• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • user11230706

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2024
    Northern Indiana
    I recently posted asking how to find good deals on a Smith and Wesson M&P9 2.0 (link). This will be my first gun, and after some discussion, I'm starting to think that maybe I should consider a used gun for my first gun. It'll be cheaper and I could always sell it and get new if it ever bothers me (or I could keep it and just buy more...).

I'm wondering where I could find used guns and not worry about them being in horrible condition. I've seen other posts where people have said that getting something from INGO people is a good option, but I am still too new to have access to the classified section (though I'd consider becoming a site supporter if I saw a good deal on the one I am looking for).

For those who want more specifics, this is the exact model I'm looking to get: https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/m-p-9-m2.0-optics-ready-full-size-series
    This is the full-sized pistol with a 4.25-inch barrel, a flat-faced trigger (there's an older version of the 2.0 that has a hinged trigger), and no thumb safety.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    used guns are pretty much a matter of who ever has what you are looking for. It is not like buying a new pickup at a selected Ford Dealer.

Especially when looking for an exact variant, you may be looking for a while, at a lot of places for a long time. That can be part of the fun. I collected S X S shotguns for quite a while, there was always that one more so I would have all the variants.

Good luck

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2024
    Evansville
    I recently posted asking how to find good deals on a Smith and Wesson M&P9 2.0 (link). This will be my first gun, and after some discussion, I'm starting to think that maybe I should consider a used gun for my first gun. It'll be cheaper and I could always sell it and get new if it ever bothers me (or I could keep it and just buy more...).

I'm wondering where I could find used guns and not worry about them being in horrible condition. I've seen other posts where people have said that getting something from INGO people is a good option, but I am still too new to have access to the classified section (though I'd consider becoming a site supporter if I saw a good deal on the one I am looking for).

For those who want more specifics, this is the exact model I'm looking to get: https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/m-p-9-m2.0-optics-ready-full-size-series
    This is the full-sized pistol with a 4.25-inch barrel, a flat-faced trigger (there's an older version of the 2.0 that has a hinged trigger), and no thumb safety.
    Obviously it’s your money and you can do what you wish but in my opinion, since it’s your first gun, I’d buy brand new if you can swing it. At the very least, I’d buy used from an actual gun store. I think those options lessen your chances of having a bad first experience wading into gun ownership.

trader

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2023
    indiana
    I just never felt good about buying guns from someone who was going to send a record to uncle sam. seems like giving a list of your guns to someone who has for 50 yrs tried to take away ppl's guns is risky business. i always prefer, when possible, to hand over the 100s with no paperwork.

cmdrken1

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 28, 2023
    Saint John
    You'll basically need to buy a new one if you are looking for the exact optics ready, no thumb safety, and newer factory flat trigger.

That said I have 3 M&P 2.0s and owned more of them over the years. Apex makes an aftermarket flat trigger you can add easily to any older model. The hinged factory trigger that has been proven for years is very comfortable, accurate, and reliable. I've always shot very well with them and can't stand the Glock design trigger compared to the M&P.

There are plenty of ranges with gun rental cases and my recommendation would be to try before you buy especially for a first gun.

As far as finding used M&Ps you could try any local gun store, on here, and especially local gun shows. I just bought one used off a table at the last recurring gun show at the Lake county fairgrounds in Crown Point. They are reliable guns and unless the previous owner used it for competitions etc the odds are you'll get one with at most several hundred rounds through it which is nothing. The one I recently picked up was the longer slide in FDE.

Good luck with whatever you decide to get and be sure to take some time to learn about safe gun ownership and use.

Jont22

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 24, 2019
    Morgan County
    Cabelas/Bass Pro Gun Library. I’ve found good deals there. Free shipping, no transfer fee to a Cabelas or Bass Pro, and if you don’t like it when it comes in they will give you a refund.

Racinbob

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2024
    Knox, IN
    Gunsindiana.com is a pretty good site to buy/sell although the number of viewers is quite small. I was successful on selling two of the three I'm currently wanting to part with. If you're selling be careful, as always, of scammers. One of the favorites is for the potential buyer to ask if they can send me a random series of numbers so I can prove I'm real. I don't have a clue what they are doing but when it happens I simply tell them that if they are interested in the gun we can meet face to face, share Indiana ID's and then they will know I'm real.
    This site is likely an even better place due to the activity but I just stumbled on to it and I doubt that I'll hit the 50 minimum posts since I'm not big into forums. :)

D_rebs

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2023
    Lafayette

INGO. Right here on the forums is a great place. Plus you’ll meet some new friends in the process!

Nugget

Milsurp Enjoyer
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 30, 2022
    Morgan County
    I have a small shop here in southern Indiana. Floyds knobs,in I’ve been for 10
    Years most of my clients are from the law enforcement community and word of mouth. I’ve been on here for at least 10 years. I’m a FFl , manufacture and class 2 dealer. We sell firearms , NFA items and custom builds. We do have a collection of pre used firearms and suppressors on hand. I’m going to frank we only sell premium firearms and if you’re looking for cheap firearms we refer you to the big box farm stores. We build and sell guns for duty use. We are current law enforcement and combat vet with actually combat use so we value quality in our weapons. We are a small shop. We love to serve our clients.
    redacted.

Ummm, what? I'm not sure the translation service you used to turn Ethiopian into English worked very well. I'm also pretty sure you're supposed to pay to be a Site Supporter if you want to advertise.

1711028939685.png

Last edited by a moderator:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I've bought a lot of guns over the years (decades). Most of the used guns I've bought were just fine, but a few had problems. Having learned a little about detail stripping and replacing gun parts, over the years, I have been able to fix most of the problem children. The second gun I ever bought was at a gun show and it wasn't safe and couldn't be repaired to make it so. I took a bath. Speaking from experience, as a novice, you should consider buying new for the first one. If there is a a problem the manufacture will take care of it for you.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Biggest thing with buying used is know what you are looking for and what the new prices, etc are and be ready to act when you see it as a used item for a good/great price. Also be able to assess at least basic function of the specific firearm and again know what you are looking at.

Used guns at good prices go quickly, not much time to contemplate to knowing that stuff in advance will allow you to act or pass, before someone else acts.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Cabelas online gun library

If you see something you like, you call that store.. and buy it over the phone, they will then ship it for free to a local store for the transfer (which admittedly, Cabelas has made a screaming pain in the butt anymore)
    You can pay for them to ship it to your local FFL if you would like.

Top Bottom