• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    Screen shots of the threats and take them to the police, start a paper trail of the threats, maybe file for a protective order and always carry

^^THIS THIS THIS^^^

Screen cap EVERYTHING he sends you and record any conversation you have with him. File that information as evidence and keep your own records. Carry at home and when you're out and about and keep a watchful eye on your family.

Also, talk to a lawyer. You may not need one on retainer but having a conversation with one ahead of time would probably work to your favor in this case.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Sounds like you're doing it right - document everything.

I'll second - get some training. The gun is a tool, not a talisman. Get your daughter (really both kids) the training to be safe and to use the tools safely. She's obviously already learned the addage "A restraining order is just a piece of paper".
    As others have said - she's old enough (sounds like both would be) to protect themselves responsibly in the home.

Lots of training around Indy and elsewhere - there's an entire sub-forum on it ... (just saying the obvious) ...

Also - look up the Tueller Drill (sp? anyone?) ... good luck and stay safe.

Shawn156

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    Indiana
    My daughter knows how to use my firearm.I take her to the range with me often,but still I think a safety course wouldn't hurt either of us.
    I don't screen shot anything,I just print it out and file it with the folder I have had since 2008.I split it up by year.
    They can't call me,that I have blocked.They can call but it goes to voicemail which they won't leave and text messages are blocked so I don't know if they are texting me or not.

My son is not quite ready to shoot.He seems a bit immature for his age so if I don't have the gun with me,it's in the safe and my daughter and g/f have the code to it.
    I am not worried about home protection,that is pretty much covered.It's being out in public that worries me. They are crazy,both get nut checks as well so they are certified crazy. I really don't know how far they would go with coming at me,I don't think anyone can answer that,but I will protect myself and family one way or another.I have a "tool" in the car that would hurt if I whacked him with it a few times.

output

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 13, 2014
    NW Indiana
    Be careful what you post on here. You need a restraining order if you don't already have one. That way if you are out and they see you, they are required by law to leave the area. I believe the restraining order can also help with the online harassment. In all reality the restraining order may not help avoid a confrontation but it just another piece of paper that shows you are trying keep them away from you. If you can use it to have him locked up again for threatening you and your kids then go for it. Best of luck.

Shawn156

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    Indiana
    Be careful what you post on here. You need a restraining order if you don't already have one. That way if you are out and they see you, they are required by law to leave the area. I believe the restraining order can also help with the online harassment. In all reality the restraining order may not help avoid a confrontation but it just another piece of paper that shows you are trying keep them away from you. If you can use it to have him locked up again for threatening you and your kids then go for it. Best of luck.
    I have tried that already and it seems to be just a piece of paper with words written on it that mean nothing. Not sure why they even bother with ROs if they don't enforce them.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    Take some classes or talk with a lawyer. You need to know what the law says. I am thinking of Guy's class on Indiana law. Worth every penny.

With your kids, if they are being threatened, that would fall under this new Bullying requirement for schools. That gets a whole new level of involvement going. NOthing for you, but for them.

For your records ... good to print things. Keep a photocopy out of your home. Safety deposit box perhaps? Scanned and in an encrypted cloud server?

Wish I had time to do this, but perhaps some (non-weapon) self-defense classes for you and your kids? Good for fitness, flexibility, and heck - you might learn something! :)

BrewerGeorge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Plainfield
    If I were in this situation, I think I'd move about half the state away. Is that possible? I'm sure it's probably not ideal, but could you do it? Three lives (yours and your kids) are worth a pretty big financial sacrifice, IMO.

Shawn156

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    Indiana
    It would not be ideal for me to uproot my kids from where I live. I have no family outside of this area and my daughter is a senior this coming school year and is taking a class so that at the end of the year she will be a certified EMT then off to College.Plus my girlfriend and her daughter live with me. I also can't afford to make such a move and find a job like I have here that works with me when my back goes out.

My back is in not so great shape so self defense classes would just make me worse off. Good idea though. I have been busy today no time to call about safety course classes.

Shawn156

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    Indiana
    Well,I think my problem is gone for good. I told my ex that if this continues I will be at the prosecutors office everyday until they haul her and her husband off to jail for contempt/invasion of privacy,whichever way they want to word it.
    Poo was really deep today and she accused me of many things that simply were not true when I got custody of my kids. She blamed me for her mistakes and I flat out told her to grow up.She tells people I lied in court and that I paid the Judge off to get them. I knew she was mental but my gosh,this was just crazy mental.I set her straight.I told her I will make several copies of what paperwork I have an mail it to all her so called friends and see how many she has left after they find out the real truth. So I think I finally got it through her head that I am not going to put up with her BS lies anymore and that if she wants to keep going I will spend the money and make copies and send them to the friends I know she has. I would have to drive around and get addresses but it would be worth it to get her out of mine and my families life. This wasn't the week to start in on me.I had some bad things happen the past few weeks and today was the final part of it. Now me and my fiance can hopefully move on and not worry about things wit her health.
    I let my daughter read what I wrote to her mom.It was nothing that she didn't already know about anyways but with my daughter,I have to show her I am still going to do what ever it takes to keep it quiet here so she can focus on school when it starts back up.
    Sorry I did rant on here and way off topic,but my point is,I stopped the situation without even mentioning that I now own a firearm.If she knew I did,she would accuse me of making threats with it and it would ruin the enjoyment I get from going out with my fiance and daughter and friends target shooting. I did buy it for self defense but mostly,I just like going to the range and target shooting,especially when stress is getting the best of me.

Me and my daughter were talking about safety courses today and I am going to call around Monday and see what prices are.I am wanting to say $75 for the course which would be money well spent on my end.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    It is far, far, far in your best interests to NEVER EVER ONCE talk to your ex or anyone associated with her without having your phone recording the conversation. Otherwise someday it is going to be her word against yours on an important subject and you may come out the loser. Especially if she tells people you threatened her. The courts are very sympathetic to a weeping woman.

I would make this a rule of life as important as looking both ways at a train crossing. Just don't do without it. Train wrecks come in many forms, and a vindictive ex and boy friend that you KNOW are willing to lie about you is one of the prime kinds waiting to happen.

Shawn156

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    Indiana
    It is far, far, far in your best interests to NEVER EVER ONCE talk to your ex or anyone associated with her without having your phone recording the conversation. Otherwise someday it is going to be her word against yours on an important subject and you may come out the loser. Especially if she tells people you threatened her. The courts are very sympathetic to a weeping woman.

I would make this a rule of life as important as looking both ways at a train crossing. Just don't do without it. Train wrecks come in many forms, and a vindictive ex and boy friend that you KNOW are willing to lie about you is one of the prime kinds waiting to happen.
    That's the thing with them,they have cried wolf to many times and no one listens to them now. I am careful and the threats were mainly over FaceBook which I have printed out and put up and I didn't erase the messages off there either. They have no idea I carry and I CC and know pretty much where they go so that I can avoid them as much as possible. I know what they are capable of trying to do but it always falls apart because I can always show where I am. Example I have is they said I busted their car window one night.Cops come to my door a few days later and ask me about it and I show a picture of where I was at which was geo tagged with time,date and location. It would of been hard for me to drive 20 miles and get back to take a picture at the same time. I also didn't know where they lived at the time.The detective wasn't happy that they lied and went after them for false reporting. I also know they have both been in jail a few times for false reporting.

I don't hang out with anyone who knows them and am careful with who I talk to. I don't let it be known that I do carry and I don't post any pictures or comments referring to guns on FB so they have can't try and use it against me. I don't think they are on my friends list under a different name,but anything is possible. I know when it comes to firearms,especially now,you have to really watch what is said so no one takes anything out of context. I do have a lot of LEO friends so that also helps since they know I would never make any sort of threat towards anyone and would testify to that as well if needed. Like I mentioned I would not use deadly force on anyone if I can find a way out of not having to.If someone came at me with a knife I'd make it known I have a weapon,and if they still come at me and got within so many feet of me,then I have to protect myself.

I do have 2 people who were friends with her on Facebook but they don't talk to her anymore since we split up 6 years ago.They knew she done wrong and didn't agree with what she done.I go shooting with one of them an we have became very good friends over the past 6 years.She helped me after I got custody of my kids and would split my kids mom head open before she would talk to her again. The other person i talk to every now and then but she mainly talks to my daughter since they were close when me and my ex were together.She was POd at her for running off and causing me many problems. I hate telling these things on here about my ex but she is a piece of work and somethings are hard to believe that she done but things happen. I stood up for my kids back then and will until I no longer am alive.

Last edited:

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    I am just looking for answers.I do have a protective order on the kids mom to keep her away,but everywhere,it's like a worthless piece of paper. I can't get one on him since there is no blood relationship between me and him or him and my kids.
    So what does a person do under these circumstances?

FIFY. Don't trust a restraining order.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    There's no way to get a restraining order? Also, if he ever attacks you, just remember that the use of deadly force is justifiable in the commission of a forcible felony. Use as much only if necessary, you may want to consider moving if you must. I wish more could be done friend.

Top Bottom