Raging Police State in NYC -- Big guns & bag searches on ALL public transportation

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Im4the2nd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Citizens of NY all unarmed (the law abiding ones) up against the peoples Army. The police present is suppost to give us a sense of security. Not sure what the answer is maybe armed citizens
    . The military looking police are not the military and would probably loose a shootout to terrorist. Such a fine line to draw in this war on terrorist

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Police searching vehicles at the Brooklyn Bridge

Cool. Bridges are now places to be searched. Must be the new normal I heard about. Land of the free, my eye.

Hearing rumors of a plot, cities make their security forces seen
    Bomb-sniffing dogs were deployed in the Washington subway, and the police searched vehicles at the Brooklyn Bridge on Friday as counterterrorism officials with frustratingly imprecise clues hunted for at least two men reportedly dispatched by Al Qaeda to set off a car or truck bomb in New York or Washington.
    Terror-articleLarge.jpg

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    I really don't consider it a police state as much as it is telling the terrorist that we won't go quietly. NY has probably spent millions in overtime alone for the police presence in protecting the public for the anniversary of 9-11. Yeah, there are a lot of police presence but they are there to protect the public. People are being searched and no stone left unturned. Anyone of those people coming in can be carrying a bomb that could kill hundreds if not millions. Now we have threats that two of the possible suspects linked to the latest threats are U.S. citizens.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    I'd be calling the police every chance i got saying there are men with semi/full auto rifles walking down the block .... maybe not this weekend, but back in May when this was posted, and after 9/11. I understand the need for security at the moment. Especially with this so called "Credable, undetermined, threat" they keep talking about

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I can sort of understand the hysteria in NYC, it IS the number one target in the world probably. The Japs would have hit it if they could have, Hitler would have, any of these ****ty terrorist groups. It's a trophy target. Then again, by disarming your citizens, you take away the first line of defense. Stupid is as stupid does. No, armed citizens would not have made much difference on 9/11, but if you think there are enemy agents in your midst, it's just plain dumb to face the threat unarmed, or criminalize EVERYBODY in the city in the name of safety. Just a convenient excuse to grab more power over people.:twocents:

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    New York City is a Police State extravaganza.

I really don't consider it a police state as much as it is telling the terrorist that we won't go quietly. NY has probably spent millions in overtime alone for the police presence in protecting the public for the anniversary of 9-11. Yeah, there are a lot of police presence but they are there to protect the public. People are being searched and no stone left unturned. Anyone of those people coming in can be carrying a bomb that could kill hundreds if not millions. Now we have threats that two of the possible suspects linked to the latest threats are U.S. citizens.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."

- C.S. Lewis

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Yeah, on the planes, coulda changed history. Somebody walking around armed in NYC, wouldn't have made a difference.

Armed citizens can make a difference where ever criminals venture. Government doesn't want real security though. Just Fascist control.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Armed citizens can make a difference where ever criminals venture. Government doesn't want real security though. Just Fascist control.
    Stop it!:D you're arguing a point that I fully agree with you on! I merely stated that carrying a firearm ON the ground IN NYC that day would not have made any difference in regards to planes being flown into buildings. Yes!!! It is moronic, and unconstitutional to restrict law abiding citizens from carrying a weapon! Sheesh!!!:laugh:

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    First: NYC actually is a grand place. [The rest of the attempt to correct people's impression of NYC deleted]

Yes, NYC is a nice place to live, especially if you have money. You can get higher quality everything: goods, services, hobbies, etc. They also have stores that regularly stock expensive guns (NYS anyway). (The sucky part is that you can't even touch a handgun in the store unless you have a NYS permit.) Living in Indiana, I miss such fineries enormously. It's kind of a pain to get the stuff I want. The main plus is that it's easy for me to get to the range, and it's cheap to shoot here.

But, NYFelon, don't you think a part of the negative feelings about NYC on this forum comes from a dislike for the sort of people they imagine living there?

Anyway, let me reiterate: it ain't like Escape from New York.

Da Bing

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    Yes, NYC is a nice place to live, especially if you have money. You can get higher quality everything: goods, services, hobbies, etc. They also have stores that regularly stock expensive guns (NYS anyway). (The sucky part is that you can't even touch a handgun in the store unless you have a NYS permit.) Living in Indiana, I miss such fineries enormously. It's kind of a pain to get the stuff I want. The main plus is that it's easy for me to get to the range, and it's cheap to shoot here.

But, NYFelon, don't you think a part of the negative feelings about NYC on this forum comes from a dislike for the sort of people they imagine living there?

Da Bing

I think that may be part of it, certainly. However I also believe that NY, and especially NYC, are more infamous for what people believe it is, rather than what is it is. Take a look at a county by county electoral map of NYS and you'll find plenty of red. It just so happens that NYC is the predominant body of electoral citizens who decide the state's federal representation. Other than the island of Richmond County, yes, NYC is overtly blue. I don't fall prey to the idea that persons of the political persuasion modernly labeled as "liberal" (A fact I have a separate argument about), are inherently evil though. Just as most on this forum will find the idea that conservatives are "selfish, wealthy, southern white males who all hate blacks" ridiculous. Both ideas are, at the risk of sounding judgemental, entirely stupid.

A quick comparison. I live on Eastern Long Island in a suburban area which in just a few miles gives way to rural landscapes reminiscent of Lancaster, PA. With the exception of 3 households on my street, as neighbors, none of us speak to one another. Everyone's too caught up in presenting the image that they're all "better than" (read: possess more material wealth) everyone else. Conversely, when I lived in Queens, there was always a real sense of "neighborhood". Everyone knew everyone, and there was much less focus on "face". Of course, I lived in a moderately poor neighborhood where no one really had much anyway, but that doesn't change the cultural differences.

My family took a fishing trip to Canarsie Pier this last spring, and my wife, who has lived her whole life here in Suburban hell, was utterly astonished at how friendly people were. Total strangers starting random conversations? That's unthinkable. In Suffolk County self-absorbed hipsters would fly by an old woman collapsed on the side of the road on the way to get to the tanning bed. The notion that NY'ers are all some attitude laden, untouchable sub-culture like in the joke about the tourist looking for the subway, pervades. It even pervades in people who live in the state but don't have much experience with the city itself, or the people who live there.

Well, sorry, I got off on a tangent.

Anyway, yeah. NYC sucks, and everyone who lives or has lived there is the devil.

newtothis

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011

Da Bing

Bing, are you stating that you are in NYS and that you miss Indiana (because of the guns and ability to find a range + cheap ammo) or are you stating that you are in Indiana and miss NYS? :dunno:

newtothis

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    I'd be calling the police every chance i got saying there are men with semi/full auto rifles walking down the block .... maybe not this weekend, but back in May when this was posted, and after 9/11. I understand the need for security at the moment. Especially with this so called "Credable, undetermined, threat" they keep talking about

They found atleast 1 confirmed car bomb last week (I havent checked since then) and they suspected more would be headed towards the location of the site of the former towers.

Its not all just propaganda.

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    They found atleast 1 confirmed car bomb last week (I havent checked since then) and they suspected more would be headed towards the location of the site of the former towers.

I don't recall a single word about that. Do you have a link? I'd like to see what I missed.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I heard on the radio, regarding the NYC 9/11 ceremony today, that there were "several ID checkpoints" to get down to ground zero. They said that this is the "new normal."

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County

I'm sure you have some links to these car bomb stories? I searched the news at Google and didn't come up with anything since the Times Sq. lame assed attempt a couple of years ago.

Top Bottom