• ...and so much more!
  • Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    As of today, 18 Nov 2009, there are two new counties in which one may apply for a LTCH online: Adams and Jay counties are the newest additions to the list.

Citizens living in the following 27 counties may now apply online for their LTCH prior to visiting the CLEO to get printed.

ADAMS
    ALLEN
    BARTHOLOMEW
    BOONE
    BROWN
    CASS
    CLARK
    CLINTON
    DELAWARE
    ELKHART
    FLOYD
    GREENE
    HARRISON
    HENDRICKS
    HOWARD
    JAY
    JACKSON
    JENNINGS
    LAWRENCE
    MARION
    MIAMI
    MONROE
    OWEN
    PORTER
    SCOTT
    WASHINGTON
    WELLS

The site to do so is Application for Handgun License.

This, BTW, is 27 of 92 counties in Indiana, or 29%, with more counties adding this capability on an infrequent basis.

Blessings,
    Bill

tr1290

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    ECI
    How does the online application work? Would I have to go to my local Police Department still, or could I take it to the Sheriff's office? Are there any real advantages to it?

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    How does the online application work? Would I have to go to my local Police Department still, or could I take it to the Sheriff's office? Are there any real advantages to it?
    You just fill it out online then go to the Sheriff's office, at your leisure, within the next 30 days. The advantage for me was that I get off work at 3:30 and the records department in my county closes at 4:00. So by filling it out online, I was able to get it done without taking time off work.

tr1290

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    ECI
    You just fill it out online then go to the Sheriff's office, at your leisure, within the next 30 days. The advantage for me was that I get off work at 3:30 and the records department in my county closes at 4:00. So by filling it out online, I was able to get it done without taking time off work.
    I can go to the sheriff's department instead of my local PD if I do it online, even though I live within the town?

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    I can go to the sheriff's department instead of my local PD if I do it online, even though I live within the town?
    No, you have to go to whatever law enforcement agency that serves where you live. I live just outside the city limits so I went to the Elkhart Co. Sheriff's department, but if I lived across the street I would have gone to the Goshen police dept.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    Seems my application was denied by local police around mid-october for an Order of Protection. Although the order has been dropped, and the state was faxed the court form, they still won't grant the license. The court records show that there was'nt any attempt to serve me with the order and the petitioneer did'nt show up, but the Judge decided to grant it anyway. I have cleared myself with NICS, and was able to purchase a handgun, but the state of Indiana wants to drag its heels, and not send me my denial letter so I can appeal.
    I would call the State police and ask if there is an appeal process. I would hate to think you might have to get a lawyer involved, but it could come to that.

tca1352

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Nov 7, 2009
    I would call the State police and ask if there is an appeal process. I would hate to think you might have to get a lawyer involved, but it could come to that.

I called ISP and there is an appeal process. Problem is that my application was denied Oct. 22, but they won't mail out the denial letter until mid-december. Sooner or later I will get the license, because they have "NO CHOICE". If I am not a "proper person" then I don't know what is.

...oh and can someone explain to me how filing for divorce automatically grants a woman a protection order?:dunno:

lyric911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Anderson
    I meant to post this the day I applied, but the Anderson City Police Dept. now charges $10 for the fingerprinting, so make sure you have cash for that too if you're in Anderson city limits.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    True insulation from insane edict is to disregard it.

If by that you mean, carry without a permit, I hope you never have to use your pistol.

Why's that? If he has to use it, he should be fine. Although I hope he never has to use it either, or that I ever need to.
    IC 35-41-3-2
    Use of force to protect person or property
    Sec. 2. (a) A person is justified in using reasonable force against another person to protect the person or a third person from what the person reasonably believes to be the imminent use of unlawful force. However, a person:
    (1) is justified in using deadly force; and
    (2) does not have a duty to retreat;
    if the person reasonably believes that that force is necessary to prevent serious bodily injury to the person or a third person or the commission of a forcible felony. No person in this state shall be placed in legal jeopardy of any kind whatsoever for protecting the person or a third person by reasonable means necessary.

I remember a case many years ago I think mid 80's where a store owner in I think IL shot a robber with a firearm he legally owned but illegally possessed in his store. IIRC he was prosecuted for having the firearm and convicted but was overturned on appeal because of similar language. Anyone able to help me out on this?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    No, but why risk it? Get your lifetime LTCH as soon as you are able then you are somewhat insulated from the whims of state law makers.

This is the government though. If they want to nix handgun permits all they have to do is change a law and have our "representatives" vote on it and all of a sudden any right to legally carry a handgun is gone.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    Why's that? If he has to use it, he should be fine. Although I hope he never has to use it either, or that I ever need to.
    IC 35-41-3-2
    Use of force to protect person or property
    Sec. 2. (a) A person is justified in using reasonable force against another person to protect the person or a third person from what the person reasonably believes to be the imminent use of unlawful force. However, a person:
    (1) is justified in using deadly force; and
    (2) does not have a duty to retreat;
    if the person reasonably believes that that force is necessary to prevent serious bodily injury to the person or a third person or the commission of a forcible felony. No person in this state shall be placed in legal jeopardy of any kind whatsoever for protecting the person or a third person by reasonable means necessary.

I remember a case many years ago I think mid 80's where a store owner in I think IL shot a robber with a firearm he legally owned but illegally possessed in his store. IIRC he was prosecuted for having the firearm and convicted but was overturned on appeal because of similar language. Anyone able to help me out on this?
    I'm not saying that you are wrong, but I would rather not be arrested, in the first place. Even if I did have fantastic grounds for appeal.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    This is the government though. If they want to nix handgun permits all they have to do is change a law and have our "representatives" vote on it and all of a sudden any right to legally carry a handgun is gone.
    The legislators are far more likely to make LTCH much harder to get and far more expensive, than they are to take them away entirely. Still your point is well taken! They could attempt to take them away entirely. Thus the term somewhat in my original post.

Top Bottom