seen anything else for the money that can beat it. I am usiing everything for hunting and range purposes.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I have had no problems with a $50 Bushnell rimfire scope on my Marlin 60. On everyother long gun I have a Nikon Prostaff. 4 3-9x40's and 2 4-12x40's. I haven't seen anything else for the money that can beat it. I am usiing everything for hunting and range purposes.

nikon prostaff should be on my list of holding elevatin scopes a couple posts ago, because the 2 i have will not track

cdscds

Plinker
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    The scopes in that price range are about all trash.... Take some good advice that u like I did will probably have to learn the hard way..... Get a 100 to 150 used vari x 2...... When it comes to scopes u get what you pay for forsure

Top Bottom