• ...and so much more!
  • Klanham5576

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    NE Indiana
    IMHO, the PT-111 G2 is the best "value" on the market today. After 600-700 rounds mine has never failed to feed or eject. They can be found new for as low as $210. Twelve rounds, lifetime warrantee. Are they Berettas? No. Are they Glocks? No. But if you want a truck gun, or a daily carry on a budget, you are going to get a lot of gun for $210.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Revolver or Semi-Auto? There have been some of the semi-auto models subject to recall. Taurus doesn't call it a recall, but they will fix them or replace them if you send it in and it can't be fixed. Several models are included.

If I remember correctly there was a class action law suit against Taurus regarding their semi-auto pistols and as a result of that suit the alleged "recall" was commenced.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine

PaulKersey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 16, 2012
    Evansville
    The problem with the Taurus is that many of their models are about 9/10 as good as the originals that they copy, but that last 10% makes a big difference. When you pick up a PT92 and then handle a Beretta 92 series gun, the difference is very quickly evident (in my opinion). There is a smoothness and precision in the Beretta that is largely absent in the Taurus. The only steel revolver malfunction I have ever experienced was a Taurus 85CH. The gun was clean, and the cylinder just bound up and would not rotate. You can get lucky with certain models, but I have lost interest in them. To me, I would buy a used original instead of a new clone.

pilotof727s

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2014
    New Palestine
    I have a PT 709 Slim. Never had a problem with it but then again I don't carry it and it's not my go-to gun for home defense. I just wanted a cheaper 9mm to take to the range. The trigger does have a lot of take-up but its fairly accurate. I got it a Rural King for around $250 I think. Fun to play around with or one to keep in a truck but you get what you pay for.

genXer

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Owned a PT92 for awhile, in the few hundred rounds I put through it I never had any issues. Although there plenty of horror stories out there about Taurus and their customer service. One good thing about the PT92, Beretta mags are easy to modify to work in it.

WebHobbit

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Spencer County
    Taurus is one of those brands you try to save money with and then a while later you buy what you SHOULD have went for in the beginning and you sell the junk (at a loss). My advice -just skip the "starter gun brand" delay your purchase a bit and get something high quality. What's high quality?

In revolvers this means:

Old Smith and Wesson (look for guns from the early 1990s or before). This will get you back when they used all forged steel and didn't put goofy "lock holes" on the sides of their frames. Many stainless models from the 80s and 90s also had beautiful 'flash-chromed' triggers and hammers too.

New (or used) Rugers.

Virtually any era Colt (sadly they don't currently make revolvers but a rep at the last NRA annual meeting STRONGLY hinted that would change soonish)

In semi-autos this list would include:

Glock (ugly as hell though)
    Springfield
    Smith & Wesson
    and probably a few others that I don't have personal experience with

Why am I an authority on the matter? I don't know about "authority" but I'm one of those guys who have been shooting/carrying for 25 years and have owned scores of guns...but usually not more than 2-3 at one time! So I have tried a LOT of guns that I wasn't satisfied with for one reason or another. And one of them was a new Taurus 85 snub .38 that had cylinder charge holes so over-sized that my bullets were KEY-HOLING (hitting the paper side ways) at 21 feet!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I purchased their 1911 stainless.
    I was not pleased with the fit of the slide.
    I contacted Taurus.
    They sent me a shipping label.
    I got back a very good handgun.
    NO CHARGE

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I owned and carried a model 85. An all steel gun but never failed to fire. The double action trigger was very rough.
    I eventually replaced it with a Smith 642. All in all a much nicer hand gun. And the double action trigger pull is much smoother.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I picked up a pt709 last thanksgiving for $165 and except for 2 wolf steel case rounds it has ran flawless. I put 300rds of hst rounds through it before i carried it.

TangoSierraEcho

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2016
    Monroe County
    Do you guys suggest it being a good beginning gun because I just recently turned 18 and recently got my permit

I have a PT92 that ended up being my duty weapon when I worked for a small department that had no budget to buy weapons (small town, there were only two of us and I wasn't full time). I ran hundreds of rounds through it without fail, I've had the occasional feed problem depending on the ammo I used but in all not bad.

Personally I am not a believer in a "beginning gun" concept. It either works for you or doesn't. Go to a range that lets you rent guns and try different models until you find one that works for you. If you can afford it I would focus on top tier manufacturers like S&W, Glock, H&K, Kimber, etc. Try to stay away from off brands like Taurus. I had and still have my Taurus but the only reason I had it was because it was all I could afford at the time.

Just my two cents

One Shot One Kill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 15, 2014
    Near The Dunes
    I agree with those saying save your pennies and pony up the extra for the big brands. Taurus makes guns that work (most of them, not IME personally), but a ruger or smith will last a lifetime (or more). There are certainly worse brands, but with a big purchase like a firearm, the extra cost is worth the increase in quality. I will say they have decent customer service, but that at times can also be hit or miss. With my luck, anything hit or miss is always miss, so I try to not push my luck anymore with cheaper off brands (guns or not).

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Ruger will also save a few pennies w/o the worry a Taurus brings. IF you get a lemon, Ruger makes it right without a question. Also, Ruger CS isn't something that takes forever, they fix it or replace it and it never takes more than a couple of weeks. Usually just one IME. I am never going to buy another Taurus despite the fact that many of you have had a good experience. Even a broken clock is right twice a day. I haven't had very good luck with Taurus, ever. The ONLY decent gun I bought from them was a PT145. Never had a problem with it, sold it though as I never felt good carrying it because it was a Taurus and it wasn't a great target/range gun. Otherwise it ran well and never gave me trouble. That was once out of many Taurus handguns and long guns I have owned.

I think I still have a .22 rifle somewhere, it never gave me trouble either and was sort of fun at the range so TWICE. It was billed as an Arcade type Rifle, like the ones at the fair. I liked it actually and have fired it a lot though not recently. MAYBE I need to dig it out for Saturday at PROteq....

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    My favorite pistol was a Generation 1 24/7 Pro DS. When the trigger failed, I sent it in for service. Months later I was sent a Gen 2 to replace it. No other option. Sent the Gen 2 back for service twice before I sold it.

My TCP is now on its second trip to Miami. They say 4-6 weeks for repair.

I bought an FNS-9 to replace the 24/7, a police trade-in S&W 640-1 to replace the TCP (it will be sold when I get it back from Taurus), but I may pick up a Bersa in .380 to use the ammo I purchased for the TCP.

Taurus has been good to me; but their service was slow and I have lost confidence in their product. I will not buy another Taurus until they re-establish basic quality control and restore their reputation.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Bought a new TCP a few years ago. Nice little pocket gun, but would not function reliably. It made two trips to Miami, then I traded it. A friend bought a TCP (without asking me); on the second shot, it jammed so badly that we needed a gunsmith to take it apart before he sent it back. It's been OK since. I bought a PT111-G2, and the trigger would not always drop the hammer. After a trip back to Taurus, it now works reliably and I sometimes carry it. The same friend bought one of those, too; same problem as mine. I also have an 85 - no issues.

IMO, they're good value for money, but I suggest lots of break-in and practice until you either trust it or trade it.

rstone

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2017
    Fishers
    I can honestly say that the PT111 G2 has been flawless in my hands and I own (2) of them. Some may disagree with my approach, but at $219 ea, I don't worry about having them stolen from my car ( I have one in each vehicle) and breaking the bank. This allows me to have a gun at my knee in each vehicle without having to continually pull my G43 out of my IWB holster each time I get in the car. I am further impressed with the PT111 G2 size, feel, safety and magazine capacity, Don't get me wrong, if I didn't find these to be reliable and accurate, I would never use for personal protection, just cause they're relatively inexpensive. I do carry a Glock 43 on my person at most all times. When I am in a vehicle, I feel a little more confined or pinned down by a threats. I like the extra capacity of 12 rounds to buy me space/time to escape. When I am in the open, I am fairly comfortable that I can escape or eliminate the threat with 6-7 shots. The Taurus PT 11 G2 does exactly what I wanted it to do and at a reliable price.

Top Bottom