• ...and so much more!
  • typo31

Plinker
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Aug 26, 2012
    Whiteland
    I have owned 2 of the PT111 G2's within that last 2-3 years and have three friends that all bought them after shooting one of mine. The first one I owned was quite awhile ago. I really liked it and had zero issues. I had a friend that like it so much, he offered me a deal I could not refuse. I bought my second one when they were on sale at PSA for $199 plus shipping plus ffl. It shot left. The adjustable rear sight would not adjust at all. No matter what I did, it would always shoot left. I had two other people try it and they were both left as well. One of my friends had the same issue with the rear sight not adjusting even though they are made to be adjustable. Other two friends say they work great and have had no issues.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    My first Taurus semi-auto was a PT945 with rosewood grips (all stainless, none of that brassy/gold crap on it). I have to admit that it started to have FTF issues...after somewhere around 8-9,000 rounds down range. Put a new recoil spring in it, sold it to a buddy, and it's still going strong. It wasn't world class on accuracy, but it was very reliable, easy to clean, and felt awesome in my hand--natural pointer, nice controllable recoil. Had a PT940 that was OK to shoot...just not as good of a feel to it. Sold them both and went into revolvers instead.

Both were solid guns, shot well, and were carried quite a bit with minimal wear marks. If I had spare cash on hand and saw another 945 like the one I sold, I'd probably buy one again.

Those were the only semi's I've had from Taurus, but I've got no complaints about either.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    My experience with several different Taurii, has been the extensive use of their lifetime warranty! Couldn't/Wouldn't ever own another revolver or auto!

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    If you are wanting something to learn how to shoot with, and it will mainly just be a range gun...then maybe. I don't own a Taurus auto anymore. Something about a handgun that malfunctions makes me want to get rid of them. I do still own 3 Taurus revolvers. A 65, 605 and 85. The 65 is my oldest. I bought it 20-25 years ago as a back up in case my GP100 ever failed. Neither revolver ever failed...and I still have them all. The Ruger is still my favorite. I would look at a Ruger or a Kahr, before I bought a Taurus.

TheHive

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    I have had three pt99/pt92 And still have a 92 it never let me down 5k plus on it and I found 36 round mags for it and it runs really nice, the G2 has had its share of issues from what I read,but the M&p 9c is. Perfect first carry and will hold it's value well they can be had for 400 if you shop around.

mcjon77

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2013
    I have 2 Taurus handguns (not counting my Heritage Arms Rough Rider, even though Taurus now owns Heritage Arms). My first Taurus, a PT111 G2 9mm runs flawlessly. I especially like the fact that it takes Sig 226 mags, in addition to the standard 12 round Taurus mags.

My second Taurus is a Model 85 Poly-Protector. I had to send it back before firing a round. During dry fire (with snap caps) I noticed that the cylinder release was VERY tight. As I opened and closed the cylinder, it got worse and worse until it finally completely locked up on me. I sent it back to Taurus and they returned it after a few weeks. It works fine now.

I wouldn't pick a Taurus as a first gun, I would probably pick it as a SECOND or THIRD gun, though. For my first gun, I don't want to have to return it and be left unarmed while I wait for it to be repaired. With Taurus firearms (from my experience and that of others) the problems tend to show up fairly quickly (like within 100 rounds), so a trip or two to the range and some dry fire should be enough to tell if you have a lemon. If so, then send it back and carry your other firearm in the interim period.

I do carry my model 85 since they have fixed the problem. I am also looking at picking up 2-4 other Taurus handguns over the next few years. However, I know that I am going to run a few boxes of ammo through them at the range before I am confident that the gun is reliable for me. Then again, I do that for all of my guns.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I currently own two Taurus semi-autos.
    First is a PT99. Had it for a decade or more. Not the first issue, and I bought it used.
    Second is a PT1911. It's only a couple of years old, and no issues.

I have owned 3 different Taurus poly semi's, and I've sold them all. Completely dissatisfied with each and every one.
    A PT738- Total P.O.S.
    PT145- Not bad, no issues, just didn't like the trigger.
    24/7 OSS D/S in .40S&W Also no issues, just didn't like the trigger.

Now, revolvers are a different story.
    I own 5 Taurus revolvers. No issues with any of them. Love every one, and will not get rid of them.
    6-shot .327fed/mag 2" snubbie
    5-shot Titanium .357mag 2" snubbie
    7-shot 607 .357mag 4" ported
    5-shot Judge .45Colt/.410 4" Ultra-Lite
    5-shot Raging Bull .454 Casull 8-3/8" ported

YMMV

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I have a 24/7 long slide that's included in the "not-a-recall." It's been reliable and shoots POA=POI. The plastic cover on the rear of the slide fell off, and the trigger is pretty horrible. Magazines were (are?) hard to find, as were holsters. It has Heine Straight-8 sights. It's been in its case since shortly after I bought it... I realized there were better options for me, but it always went "bang" for me.

I plan on eventually sending it back under the terms of the "not-a-recall," and from what I've been able to glean from the internet I'll be offered a new pistol. I'm hoping to have it replaced with Taurus' version of a J-frame but I don't know if that's an option.

I don't have anything against Taurus per se, they just don't make anything that appeals to me at this point.

joncon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 30, 2013
    Bartholomew County
    I have a Taurus PT111 one of the early 10 rounders. I've never had FTE or FTF with it. Don't shoot it much anymore but it has thousands of trouble free rounds through it.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I have a 24/7 long slide that's included in the "not-a-recall." It's been reliable and shoots POA=POI. The plastic cover on the rear of the slide fell off, and the trigger is pretty horrible. Magazines were (are?) hard to find, as were holsters. It has Heine Straight-8 sights. It's been in its case since shortly after I bought it... I realized there were better options for me, but it always went "bang" for me.

I plan on eventually sending it back under the terms of the "not-a-recall," and from what I've been able to glean from the internet I'll be offered a new pistol. I'm hoping to have it replaced with Taurus' version of a J-frame but I don't know if that's an option.

I don't have anything against Taurus per se, they just don't make anything that appeals to me at this point.

It is a recall now, and it would be replaced by a gun similar to what you have. I don't believe you have the option of choosing what you want for the replacement.

https://www.tauruscartersettlement.com/

indybrownsfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Mooresville
    I have the gun your thinking about.
    I have put about 300 rounds through it without a single problem.
    It was a little hard to take apart at first but once I figured that out I was good to go.
    I bought mine at Terre Haute Guns ..got a great deal...$180.00 on sale.
    For the price its not a bad little gun...I also have the Shield 9..That might be worth a look.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    I'd buy something else and avoid the potential of having to send it off to Miami for a vacation. And yes I've owned several. While I've never had any issues I know people who have.

Drotis

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 17, 2012
    Sellersburg
    I had always heard Taurus guns were crap too. One of my co-workers bought a PT 111 Millennium G2 from PSA this spring for $199 and he liked it (and he is a certified "gun nut"). For that price, I gave it a shot. Flawless right out of the box. No issues with first 250 rounds of a variety of ammo. Appears to be well made. It lives in my truck. If someone breaks in and steals it, meh, $200 gun. If you watch PSA daily deals, it pops up periodically for $199. No regrets.

indybrownsfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Mooresville
    I had always heard Taurus guns were crap too. One of my co-workers bought a PT 111 Millennium G2 from PSA this spring for $199 and he liked it (and he is a certified "gun nut"). For that price, I gave it a shot. Flawless right out of the box. No issues with first 250 rounds of a variety of ammo. Appears to be well made. It lives in my truck. If someone breaks in and steals it, meh, $200 gun. If you watch PSA daily deals, it pops up periodically for $199. No regrets.

I agree good gun for the price..and I also have had no issues..Great price for a decent weapon.

indybrownsfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Mooresville

I agree a great little gun for the price

Top Bottom