• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • .356luger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    martinsville
    So I shot a coon off my roof the other night it's a long story. So I skinned it out, cleaned it, and it currently is in salt water and apple cider vinegar. I'll be attempting to tan the hide using one of the methods I decide on and eating the animal. Now my question is has anyone eaten a coon before? I've done some interweb research and have the basics down. It seams boiling then roasting is the way to go with some BBQ sauce. Anyone else have a good recipe or insight on cooking

update:
    I soaked mine for 3 days apple vinegar and salt water. Then cleaned off as much fat as I could then boiled it for 1.5 hours with 3 beef bullion cubes. Cleaned any more fat I could then rinsed it off slathered it in sweet baby rays and Rudy's rub put a half a bottle of Sam Adams in a roasting pan (the rest went to the cook) and a cup of water. Roasted at 400 for an hour it was pretty tasty in all reality

Last edited:

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    Last time i had it i was little. It was coon sausage for breakfast. All i remember honestly is it was extremely greasy. I guess just make sure you clean it well and cook it all the way. You should be able to make just about whatever. You could make some coon gravy. We do it with squirrel and it's pretty good.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    We knew a family when I was growing up that ate it. The mom was Native American and they cooked it on a spit over an open fire because it was fatty and that was the best way to let the grease cook out of it. I never tried it. They make a good target, but I don't eat them.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Not to high jack your thread but I had a little raccoon excitement here a few weeks ago. I went to let Charlie out (My dog) . I opened the door to find a raccoon at the door! Charlie instantly sees it as a big ass chew toy. He bolts. They are spinning around nose to nose hissing and biting at each other. I did not have my pistol in my pocket. And that really unusual for me. So I have to go back in side to get it. I come back out. They are still going at it but... Charlie has it by the neck. I got a stick and tried to get the two to part company but it's not going to happen. They won't stop going at it. I finally manage a clear shot at the thing. I nailed it. Now there is no more battle but me trying to get Charlie off this thing! Geeze what a mess. I get him away from it finally. I toss it over the fence so the dog will leave it be. I looked it over. It was healthy looking. Everybody is ok but the raccon!

Oh and I cleaned Charlie up. Not a mark on him. I can't say that for the raccoon. Game over.... To be honest I did not think about eatting it! lol.

beehunter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    So I shot a coon off my roof the other night it's a long story. So I skinned it out, cleaned it, and it currently is in salt water and apple cider vinegar. I'll be attempting to tan the hide using one of the methods I decide on and eating the animal. Now my question is has anyone eaten a coon before? I've done some interweb research and have the basics down. It seams boiling then roasting is the way to go with some BBQ sauce. Anyone else have a good recipe or insight on cooking?
    I had it at a deer camp in VA about 4 years ago and it honestly wasn't bad. If I remember right they baked it all day with potatoes, onions, carrots and seasoning
    . It was real good eating.

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Baste it with peanut butter and microwave it for 90 minutes or till tender ! Enjoy.

Sorry I just couldn't resist.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    My grandmother said she used to catch them very young when she was a kid and stuff them with apples and spit roast them over a hickory fire. Young as in probably not weened yet. This was in the 1930's when anything was edible if you were hungry enough.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Used to eat it when working the family farm when a very young man. My aunt could cook it up to be edible. No one else could. She did ground hog as well. The stew was not so bad.
    On that farm you ate what you shot. If you screwed up the meat with a chest or rib shot my aunt would wear you out. If you busted up the head with a good head shot so aunty would like you again my grand dad was pi$$ed because you ruined the brains. True story.

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    I have never tried it but wondered myself. There is a cookbook here called "Cooking Alabama's Wild Game" from the extension service there with several recipe's.

Roast Raccoon
    Soak the raccoon whole overnight in salt water (1 tbls salt to 1 quart water). Remove the coon and place it in a large pot of fresh water. Parboil for 20 minutes. Drain the water from the coon and fill the cavity with 2 sweet potatoes peeled and cubed OR 3 apples cord and quartered. Cover and bake at 300 deg. F. about 2-3 hours until tender. Uncover and continue baking until brown.

And if you wish to get more elaborate:;;;;;;

Baked Raccoon

1 racooon, ready to cook
    Vinegar'
    water
    salt and pepper to taste
    2 cloves chopped garlic
    1 bay leaf
    1 cup chopped celery
    1 cup chopped green onion
    1 cup chopped green pepper
    vegetable oil
    flour

Soak raccoon for about an hour in mild vinegar and water solution. Drain and cut into serning size pieces. Rub raccoon with salt and pepper; put into large boiler and cover with water. Add garlic, bay leaf, celery, onion, and pepper. Boil until raccoon is partially tender. Remove from heat; drain and reserve vegetables (discard bay leaf). Brown raccoon pieces in a small amount of oil; place in a roasting pan. Add a little flour to the pan drippings; mix in enough water to make a thin gravy. Add reserved vegetables; pour over raccoon pieces. Bake at 350 F for about 45 minutes. Serves 2-3.

Be interesting to hear how a coon turns out.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have never tried it but wondered myself. There is a cookbook here called "Cooking Alabama's Wild Game" from the extension service there with several recipe's.

Roast Raccoon
    Soak the raccoon whole overnight in salt water (1 tbls salt to 1 quart water). Remove the coon and place it in a large pot of fresh water. Parboil for 20 minutes. Drain the water from the coon and fill the cavity with 2 sweet potatoes peeled and cubed OR 3 apples cord and quartered. Cover and bake at 300 deg. F. about 2-3 hours until tender. Uncover and continue baking until brown.

And if you wish to get more elaborate:;;;;;;

Baked Raccoon

1 racooon, ready to cook
    Vinegar'
    water
    salt and pepper to taste
    2 cloves chopped garlic
    1 bay leaf
    1 cup chopped celery
    1 cup chopped green onion
    1 cup chopped green pepper
    vegetable oil
    flour

Soak raccoon for about an hour in mild vinegar and water solution. Drain and cut into serning size pieces. Rub raccoon with salt and pepper; put into large boiler and cover with water. Add garlic, bay leaf, celery, onion, and pepper. Boil until raccoon is partially tender. Remove from heat; drain and reserve vegetables (discard bay leaf). Brown raccoon pieces in a small amount of oil; place in a roasting pan. Add a little flour to the pan drippings; mix in enough water to make a thin gravy. Add reserved vegetables; pour over raccoon pieces. Bake at 350 F for about 45 minutes. Serves 2-3.

Be interesting to hear how a coon turns out.

If memory serves my aunt used the last recipe to make the coon into a stew like meal with potatoes.
    Straight up coon was closer to the 1st one.

It was OK when she cooked it. Any one else's sucked.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My ol lady's grandfather was a bit of a chef and they used to have a bunch of younger raccoons brought to the legion and he'd cook up some barbecue with them.
    This years ago, and he told me it was one of the highlights. I can't remember what all he did to prep them, or how he cooked them, but he said they were fine eating if done right (big smile when he said that, maybe a secret or two involved- I dunno).
    Long since dead, I'm not going to try replicating his culinary feat even for home testing.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Uncle Sam says, "If it is warm blooded, and fur bearing, it is fit to eat."

If it was me, I'd soak it a couple of days in salt water or the cider vinegar mix....then I'd bone it. Boil the meat for an hour or so, until tender. Roll that in some Andy's Cajun breading and fry it in peanut oil like a fish filet. Serve it with mashed tates and some kind of gravy and maybe a pile of green beans and corn.

Top Bottom