Realistic cost of a 'budget' build-your-own AR?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    Last year during holiday sales, I was able to help my buddy build his first AR (definitely budget build - no FS, dust cover) for $525 minus a rear optic.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    When I was looking into building a rifle, I was thinking top-shelf parts, and I couldn't build anywhere near as cheap as buy. Daniel Defense gets a much better deal on Geissele, Magpul, VLTOR, etc than I could ever get on my own. Heck, just adding up the DD parts made sense to buy.

But this was for a higher-end, if-I-die-with-only-one-rifle kind of build.

A friend built his 300blk pistol for all of $550. PATIENCE IS THE KEY. YOU HAVE TO BUY WHEN THINGS ARE ON SALE AND LOOK FOR DEALS.

Me, I can't be that patient. When I want something, I want it. And if I have the money for it, I buy.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    When I was looking into building a rifle, I was thinking top-shelf parts, and I couldn't build anywhere near as cheap as buy. Daniel Defense gets a much better deal on Geissele, Magpul, VLTOR, etc than I could ever get on my own. Heck, just adding up the DD parts made sense to buy.

But this was for a higher-end, if-I-die-with-only-one-rifle kind of build.

A friend built his 300blk pistol for all of $550. PATIENCE IS THE KEY. YOU HAVE TO BUY WHEN THINGS ARE ON SALE AND LOOK FOR DEALS.

Me, I can't be that patient. When I want something, I want it. And if I have the money for it, I buy.

Yes they do get a better deal. However if you don't put a dollar value to your labor you will save that. And as you say if you are patient and wait for the killer deals you can do well. I have been saving parts for about a year now, maybe longer to be able to put 3 rifles together. I am not normally THAT patient but I'm renovating my home and don't have time or money for hobbies. :)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yes they do get a better deal. However if you don't put a dollar value to your labor you will save that. And as you say if you are patient and wait for the killer deals you can do well. I have been saving parts for about a year now, maybe longer to be able to put 3 rifles together. I am not normally THAT patient but I'm renovating my home and don't have time or money for hobbies. :)

This goes beyond patience......more like being a monk or something.
    I started gathering bits and pieces with 3 rifles in mind and exhibited the patience of a 3 year old in an Ice Cream shop......:lmfao:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    This goes beyond patience......more like being a monk or something.
    I started gathering bits and pieces with 3 rifles in mind and exhibited the patience of a 3 year old in an Ice Cream shop......:lmfao:

Lol. I have been called Amish before due to my lack of embracing 21st century tech but Monk is a new one!:)

Though I am a minimalist so it kinda fits. And I like beer.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    Latest build was 418.34 all new parts, just did a lot internet shopping since i retired 3 weeks ago. the deals are out there just gotta look. this price also included the lower also.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The most recent build has been mainly from parts/pieces removed from other rifles from upgrades.
    I put all the spares in the respective boxes and when I see they are filling up the parts get laid out to see what I have. This one only needed stripped upper/lower and a pin/spring kit to complete. I had everything else on hand. It is really hard to put a cost on these.

It is actually a pretty fair piece.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    The most recent build has been mainly from parts/pieces removed from other rifles from upgrades.
    I put all the spares in the respective boxes and when I see they are filling up the parts get laid out to see what I have. This one only needed stripped upper/lower and a pin/spring kit to complete. I had everything else on hand. It is really hard to put a cost on these.

I'd count that as a really low price build!:)

If I have left over parts from a build that stack up in my storage bins, when I use them I count them as no cost. At times I have purchased a LPK with a FCG but used a different trigger so I have a spare trigger now. If I use it in a later build then I don't put a price to it. I buy a LPK sans FCG and I'm good to go!

warriorbob

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96%
    24   1   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    I built one for 500 once. Anderson lower, ptac upper, white river armory lpk, utg buffer tube, m4 stock I bought used off here for cheap, and spring and gi buffer from Bradis. Ended up needing anti rotation pins so that brought my price up to 525. Oh and a charging Han f2f let and bcg I bought for cheap off ebay. That bcg ended up being really nice and was marked mpi marked and cost $75

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Anderson Lower,16" Mil-Spec Upper and assorted other parts I had laying around for years. Was gonna sell them off and probably will sell some of them but for now, I wanted a 16" AR. All told I spent $300. I will do upgrades and sell off extras later if possible. Still don't know how the election will come out so I wanted to get this done beforehand.

Seriously, I have never purchased a complete AR. I have assembled the three,now four, I have (will have). IF you were to do this and be able to wait for sales you can get a nice, Mil-Spec rifle for less than $500 these days, was even cheaper when I put the other three together. Essentially though, if all you want is an AR and know what sort you want, buy the whole thing assembled unless you already have parts laying around like many folks do here. Rgar is the only reason I bought another lower and went for an assembly, I had most of the parts already.

IF you want to make it yours and customize parts and such, assembly is good. My opinion only, why bother with the assembly when you can pretty much get a complete rifle for the price of the parts? If all you want is a generic MilSpec rifle, buy it whole. :twocents:

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County

This is what I meant, and what I just did! :woot: (didn't need the springs, did need the pins though)

Still thinking about some sort of sight or scope but that can wait for now.

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    I have $480 in a budget truck gun.

PSA PTAC 16" upper, Anderson lower, lower parts kit scrounged from spare parts, one of a half-dozen spare BGC's that I have acquired over the last few years in trades, and a complete spare collapsible stock that I had in the parts bin.

I may update it with some Magpul furniture that I have, and I may mount a light to it but it will remain iron sights only.

Last edited:

warriorbob

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96%
    24   1   0
    Feb 6, 2011

If I have left over parts from a build that stack up in my storage bins, when I use them I count them as no cost. At times I have purchased a LPK with a FCG but used a different trigger so I have a spare trigger now. If I use it in a later build then I don't put a price to it. I buy a LPK sans FCG and I'm good to go!
    You know what it means when you have left over parts, right? Time for another build!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

I always change something on every rifle I buy and eventually they get the full monti so spares come fairly fast.
    This build only took the summer for all but the upper/lower. The lower is an Anderson and the upper is a Stoner. Not high end stuff but the gun fits up very nicely.
    I had an ALG Defense 15" hand guard from another project and some Magpul parts as well. This would make a nice 1st AR for someone.

Top Bottom