Recently retired IMPD Officer victim of robbery, shoots suspect, possible lesson

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Can you explain further what you mean by "true indiana"?

SURE!!!

Imagine the state of Indiana on a map. South of US 30, you have North Kentucky. North of US 30 but west of St. Joe county, you have a fiefdom of The People's Republic of Northern Illinois. East of La Porte county to Ohio, but always north of US 30, you have the actual Indiana.

Brown Sound

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2013
    Terre Haute
    Now, if the cop had been a white-hispanic, the media would have seen him as looking for trouble. Cracking off shots at a fleeing suspect? Suspect is trying to run away? Suspect had not physically threatened him prior to leaving? Shooter only felt threatened when he stepped in front of a moving vehicle?

I hear that the CBP pulls crap like that too, in order to justify arresting/shooting/detaining someone.

Sorry, but something like that would be tied up in the courts for YEARS with one of us non-cops. Depending on where you live, and the tendencies of the prosecutor's office, your life could be a living hell for a long time.

I guess he should have just been a good witness for the police.

For those of us up in true Indiana (North of US 30, and east of Starke/Lake/Porter counties), I could see Elkhart not prosecuting, K-county probably wouldn't. St. Joseph would be iffy as well as Allen.

JMHO, BIDSIAHILN

Can you explain further what you mean by "true indiana"?

Yes, what is this "true Indiana" you speak of, sir? You are sounding a lot like a fancy water swilling, northern Indiana twerp. JK and watch that rock throwing, eh? :D

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Yes, what is this "true Indiana" you speak of, sir? You are sounding a lot like a fancy water swilling, northern Indiana twerp. JK and watch that rock throwing, eh? :D

Pretty typical response of someone from TH....
    images

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    We should begin to petition for a change in the law that allows anyone to use deadly force to not only stop a felony in progress, but to stop a criminal from fleeing the scene of a felony. It would certainly make the officers jobs a bit easier, and quite possibly give criminals something to think about when every day citizens are given a free pass to start offing the dirtbags no matter what point of the crime they are able to put holes in them. Quit giving criminals an out, and they wont be able to take one.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    We should begin to petition for a change in the law that allows anyone to use deadly force to not only stop a felony in progress, but to stop a criminal from fleeing the scene of a felony. It would certainly make the officers jobs a bit easier, and quite possibly give criminals something to think about when every day citizens are given a free pass to start offing the dirtbags no matter what point of the crime they are able to put holes in them. Quit giving criminals an out, and they wont be able to take one.

Agreed. Crime is like any other entrepreneurial endeavor in that those participating weigh the rewards (i.e., making a living without working or answering to a boss) against the risks (i.e., getting imprisoned or shot) and make a decision based on where their personal balance point falls relative to the likelihood of risks or rewards coming to pass. As the level of risk increases, the number of people willing to try will decrease. The more criminals who get liquidated while engaging in crime, the fewer remaining criminals there will be. We win both ways!

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    Who gets to define....CRIMINAL? I'd say it's EITHER the one committing the crime............or the one in the TIN FOIL HAT trying to defend the criminal! Your choice!:popcorn:

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Who gets to define....CRIMINAL? I'd say it's EITHER the one committing the crime............or the one in the TIN FOIL HAT trying to defend the criminal! Your choice!:popcorn:

Exactly. Im not condoning a wholesale manhunt for every criminal in the country, but if you see someone committing a crime, and you cannot safely put lead into their cranial cavity until they are finished committing the crime, and no longer a threat, I see no reason that a law abiding citizen (or officer) cannot wait until it is safer, and more convenient for them to engage. They do not give us the courtesy of waiting for the most convenient time to commit the crime, why should we have to react within a narrow window without fear of legal persecution?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Exactly. Im not condoning a wholesale manhunt for every criminal in the country, but if you see someone committing a crime, and you cannot safely put lead into their cranial cavity until they are finished committing the crime, and no longer a threat, I see no reason that a law abiding citizen (or officer) cannot wait until it is safer, and more convenient for them to engage. They do not give us the courtesy of waiting for the most convenient time to commit the crime, why should we have to react within a narrow window without fear of legal persecution?

:+1:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I got to find out a bit more about this case. I'd have ruled it a good shoot. The media account makes it sound a bit more questionable than it is when all the facts are laid out, including statements by both the shooter and shootee.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    We should begin to petition for a change in the law that allows anyone to use deadly force to not only stop a felony in progress, but to stop a criminal from fleeing the scene of a felony.

So you want to be judge, jury, and executioner? I'd rather not empower you as such. Nothing personal.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    SURE!!!

Imagine the state of Indiana on a map. South of US 30, you have North Kentucky. North of US 30 but west of St. Joe county, you have a fiefdom of The People's Republic of Northern Illinois. East of La Porte county to Ohio, but always north of US 30, you have the actual Indiana.

Lets see... North of 30, check. East of La Porte Co, check. Cool. I was afraid I might have to go to the BMV and get a new license or sumfin.:yesway:

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    So you want to be judge, jury, and executioner? I'd rather not empower you as such. Nothing personal.
    Too bad it's not up to you. Petition your reps not to support it. I'll petition mine to support it. It's time to be able to use deadly force in defense of property. The criminals are out of hand. Is my toaster worth your life?

Top Bottom