Question for the "ammo hoarders " huh.. I mean collectors.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Everyone keeps talking about keeping ammo dry. What would be considered wet? At least at this time I do not load so my question pertains more to factory ammo. I assume, as long as I make an effort to try that most probably will be good enough to shoot for a long time. Is there a way to know for sure?

Wet can be anywhere from slightly damp to sitting on the bottom of the ocean for a century.

When ammo is subject to thermal cycling in a high humidity environment it can pull moisture into the casing, albeit very slowly. This moisture can't escape easily and COULD reduce powder and primer sensitivity (water does not deactivate primers or powder, it just desensitizes it, dry it out and it'll still go bang most of the time).

But that's not really important. What is more important is that the metal can corrode when moisture can condense on it. Dissimilar metals create a galvanic response increasing corrosion and so while ammo can be stored for years under harsh conditions, it's best to keep it in as temperature stable an environment as possible, preferably a cool and dry one.

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    I don't mark dates on my ammo. I've gone through thousands of rounds that belonged to my father dating back to the late 70's and never experienced a single issue. These were rounds stored in closets within shoe boxes, and later packing boxzes in musky basements. Ammo purchased today will likely be usable longer than I will be alive.

BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld
    I mark my ammo by date purchased and amount paid. I keep the ammo in a heated and cooled environment. I know people that have shot ammo over 40 years old and it shoots just fine, however they have stored it in heated and cooled places.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Billybob, I assume you may not have proofread your post or you are a very brave person !!! What sort of pricing would you place on the last item?

This should help.

financial-planning-long-term-the-car-is-cheaper.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I haven't bought factory ammo in forever. All my reloads are in ammo cans, marked with size, bullet weight, powder, and charge weight.
    I've shot ammo from WWII with no issues.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I had a couple of cases of 1918 dated 30-06 that ALL went bang. But I also remember a case of FCPO , 40's dated, 8mm ammo where every round was a dud. When pulled apart for components, the powder was actually wet. An idiot friend if mine (not me, REALLY) tried to dry the powder in his oven, with DISASTEROUS results. My point is that PROPERLY stored ammo will most likely outlive us all, so why bother dating it?

medcoxo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Indy, Westside
    I usually keep the receipt with the box. I can get ammo more than my shooting buddies, and that way if I sell, then I can sell make sure and sell at a fair price and justify that price.

dooshie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Indy
    I know when I was in the military back in early 80's I was shooting .45 cal dated 1942. I also recently shot some .22hp dated back in the 20's

Dentoro

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Fairland
    No, throw it in a sealed ammo box with some desiccant place in a dry spot that don't get too hot or cold. Take inventory at end of every year.

Top Bottom