Realistic cost of a 'budget' build-your-own AR?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I'll have just a little less than $500 in mine. $40 for an Anderson lower and $420 for a PSA Freedom stainless MOE rifle kit. All I need to add is a rear sight.

The lower is bare in this picture so I just quickly slapped the buffer tube/stock, grip and lower on just for a picture.

Sign up for the emails for the PSA deals. That's how I got my upper kit cheap and shipped free.

Just built mine today with the help of 1911ly. I like it. Just have to get a rear sight and shoot it.

Last edited:

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    DeltaTeamTactical has some really great prices, but they can be slow to ship. My AR pistol is mostly built on their parts.
    That's where I ordered my pistol kit from. $435 for everything including the 80% lower. There was going to be a delay on the handguard I ordered so they upgraded it to a better one they had in stock, no added cost to me. Shipped out today. Lifetime warranty.

Work

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    My 300 is a sub $500 build (by a few bucks, mind you, but sub $500) using a Radical complete upper, stripped lower, Anderson lower parts kit (the cheap one that I worked on to make not so crappy), standard buffer system and milspec stock.

The Radical upper comes WITH BCG and charging handle for $309, which is an amazing deal
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_jLjkBG394

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Built this retro for about 700 and that is only because the plastic bits are getting pricey.

a1done.JPG

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I am so ADHD sometimes! I just talked about building up a few more rifles and I have the necessary parts. Now I am thinking of selling/trading one for a Ruger LCR. Was talking to my brother and I think he has sold me on getting one for CC.

Or I could sell my Shield and buy one, though I kinda like my Shield. :)

Oh, the situations we get ourselves into!

Osprey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I'm still taking baby steps with building ARs. Instead, I've been buying copmlete uppers from a company I like and lowers from another company I like and put them together. I have been replacing stock, muzzles, charging handles, BCG, and now triggers but replacing them with the drop-ins and not the LPK types. I have this fear of it blowing up in my face since I tend to lose interest if I can't get them put together right the first time. So far, I have been very happy with my "builds".

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I've watched enough build videos to convince myself that building an AR is much, much, easier than I first thought. It does require some special tools (not many) and some patience. But I'd not hesitate to build one myself from stripped lower and uppers.

Work

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    I've watched enough build videos to convince myself that building an AR is much, much, easier than I first thought. It does require some special tools (not many) and some patience. But I'd not hesitate to build one myself from stripped lower and uppers.

The only special tools you really need is to make sure you have a good set of roll pin punches. Everything else is just finesse. I’ve done 4 now, each getting better as I take my time and learn the order to build in and little tricks. Things like using a book to support the ears on the trigger guard (they’re thin and can break when starting the roll pin), or don’t bother using a tool to depress the detent on the front takedown pin, just use the pin itself.

If you like working with your hands, and want to save some money, I really suggest building one. Plus, you get the added satisfaction of using a rifle you built. My frankengun works better than most store bought rifles, and I can take at least a little credit for that myself.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    If you like working with your hands, and want to save some money, I really suggest building one. Plus, you get the added satisfaction of using a rifle you built. My frankengun works better than most store bought rifles, and I can take at least a little credit for that myself.

This is where I am at. I actually think I make them a little better than the factory rifles. I take extra time to inspect each part with my magnifiers and I stone off any flash or roughness on a part should I encounter it. I am careful putting the parts in and don't force anything. I polish several surfaces too. These are the same surfaces that will get polished with use, but by me doing it during assembly I start out with a smoother running rifle.

And besides, even though we call them "frankenguns", keep in mind that many factory made rifles are assembly operations where the manufacturer purchases the components from other manufacturers. Usually they don't make everything themselves.

And besides again, a true frankengun would be a gun built with used parts from several other guns. And those guns would have been "dead". You know, like Frankenstein.:):

Fizzerpilot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2016
    Avon
    Building is awesome. Tools are few. A vise (which most folks have), a vise block, armorers wrench, a couple roll pin punches... That's about it! It's nice to have a ft/lb torque wrench, and an in/lb.

I won't say that my builds are cheaper than an off the shelf rifle... But I'm also using higher cost parts. Adjustable gas blocks, fancy upper receivers, hand guards, BCGs, charging handles, muzzle devices, triggers... All of which are not supplied on affordable off the shelf rifles.

TheARfan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2016
    Avon
    I built my first one for right around the $500-$550 range. I bought a PSA rifle kit that was on sale for $400 (regular $500), a PSA polymer rear BUIS for $20, and a Bushmaster stripped lower for around $100(?). It was a very basic setup, but it sure worked!

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    My "Franken" AR ended up costing me about $500 and that was using a premium PSA upper that i caught on sale a number of years back. Ive had it longer than any other AR I currently own and have thrashed on it since day one during carbine courses and Run-N-Gun. Its nothing special but I love it, so yea Id say now with prices falling the way they are yous should have no trouble at all putting together a very nice carbine for ~$600 bucks OP.

Reverend Dreed

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2016
    new hope
    I needed to raise some cash last week for an unexpected car repair.
    sold a s&w mp 15 sport 2 that had only had 10 rounds through it for 500 bucks.
    good deals can be found if you look around. Mine was posted on the sister site south of the crick.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Palmetto State Armory has complete lowers on sale for $129 with free shipping today. I also picked up a complete AR Stoner upper with BCG and charging handle for $279 from Midway. Even with transfer costs the whole thing will be under $450.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Good vise on a sturdy bench, Tapco wrench......fixture to hold the receiver (upper) in the vise (white delrin, two push/pull pins).
    Roll of masking tape (doubles as bench block- plus you tape up the side of the receiver when tapping in the bolt stop pin).
    If taking off FSB...........the specific bench block for that is pretty nice.

I've done a half dozen full assemblies and probably two dozen lowers.

Only tuffies are the little roll pins......I put a slight taper to the end with a fine belt sander. Oil the hole and tap em in with a brass punch.

Might want a 4-40 tap and some screws to mod the rear detent spring deal.

Top Bottom