Question for the "ammo hoarders " huh.. I mean collectors.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Informed Decision

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Evansville
    A quick thought here. When you purchase more ammo , do you date it so you can shoot the older ammo first? With today's manufacturing processes .. Is it necessary ? How long would one expect dry ammo to be viable? I believe I've read on here where someone had used some ammo from the 70's. I'm just starting to "collect "so I want to do it right. Another question .. When you are "collecting", are you purchasing practice ammo or ammo for when SHTF?

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    I would absolutely use factory ammo from the 70's. Heck, I've got surplus older than that as I'm sure many others here do also. Keep it dry and you'll be fine is what I've always been told and so far no problems with it being reliable. I keep both practice reloaded ammo and precision reloaded ammo at all times. I figure that's what winter is for and I do a lot of casting and reloading.

I do note each batch on the date made and shoot the older ammo first. I especially note all the pertinent information used for the specs when reloaded.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    I write the month and year on the box so I can use the oldest first. Ammo lasts a long time in storage. I just rotate the stock as a general practice like I would anything else.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I just dump it all into ammo cans. I don't have storage room for a bunch of boxes. I try to rotate out so it's older stuff on top, but I only shoot 5 different calibers right now so it's not too much of an issue.

I don't label or date any of it other than by caliber.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I just dump it all into ammo cans. I don't have storage room for a bunch of boxes. I try to rotate out so it's older stuff on top, but I only shoot 5 different calibers right now so it's not too much of an issue.

I don't label or date any of it other than by caliber.

Same here. I hand load and have factory stuff. I have consolidated calibers and dump all ammo into cans. I had an 8mm Mauser not that long ago and was firing surplus ammo head stamped 1947. Had no issues at all. Also had some newer stuff from the 80's.

Age is not a problem as long as it is kept dry.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Load it up and shoot it...buy it and shoot it. Dates not required.

Before this relatively recent scarcity issue, with both components and rimfire ammo, I don't recall ever putting a date on any ammo. There was never a need to since it wouldn't be sitting around long enough to be a problem. I've got powder that's 15-20 years old, but having been properly stored, there's no reason to worry about it yet. Then again, I don't stockpile ammo, per se...everything I buy or put together is meant to be shot, not set aside. YMMV

Informed Decision

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Evansville
    Everyone keeps talking about keeping ammo dry. What would be considered wet? At least at this time I do not load so my question pertains more to factory ammo. I assume, as long as I make an effort to try that most probably will be good enough to shoot for a long time. Is there a way to know for sure?

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I put the date it gets to me onto the crates and tins. I shoot what I guy though it is hard to shoot all I buy so some will be around for scares and such. As for the proverbial SHTF situation, I suppose it will be there for that too but it isn't something I am doing on purpose.

Top Bottom