Range: .22LR to begin elimination of Semi-Autos.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    With all the talk about the S&W 41 if you have been wanting one Highsmiths in Greenfield has an excellent 5 inch for sale for 1099.00 I think it has the box too.[/QUOTE

Thanks for the heads-up. :thumbsup:
    I bought one from a member here Oct. 2018.
    I got the normal internals replaced and finally found a rear sight screw and have it working perfectly.
    I have about $1100 in it.
    I might keep it, but I'm trying to figure out if my Ruger Mark 3 with Volquartsen barrel and trigger work is more accurate.
    I love the heavier feel of the SW 41, though, so I'm not in a hurry.
    Someone pointed out to keep those which provided joy regardless of absolute accuracy, and I'm starting to get that.
    The "feel" when you pick it up is that immeasurable aspect that cannot be ignored in the long run.
    With my eyesight, they all shoot nearly the same anyway. :dunno:

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Went with a member to the Fall Creek Conservation Club to shoot Friday.
    Put my new Bushnell red dot on a gun finally: Browning Buckmark Target: it has 13 settings of sizes, so I liked that.
    Put a used Nikon scope that I bought in Westfield on my Ruger Mark 3 w/Volquartsen barrel and trigger work that I bought off a member here.
    Was only shooting 21', though, but I was able to get it dialed in some on them.
    Shot shot the SW Victory that came with a red dot that I bought off a member here a few months ago.
    The SW was shooting better than all my .22LRs, but now that I've got a scope or red dot on the others, it'll be a fair fight.
    I don't have anything on the SW41, b/c I need another scope or red dot for it and didn't want to take off the rear sight that I just fixed.
    Much fun getting optics on 2 of the guns, like having new guns!

No range pics due to outdoor range limitations b/c there was alot of people there, but some pics of the guns w/optics.

Browning Buckmark Target w/new Bushnell red dot.
    rSSuNKt.jpg

LRmGXVr.jpg

Ruger Mark 3 w/Volquarten barrel and trigger work with the used Nikon scope.
    FmKi4RJ.jpg

Wk5yqqB.jpg

Og4hOFv.jpg

SW Victory with the red dot that came with it.
    okXYoqg.jpg

u95jGMR.jpg

mnirq9Z.jpg
    WDJbKAY.jpg
    GB908G6.jpg

pGRf7pa.jpg
    a4z5BIS.jpg

Just curious does the scope throw off the balance?

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Just curious does the scope throw off the balance?

I like a gun heavy in my hand, so the more weight the better.
    Since I don't shoot any one gun a long time and I'm always switching guns at the range, I haven't noticed if one is off-balanced.
    I know I like the Ruger Mark 3 with the Volquartsen barrel better with the scope on it to ad a little bit of weight since it is too light to suit me.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Range time before trimming 2 of these 3 semi-autos.

50' with the S/W Victory on the left side top & bottom.
    50' with the Browning Buckmark Hunter on the right.
    50' with the Ruger Mark 3 Volquartsen barrel in the middle.
    All rounds on a rest.
    CcKRTGG.jpg

Same target as above but instead of doing more 50' on a rest, I added doing 30' 2-handed.
    #1 target: shooting the number "1" with the S/W Victory. (not a tight group)
    #2 target: shooting the number "2" with the Browning Buckmark Hunter. (all shot low, but the windage is great)
    #3 target: shooting the number "3" with the Ruger Mark 3 with Volquartsen barrel. (decent group, but all rounds a little low)
    fijmF4b.jpg

All 3 semi-autos on a rest at 30' & 40' & 50'.
    The Ruger Mark 3 with Volquartsen barrel above the "X."
    The Browning Buckmark Hunter below the "X."
    The S/W Victory to the right of the "X."
    LqY8dXx.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I see some nice groups here.

Shooting on a rest and using red dots or a scope makes up for my eyesight. :laugh:
    I like a scope better, but the red got with 13 different-sized red dots works better than the one with only 2 sizes of red dots.

I have trouble with my Ruger 10/22 b/c bending my neck to see through the scope really gets to my arthritis after just a few minutes (having to bend my head forward and down), but the member that I bought the Ruger Mannlicher from has helped me get a higher rail and then special rings (on a "special rail") that brings the scope back toward my head more.
    Hopefully, I'll be able to get to the range today to try it out and see if that helps.
    Pics will be posted in the rimfire thread if it works, or even if it doesn't.
    Might have to get more advice on what to use, or give up on using a rifle much.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Range time again for the Smith 41 & the Ruger Mark 3 with Volquartsen barrel.
    Nikon scope on Ruger M3 w/Volquartsen barrel.
    Bushnell Red Dot on Smith 41.

Only 30" Mark 3 w/Volquartsen barrel above shoulders & on the bottom row.
    S/W on torso & next to last row.
    8VBwfrg.jpg

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Had a little fun with a small gun I picked up recently.
    I used to have a drawer full of the tip-up barrel guns that Beretta & Taurus had in all three calibers: .22LR; .25 acp & .32 acp.
    I sold them all but got a Beretta Tomcatt Inox .32 acp months ago b/c I always wanted the Inox & never had one, plus it was new old stock.
    I picked up this Beretta .22LR (8 round) that was another LNIB that had only been functioned check and put away.
    Ignore the middle of the target, that was a 9mm I was not doing so well with my shot placement in fast-fire mode. :dunno:
    The bottom 2 targets are the Beretta Bobcatt .2LR with half the shots getting in the "inner blue."
    I had to use my gun fluorescent paint on the itty-bitty front sight (red) & the very small rear groove (white).
    I enjoy the challenge of seeing how well I can do with such a small gun. It gets really fun at 30' & 40 should be a riot. Hope I can hit the torso target at 50'.
    More fun in the future.
    epFtVtl.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Was mainly verifying that the Beretta Neos was the weakest of the group so as to sell it to help pay for the Glock 44 I picked up yesterday.
    Ruger Mark 3 (with iron sights, not my other Mark 3 with Volquartsen barrel) that I picked up off a member here 3 weeks ago, but I've been too busy to do much with it except a function check the day I bought it.
    3l3sVUl.jpg

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    What did you think of 44. Went to get one and once I had it in hand I couldn’t buy it. Ruger looks like it shoots how it’s supposed to.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    What did you think of 44. Went to get one and once I had it in hand I couldn’t buy it. Ruger looks like it shoots how it’s supposed to.

Hey zachcz! Your Mark 3 shoots ever bit as it is supposed to do, and will be a fine plinker for me.

Nothing impressive about holding the Glock 44 in the hand, for me at least.
    It is very light, compared to what I'm used to (all metal usually).

The Glock I've only shot for about 180 rounds in the past 2 days so the verdict is out for it being a long term keeper, but interesting enough for now.
    I love the magazines. The best/easiest loading of any magazine I've ever had for any gun: just simply good designing.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Yes, but do you shoot it more accurately? I trained myself to shoot revolvers double-action years ago. It took some time, but was rewarding.

Depends on the gun.
    I remember an HR I had fairly recently that must have had a 30# trigger pull, yet, it was accurate: I couldn't believe it!
    A Dan Wesson I have with a sweet trigger (5# I suspect, but I've not tested it b/c it doesn't matter: it's wonderful ), and I could shoot it DA as accurate as SA.
    I just don't remember on all of them, but I don't think that was the case on the Ruger GP100 or Taurus Tracker 990.

Top Bottom