• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Can a .223 suppressor work on a .22? I ask because I'd like to be able to switch it from my AR to my M&P 15-22. One suppressor for both would double the fun to cost ratio.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Galveston
    Centerfire, especially take apart, silencers are way heavy compared to rimfire cans. The M4-2000 is 17.1 ounces, not including the $100 mount that weighs quite a bit. The Huntertown Guardian 22 is only 4.0 ounces.

Not trying to tell you to get 2 cans, but just something to consider.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Yes, but unless its a take apart one your not going to want to. 22 is a dirty round and in a sealed can...

.... and the take-apart cans are 1/2 lb heavier than the lighter sealed cans.

I would get the .22 can first. It's the least expensive and you will be the most impressed with the performance. They're stupid quiet with subsonic ammunition in a rifle.

Get the 5.56 can down the road.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Can a .223 suppressor work on a .22? I ask because I'd like to be able to switch it from my AR to my M&P 15-22. One suppressor for both would double the fun to cost ratio.

Full disclosure: I am a suppressor manufacturer.

Actually, it wouldn't.

Take for example a YHM 556 Phantom and a Guardian 22. The Phantom is ~ $500 plus tax. Call it $700 out the door. The Guardian is ~ $200 plus tax, $400 out the door. That's $1100 for two suppressors.

The Phantom weights 20 ounces. The Guardian weighs 4 ounces. You can use a guardian on a 22 pistol or rifle. You can't use a Phantom on a pistol unless you're Arnold strong, and on a 22 rifle it will throw the center of gravity off. It will most likely interfere with your sights or optics. You don't even know the Guardian is there.

You'll hate yourself for shooting 22 through a non-servicable can. It will fill up with lead in very short order. How do you clean it? You don't. You lose volume that you need for your 5.56.

You can also create a potentially catastrophic condition. You have soft lead buildup in a 5.56 suppressor. Heat the can up, and the lead melts. As you continue shooting the molten lead swirls around inside the can, throwing gases off and interfering with the travel of the projectile. It is possible to cause an otherwise stable round to keyhole, causing a baffle or endcap strike. You just destroyed your $700 suppressor. Even if they give you a deal, it's going to cost $300 to repair your suppresor, if the tube wasn't compromised. And if you do the same thing again, it will happen again.

So you diodn't save anything. .22 and 5.56 suppressors are different types of screwdrivers. You should get the right tool for the right task, IMHO.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Full disclosure: I am a suppressor manufacturer.

Actually, it wouldn't.

Take for example a YHM 556 Phantom and a Guardian 22. The Phantom is ~ $500 plus tax. Call it $700 out the door. The Guardian is ~ $200 plus tax, $400 out the door. That's $1100 for two suppressors.

The Phantom weights 20 ounces. The Guardian weighs 4 ounces. You can use a guardian on a 22 pistol or rifle. You can't use a Phantom on a pistol unless you're Arnold strong, and on a 22 rifle it will throw the center of gravity off. It will most likely interfere with your sights or optics. You don't even know the Guardian is there.

You'll hate yourself for shooting 22 through a non-servicable can. It will fill up with lead in very short order. How do you clean it? You don't. You lose volume that you need for your 5.56.

You can also create a potentially catastrophic condition. You have soft lead buildup in a 5.56 suppressor. Heat the can up, and the lead melts. As you continue shooting the molten lead swirls around inside the can, throwing gases off and interfering with the travel of the projectile. It is possible to cause an otherwise stable round to keyhole, causing a baffle or endcap strike. You just destroyed your $700 suppressor. Even if they give you a deal, it's going to cost $300 to repair your suppresor, if the tube wasn't compromised. And if you do the same thing again, it will happen again.

So you diodn't save anything. .22 and 5.56 suppressors are different types of screwdrivers. You should get the right tool for the right task, IMHO.

Thanks for the info. I'm thinking if I get into the suppressor game of going with something for the .22 first. I'm thinking of one for my M&P 15-22. Is it threaded under the flash-hider, or would it be better to go with one that has a new flash hider that is designed for the can to fit over it?

I've also got a GSG 1911 that would be fun with a suppressor, too.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Ask Corey about the Thompson Zephyrs. Tons of fun on a user serviceable can with a monostack baffle setup. I think you probably could (but I haven't because that'd probably push wifey over the edge,) clean it in the darn dishwasher.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Thanks for the info. I'm thinking if I get into the suppressor game of going with something for the .22 first. I'm thinking of one for my M&P 15-22. Is it threaded under the flash-hider, or would it be better to go with one that has a new flash hider that is designed for the can to fit over it?

The M&P 15-22 is threaded 1/2x28 under the flash hider. This would be what you would need for a .22lr suppressor. I don't believe there are any .22 cans that fit over a suppressor. They mostly all thread on. There's a few 3-lug attachment cans out there, but don't bother with those.

I would recommend the Huntertown Guardian (for the value) or the Silencerco Sparrow (for the ease of maintenance) . You'd be very happy with either.

RobbLG

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2010

Yes it can... You could switch from your AR to your M&P 15-22... It could...

Not with a Dual Purpose Rifle Can... As everybody said, it is heavy...

Ask Corey about the Thompson Zephyrs. Tons of fun on a user serviceable can with a monostack baffle setup.

Actually, Ask Corey about the TM Sixteen if you are interested in the dual purpose can... And would probably still be Tons of fun on a user serviceable can with a monostack baffle setup. ;)

With all that being said... I would agree with everyone that you would probably be happier with a dedicated 22 can and agree with their suggestions...

Top Bottom