• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Looks great! You are going to get a lot of use out of that bench.

Thanks man, I appreciate all of your advice!

Today, I caulked and sealed the edges where the edge trim piece attaches to the benchtop, and decided I wanted to mount my press. I know I will just have to remove it again when I take it all apart for the move down to the basement, but I used the Lee Bench Plate press mounting kit that makes it pretty easy to remove and replace the press.

Here it is the bracket mounted on the bench:

And finally, with the Lee Classic Turret Press installed:

I can already tell that I am going to have to adjust the handle placement, but until I get things setup, it is a futile exercise, so I am going to wait.

I also plan on mounting a small vice on the opposite end of the bench for working on my guns, so hopefully I will have enough room in the middle to be able to get some work done without it being too crowded.

Tomorrow, I am going to put a couple of more coats of polyurethane on the legs and the frame, and I am going to have to call it "finished" until I can get it down in the basement for the final assembly.

Thanks to everyone for all of the advice and patience. I am happy with how things turned out. Solid as a rock and big enough to not feel too cramped.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    I've been expecting you to start reloading in the garage.

Now that you have the press mounted, it's time to set up the dies.:yesway:

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I've been expecting you to start reloading in the garage.

Now that you have the press mounted, it's time to set up the dies.:yesway:

Haha! I won't say it hasn't crossed my mind!

My wife has been helping clean out the older son's bedroom these last 2 days so we can move the younger brother into his old room. I am crossing my fingers to be in there within 2 weeks. So let's say I *want* to be in there before Halloween. Now that it is in writing, let's see how close I get. The oldest boy won't actually be coming back to get all his stuff until Thanksgiving, but I told my wife today that I am not waiting that long... we can pile his stuff up in the main part of the basement for a few weeks. We'll see if I eat my words...

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Well, I am eating my words from above...

Our son was home for Thanksgiving and we were not able to get his stuff completely moved out until this past weekend, and then get our other son moved into the newly vacated bedroom. So now I finally have my reloading space ready to move in!!!

A small update: While I was waiting to move the bench down to the basement, I added a few 2x4 cross pieces to give the top some more stability. I am not sure that it really needed it since it is so solid already, but I was bored, and needed to do something!!! I added one board just to the left and right of where the press mounts, and then a couple of others evenly spaced across the top:

Here is the reloading room empty. My wife calls it the "Harry Potter Room" because it is so small (10x9)"

And then here it is with the bench inside after the disassembly in the garage and then reassembly in the basement (a ton of work BTW):

Now comes the fun part of getting all my reploading supplies and gear unpacked and into the room and organized. This could take another year at this rate!!!

Hopefully soon, I will have made some ammo and all of this waiting will be a distant memory (nightmare)...

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    It looks absolutely fantastic! I think you'll be very happy with how it works as a reloading bench. The 10'x9' space will be sufficient, with the right kind of organization. Can't wait to see you turning out ammo. :)

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I really enjoyed following you work on your project. This turned out great! You are a much better carpenter than you give yourself credit for and you have some decent tools. Enjoy your reloading room! Mine is down in an unfinished basement and I used a bench that was pre-made and only had to be assembled, because of my lack of carpentry skills and tools. Here's what I have:

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    It looks absolutely fantastic! I think you'll be very happy with how it works as a reloading bench. The 10'x9' space will be sufficient, with the right kind of organization. Can't wait to see you turning out ammo. :)

Thanks! A lot of the early advice I got on getting into reloading came from you, so hats off to you for all of your patient advice.

It is amazing as I go through the unloading process how much [STRIKE]junk[/STRIKE] stuff I actually have. The area has filled up significantly, and I still have not brought down any of my gun smithing/cleaning stuff! Obviously, once things are organized, it will fit much better.

I will continue setting up, getting electricity to everything, organizing, etc. this week, and hope to start churning out some ammo by next week (I took the week off to play...). I noticed as I was unpacking that I am down to about 1,500 rounds of 9mm factory ammo, which will go quickly, so I need to get hopping!

I really enjoyed following you work on your project. This turned out great! You are a much better carpenter than you give yourself credit for and you have some decent tools. Enjoy your reloading room! Mine is down in an unfinished basement and I used a bench that was pre-made and only had to be assembled, because of my lack of carpentry skills and tools. Here's what I have:

Mike: Thanks for your comments. I am a horrible carpenter, but thanks anyway!!! :laugh: It seems as if I can always get "close", but the last 10% is the hardest, and without regular practice, I will always be a "90% guy".

I think your bench looks great! But... what is that weird looking blue thing in the middle??? :): LOL!

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Thanks! A lot of the early advice I got on getting into reloading came from you, so hats off to you for all of your patient advice.

It is amazing as I go through the unloading process how much [STRIKE]junk[/STRIKE] stuff I actually have. The area has filled up significantly, and I still have not brought down any of my gun smithing/cleaning stuff! Obviously, once things are organized, it will fit much better.

I will continue setting up, getting electricity to everything, organizing, etc. this week, and hope to start churning out some ammo by next week (I took the week off to play...). I noticed as I was unpacking that I am down to about 1,500 rounds of 9mm factory ammo, which will go quickly, so I need to get hopping!

Mike: Thanks for your comments. I am a horrible carpenter, but thanks anyway!!! :laugh: It seems as if I can always get "close", but the last 10% is the hardest, and without regular practice, I will always be a "90% guy".

I think your bench looks great! But... what is that weird looking blue thing in the middle??? :): LOL!
    I drank the blue Kool Aid many years ago when it was obvious I couldn't afford a Star. My photo is old. I've long ago removed the vise and bench drill press. They now reside on another store bought bench along with my Lyman 1200 DPS 3. The RCBS single stage is now bolted to the loading bench with his buddies. One thing I have learned is I can never have enough light on my reloading bench. Besides a shop light overhead, I have some clamp-on work lights placed in various places.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Extra braces are never a bad ideal. Especially for a reloading bench. I am eager to see you get started. Probably not as eager as you are though!! :):

That's a hell of a nice kick ass looking bench! I'd love to have that much room for my dies and supplies.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Extra braces are never a bad ideal. Especially for a reloading bench. I am eager to see you get started. Probably not as eager as you are though!! :):

That's a hell of a nice kick ass looking bench! I'd love to have that much room for my dies and supplies.

Thanks, but the space fills up quickly!!! As you can see, it is already quite a mess!!! I have to still run some electrical, and I am also building a powder magazine that I will place to the right of the bench. I also need to add some pictures/posters etc. to make it feel less sterile and more like home.

My wife is already giving me a hard time about how she will never see me again! And yes, I am very anxious to get started.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Thanks, but the space fills up quickly!!! As you can see, it is already quite a mess!!! I have to still run some electrical, and I am also building a powder magazine that I will place to the right of the bench. I also need to add some pictures/posters etc. to make it feel less sterile and more like home.

My wife is already giving me a hard time about how she will never see me again! And yes, I am very anxious to get started.

Seeing your setup reminded me of something I was going to earlier mention. I see your primer dispensers on the middle shelf near the top. I have bought extras for Large Rifle, Small... Large Pistol, Small.... Large rifle Magnum etc... It is handy if you plan on doing rifle and pistol. You don't have to empty the dispenser to swap primers. I write on the dispenser what is in it.

You have the newer style. I think you can just buy the tray to be able to swap.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Seeing your setup reminded me of something I was going to earlier mention. I see your primer dispensers on the middle shelf near the top. I have bought extras for Large Rifle, Small... Large Pistol, Small.... Large rifle Magnum etc... It is handy if you plan on doing rifle and pistol. You don't have to empty the dispenser to swap primers. I write on the dispenser what is in it.

You have the newer style. I think you can just buy the tray to be able to swap.

Thanks, that is a great suggestion. I have heard that the older style primer trays seem to be preferred by those who have tried both. I will see what I can find...

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I prefer the older round tray. It up rights the primers better and holds more primers. But the new trays come off the feeder with the flip of a switch.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    New Powder Magazine and Bench Extension

I decided to build a powder magazine to (legally) hold my gunpowder. The requirements call for a box with 1" nominal wood. I made the box so that the sides and door could easily pop off in case of an internal ignition event to prevent pressure build up and the making of a "bomb".

While I was at it I decided to expand my benchtop by about 2 extra feet, and then place my scales on the extension so that they are isolated from any flexing or jarring action when using the press.

I left an area underneath to store my large range bag and some targets.

It is sort of ugly at the moment, but I will find some cool tin logo to put on the door to give it some personality!

These photos are just with my cell phone, I will get down there one of these next few days and take some "real" pictures with a "real" camera.

Here it is opened. I have ordered a motion-detector LED light strip to put inside. I have a couple of them already under my main bench, and they work great for when I need to poke around under the bench.

Here it is with the bench:

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    DAMN dude! You have the reloading bench from heaven! What an awesome setup. Nice just doesn't sum it up! I am envious to say the least.

Top Bottom