Range: .22LR to begin elimination of Semi-Autos.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Red dot vs open sights - most shooters , especially us 50+ shooters , do much better with the red dot. I was shooting outside in the wind yesterday with my Model 41 , a original series 4" 22/45 and a SMith 686 6" 357 - the 357 really shot well for me.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Red dot vs open sights - most shooters , especially us 50+ shooters , do much better with the red dot. I was shooting outside in the wind yesterday with my Model 41 , a original series 4" 22/45 and a SMith 686 6" 357 - the 357 really shot well for me.

I prefer a scope since it gives a crisp picture, while the red dot covers up so much.
    I don't know much about red dots, but I'm sure some cover a smaller area of where you're shooting.
    I did buy a used pistol scope awhile back, and I'd like to try it out on one of the guns.
    My SW 41 came with a rail and scope, but you have to take off the rear sight, and I just got it repaired and working correctly, so I hate to go that route on it.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I prefer a scope since it gives a crisp picture, while the red dot covers up so much.
    I don't know much about red dots, but I'm sure some cover a smaller area of where you're shooting.
    I did buy a used pistol scope awhile back, and I'd like to try it out on one of the guns.
    My SW 41 came with a rail and scope, but you have to take off the rear sight, and I just got it repaired and working correctly, so I hate to go that route on it.

You can get red dots with various size of MOA dots. Smaller dot covers less but slower. Larger dot covers more, less precise, but quicker... Pick your poison.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    I don't know much about red dots, but I'm sure some cover a smaller area of where you're shooting

On the 357 I mentioned I use a scope on it but it is a Burris 1X bullseye scope with target dot. The 1X scope gives me the clearest image of anything I have tried for handguns. The relatively large dot is easy to pick up on target. And easier to shoot freehanded compared to scopes with magnification.

Yeah like WebSnyper stated there are large and small red dots - on the 41 I have a 4MOA Ultradot , some 3 MOA Vortex Venoms and Burris Fastfire IIIs and a 6 MOA Venom on a Glock 9mm.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    You can get red dots with various size of MOA dots. Smaller dot covers less but slower. Larger dot covers more, less precise, but quicker... Pick your poison.

Thanks for the heads-up!
    What specs do I look for to delineate between a smaller dot and a larger one?
    I have a Bushnell that I bought months ago but not put on any gun yet.
    I have one that came on the SW Victory, but don't have a manual with it to look up any specs, but at 20' - 40' it is "big."
    It was used for steel shooting by the previous owner, if memory serves.

I saw this online:
    A 4 MOA dot is best for close ranges, while a 2 MOA dot is best for longer ranges. Smaller dots—1 to 2.5 MOA—are used for precise shots at longer distances.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Thanks for the heads-up!
    What specs do I look for to delineate between a smaller dot and a larger one?
    I have a Bushnell that I bought months ago but not put on any gun yet.
    I have one that came on the SW Victory, but don't have a manual with it to look up any specs, but at 20' - 40' it is "big."
    It was used for steel shooting by the previous owner, if memory serves.

I saw this online:
    A 4 MOA dot is best for close ranges, while a 2 MOA dot is best for longer ranges. Smaller dots—1 to 2.5 MOA—are used for precise shots at longer distances.

Us geezers with Astigmatism will see multiple dots (like a bunch of grapes). Turning down the intensity can reduce "blooming" but doesn't always reduce the number of dots. Prescription glasses can help or hurt depending on your Rx & how it interacts with the optic. You'll definitely want to look through one at arms length (simulates sitting atop a pistol) before buying one.

It's too bad the EOTech people turned out to be lying turds. That little 1 MOA dot was super small yet really bright without blooming. Vortex makes one now that I really need to try out. These are not intended for pistols but I'd sure like to see someone make a pistol version.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I like UltraDots. With the Match Dot, you can choose dot sizes. I have one mounted on a S&W 629 and slide mounted on a 1911. Here is a description: Matchdot II

Those look nice. I thought they were scopes at first but are also RDS.

From their FAQ website:

This usually indicates an astigmatism problem. Even with 20/20 vision, you may still have an astigmatism. Glasses will also cause problems with the dots clarity and shape. Try different powered glasses to determine if this is what is causing imaging problems. Incorrect brightness settings will also cause the dot to flare. Always start with the lowest brightnest setting first and then turn up until you reach the desired level of brightness and a clear shape. If it starts to distort, turn the knob back down.
    Please bear in mind, multiple dots, poor dot clarity or irregular shaped dots are rarely caused by the sight itself. The majority of issues of this nature are caused by: Poor user vision, glasses, readers, bifocals, trifocals or incorrect brightness settings. The dot is formed by an LED shining through an aperture onto a mirror, the mirror passes everything but the red light. There are no wearing parts that would change the dot.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Went with a member to the Fall Creek Conservation Club to shoot Friday.
    Put my new Bushnell red dot on a gun finally: Browning Buckmark Hunter: it has 13 settings of sizes, so I liked that.
    Put a used Nikon scope that I bought in Westfield on my Ruger Mark 3 w/Volquartsen barrel and trigger work that I bought off a member here.
    Was only shooting 21', though, but I was able to get it dialed in some on them.
    Shot shot the SW Victory that came with a red dot that I bought off a member here a few months ago.
    The SW was shooting better than all my .22LRs, but now that I've got a scope or red dot on the others, it'll be a fair fight.
    I don't have anything on the SW41, b/c I need another scope or red dot for it and didn't want to take off the rear sight that I just fixed.
    Much fun getting optics on 2 of the guns, like having new guns!

No range pics due to outdoor range limitations b/c there was alot of people there, but some pics of the guns w/optics.

Browning Buckmark Target w/new Bushnell red dot.
    rSSuNKt.jpg

LRmGXVr.jpg

Ruger Mark 3 w/Volquartsen barrel and trigger work with the used Nikon scope.
    FmKi4RJ.jpg

Wk5yqqB.jpg

Og4hOFv.jpg

SW Victory with the red dot that came with it.
    okXYoqg.jpg

u95jGMR.jpg

mnirq9Z.jpg
    WDJbKAY.jpg
    GB908G6.jpg

pGRf7pa.jpg
    a4z5BIS.jpg

Last edited:

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    I'll have to check out that TRS-25 sometime - if I recall correctly a lot of those on the rimfirecentral forum liked it. I am eventually going to have to have a red dot or scope on all my target handguns!

Today for 22lr I'll shoot the 41 with Ultradot , a 5.25" MKII with Vortex Venom and a Ruger Single Six with Ultradot.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    When looking for a red dot, I always look for reasonable price, durability, light weight, click sight adjustments which are repeatable and good factory support.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    40 feet all shot on a rest. Shooting 3 different pistols with optics.
    Trying to determine which one to eliminate for now, then perhaps another later.
    The S/W Victory on the top 2 targets. It's Red Dot has only 2 settings of size. (came in 2nd?)
    The Browning Buckmark Target on the bottom 2 targets. The Bushnell Red Dot has 13 different settings of size. (came in 3rd?)
    The Ruger Mark 3 with Volquartsen barrel and trigger work in the middle. Using a scope. (came in 1st?)
    Each target used with the "X" and the number "8" at the 12, 3, 6 & 9 o'clock positions, plus the # above each target (#2 missed).
    IHpqyfD.jpg

Last edited:

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Do you ever like a gun so much that you would keep it despite how well it hits the target?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    The Bushnell Red Dot has 13 different settings of size. (came in 3rd?)

Probably 13 brightness levels although brighter settings make can make the dot appear larger. From a rest I can usually shoot better groups with a handgun with a scope vs red dot especially at longer distances. A couple of nice center clusters up there on target 2 and 3.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Do you ever like a gun so much that you would keep it despite how well it hits the target? I do. Several. :)
    Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

That's the point I'm at with these pistols I have left in .22LR.
    I like each for different reasons.
    Even though the Browning Buckmark Target is slightly behind the other two in accuracy, I still want to keep it "too make sure" it's not just me.
    That's my excuse for today.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    On another note, I have another .22LR revolver I picked up for fun, a Ruger LCR .22LR D/A only.
    I sold off all my other .22LR revolvers and kept the best: a Dan Wesson 8" bought from a member here.
    Just for fun I bought this Ruger LCR .22LR; I was really looking for a 3" with a hammer, just for fun, but ran into this and picked it up since neither becomes available often.

I shot it at 12' & 20' & 30' & 40' & 50' 2-handed.
    I enjoy practicing finger control with it.
    tGZz7v9.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Probably 13 brightness levels although brighter settings make can make the dot appear larger. From a rest I can usually shoot better groups with a handgun with a scope vs red dot especially at longer distances. A couple of nice center clusters up there on target 2 and 3.

That's what I found out & why I like the option of clicking on level 1 or 3 out of 13 to get a smaller red dot, even though not as bright to get a crisper picture of the target.
    I prefer my scope as well.
    Yes, quite frustrating when using the gun rest, and not being consistent with shot placement b/c of laziness, getting tired & just getting in a hurry.
    I realize I would never have the patience for true accuracy shooting at long distances with an expensive rifle when such small minute nuances can make such a big difference downrange.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    What’s your initial impressions of the LCR 22? I’m thinking about picking one up to throw in my pocket.

I really enjoy it, being a DA only & seeing how I can do with it. :draw:
    It makes me slow down and concentrate on my trigger pull.
    I love revolvers, & the 1.9 inch barrel length is a good challenge.
    I really would like the 3 inch barrel with a hammer, but they simply cost more than I'll pay, and they virtually never come up for sale used, and it they do, they are a premium price.
    That's why I grabbed this one up at $330.
    I'm going to put some red fluorescent paint on the front site, but it probably won't make any difference, :dunno:.
    New, either of these cost $464, where I deal.

There was none of the Ruger LCR .22LR 3" barrel w/hammer on Armslist in the US for sale, and only 3 on Gunbroker: hard to come across.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    With all the talk about the S&W 41 if you have been wanting one Highsmiths in Greenfield has an excellent 5 inch for sale for 1099.00 I think it has the box too.

Top Bottom