• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • igotdiesel2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Southport area of In
    I am a huge fan of Steven Hunters books. I am reading Point of Impact right now on my tablet. This is the first book I will have read cover to cover so to speak on an electronic device. I also read my American Rifleman magazine every month as well as my IDPA magazine that comes out every quarter.

I am also reading the CDL manual cover to cover.

A little off the topic yet still on it, The Bible. I was sitting in church this morning and I was following along with the verses the Pastor was reading and I started thinking: "How many times have I read this book?" -Jason

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    "AWOL on the Appalachian Trail" is a good thru hiker book, and "Stuck" by Creek Stewart was a pretty good short story. Kindle paperwhite here...we have several floating around the house.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Mars Hill
    If syfi military fiction is enjoyable reading for you, I highly recommend Jonathan Maberry's Joe Ledger series.

Non fiction wise I recently read Wolf Boys, American teenage hit men for the Zeta cartel. This book was fascinating and horrifying.

The Zeta's put on a 6 week basic training, ran by their soldiers and mercs from Israel and the US. When they teach the young men CQB the shoot houses have live men as the targets. They call the men being slaughtered in the training "Contra's". When they teach how to kill with a machete, the recruits kill a Contra with a machete. Killing with your bare hands, yep those young men choke the life out a Contra.

The most skilled and coldest killers are chosen as asassins. In the book it was 10 out 60 in the class. The rest are made drivers, lookouts and various other less skilled vocations.

I read a few cartel books and have never been shown the day to day business and logistics like in Wolf boys.https://www.amazon.com/Wolf-Boys-American-Teenagers-Dangerous/dp/1501126547

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I am a huge fan of Steven Hunters books. I am reading Point of Impact right now on my tablet. This is the first book I will have read cover to cover so to speak on an electronic device. I also read my American Rifleman magazine every month as well as my IDPA magazine that comes out every quarter.

I am also reading the CDL manual cover to cover.

A little off the topic yet still on it, The Bible. I was sitting in church this morning and I was following along with the verses the Pastor was reading and I started thinking: "How many times have I read this book?" -Jason

The Bible remains my favorite book.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I just finished Tom Clancy's Debt of Honor. Book was written when I graduated high school (1994) but man, I swear Mr Clancy is the modern Nostradamus. great book and very accurate to current politics. About half through with Locked On (technically not TC, but his characters) and also very good and is also spot on for modern politics.

darend505

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    Have been reading "Devil in the White City"

Pretty good book about the development of the Chicago World's Fair and the actions of one H.H. Holmses aka. Herman Webster Mudgett

EPeter213

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2016
    Floyd/Harrison
    Tad Williams. Otherland, Dragonbone Chair, Tailchaser's Song. All excellent.

A little bit older stuff... Don Pendleton's Mack Bolan books , Executioner, Phoenix Force, Stony Man

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    The following books are not recently read, but so good that everyone owes it to himself to tackle at least some of them:
    Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury
    The Hobbit (read this before proceeding to "The Lord of the Rings") - J.R.R. Tolkien
    The Lord of the Rings (all three books) - J.R.R. Tolkien
    Animal Farm - George Orwell
    Brave New World - Alduous Huxley
    1984 - George Orwell
    Les Miserables - Victor Hugo
    A Tale of Two Cities - Charles Dickens
    Salem's Lot - Stephen King
    Moby Dick - Herman Melville
    Christine - Stephen King
    Of Mice and Men - John Steinbeck
    One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - Ken Kesey
    2001: A Space Odyssey - Arthur C. Clarke
    The Cold Equations (science fiction short story) - Tom Godwin

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I usually recommend the following:

Science Fiction- I, Robot and The Foundation Trilogy by Isaac Asimov, In Death Ground, Mutineer's Moon and the Safehold series by David Weber.

Fantasy- The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind, Legend and The Trojan war series by David Gemmell, The Sword of Shanarra and the Elfstones of Shanarra by Terry Brooks

Suspense- Watchers, Life Expectancy, and Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz, The Law of 9's by Terry Goodkind

Alternate History- The Killer Angels by Michael Sharra, any of the subsequent books by Jeff Sharra

Outdoor Related- The Old Man and the Boy, The Lost Classics, and Horn of the Hunter by Robert Ruark, Where Lions Roar and Deadly Encounters by Craig Boddington, Death in the Long Grass by Peter Capstick, The Maneaters of Kumoan by James Corbett, Lion Hound and Old Red by Jim Kjelgaard.

Westerns- Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry

Tad Williams. Otherland, Dragonbone Chair, Tailchaser's Song. All excellent.

A little bit older stuff... Don Pendleton's Mack Bolan books , Executioner, Phoenix Force, Stony Man

Your mention of Tad Williams' Dragon Bone Chair series brought back memories for me. I read it in high school and I have never read (before or since)a series that started so slowly, became so good once it finally got going, maintained itself as page turner through such a long series, and ended so poorly imo, lol!

thej27

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    Excellent book...The first world war and most do not realize that...
    I got a chance to stop by Fort Necessity a couple years ago while driving through Pennsylvania. A lot of people don't realize the importance of what happened at that place and Jumonville Glen and how it shaped the future of our country.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Brazen Chariots by Robert Crisp--I read this as a kid, and it is still an amazing book--autobiography of a British tank commander in WWII.

And if you read 2001 by Clarke, you really ought to read 2010 as well.

The Kinsman Saga by Ben Bova

If you're ready for some alternate reality/fantasy, the Dresden books by Jim Butcher--warning, these are EXTREMELY addictive.

Kind of along the same lines, the Iron Druid series by Kevin Hearne is incredibly well-written, and just as addictive as Butcher's books.

Top Bottom