• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I'd like to pick one up. I've been reloading for about 3 years, but I've never owned a manual. I've always used the website for whatever powder I happen to have or used my BIL's manual when my press was setup in his basement.

Is any one better than the others?

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Lyman's 49th edition is also a good one.
    Remember one thing though. Manuals will eventually go out of date. Keep up on current info.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I usually watch for when a new edition comes out, and watch for close outs on the old one. If a powder is not listed, I use the Hodgdon.com site for data. I always recommend at least one book for a beginner. Books from Hornady, Lyman and Lee have a lot of good instruction on the loading process as well as powder charge weights and dimensions. The latest data is generally found on the internet, but I usually don't start using a new powder just because it is new. My newest manual is a 4 uear old Hornady, and I still have an old Black and white photo Speer from about 35 years ago that is mostly for kicks. Most powders on the market today were not even there, and it does not have quite a few of todays common cartridges.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    You've been reloading 9mm for 3 years? How many different cartridges could you potentially reload for, based on the guns you have?

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I probably own well over 15 to 20 different manuals, I could not pick one over another.
    If there is certain bullets or powder you tend to use I would suggest buying that manufactures book.
    Now if I only loaded a single caliber or two calibers I would look at the books that cover just the caliber you load. Midway stocks them. Maybe 8 or 9 bucks apiece. They cover alot of different bullets and powders.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    You've been reloading 9mm for 3 years? How many different cartridges could you potentially reload for, based on the guns you have?

Yes, I've been reloading 9mm for 3 years. All my pistols are currently 9mm and I plan to buy or build a 9mm SBR in the not-so-distant future. I am also interested in adding 300blk and possibly *gasp* .45

The 650 will be set up for 9mm bulk production, but I will keep the Lee for lower volume stuff of various other calibers.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I like the single manuals too. The regular loading books are loaded with stuff I will never need.

Other than the singles I use manufacture websites and other sources free on-line.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    If I had to pick one to start with I would go with the Lee Modern Reloading Manual 2nd Edition. I was told to get the Lyman 49th edition first. I would put it second, then the Hornady 9th edition.

I always cross check my loads in different books. I would trust printed data over data posted on the interweb.

As 17 Squirrel stated earlier, you can never have too many. I will pick up a used one whenever you see them. I have bought several used books at gun shows.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    As others have stated, I'm not a huge fan of Lee Reloading equipment, I own some of Richards equipment but not alot. I will say years ago I ended up with his #1 loading & instruction manual. Its a very good book to own. As good as the first one is the second one has to be better.
    Maybe I'll send old Richard a email and see if when the third manual is printed he will print it with a blue cover so it will blend better sitting on the shelf.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    As others have stated, I'm not a huge fan of Lee Reloading equipment, I own some of Richards equipment but not alot. I will say years ago I ended up with his #1 loading & instruction manual. Its a very good book to own. As good as the first one is the second one has to be better.
    Maybe I'll send old Richard a email and see if when the third manual is printed he will print it with a blue cover so it will blend better sitting on the shelf.

You you will not be disappointed with the second edition. It has a lot of plated bullet info in it. You could always wrap the cover in blue painters tape since it is very close to the Dillon Blue :cool:

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    I normally point guys to the Lyman, but I've had several people tell me they didn't like the 9mm section.
    So....I'd recommend Speer or Hornady.
    I don't recommend the Lee manual.

dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    I prefer the Hornady book over the Lyman. I have both but the Lyman lacks a lot of load data that the Hornady has. As preface I only load for rifles and have never loaded pistol rounds.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GlockFrenzy
    Top Bottom