• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    THe article seemed reasonably balanced and intelligent to me, until this:

More than a year ago, two teenagers forced their way into a Brown County home with the intention of stealing beer and shot and killed Richard “Dude” Voland. The teenagers also shot Voland’s wife.
    Bennie Reed, 17, shot Voland in the head with a handgun the teen had stolen from a neighbor. Voland had shot the teenager in the arm with his own handgun. Later, Reed shot Voland’s wife in the stomach with Voland’s own handgun.

What does that have to do with anything?

If it was an article about legally licensed drivers, and suddenly they injected a random year-old incident where a drunk driver with no license rammed in to a schoolbus, it would be obvious to everyone what a non-sequitur it was. I simply do not see how this passage relates to the rest of the article.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    THe article seemed reasonably balanced and intelligent to me, until this:

What does that have to do with anything?

If it was an article about legally licensed drivers, and suddenly they injected a random year-old incident where a drunk driver with no license rammed in to a schoolbus, it would be obvious to everyone what a non-sequitur it was. I simply do not see how this passage relates to the rest of the article.

He spent an awful lot of time trying to convince the reader about how dangerous it is to be anywhere near a gun, let alone actually have one on your person. He helpfully included a dozen or so quotes from "handgun experts" without really qualifying what makes them experts. There were two measly sentences about how regular citizens use handguns to prevent violent crimes, with no supporting data. I wouldn't say it was balanced at all. At best, it was a passive-aggressive attempt to make people fear guns.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    He also failed to say that most gun carriers are also hobbyists and have more "gun training" than the cops...

Overall, not too good of an article. Now John Q Public has to live in fear of the gun owners statistically surrounding him in theaters and restauraunts.

JLB768

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Bloomington
    Wonder how the editors would like it, if their public information was posted on websites for all to see...names, address's, phone numbers, deeds to homes, past criminal offenses, etc. What's good for the goose, is good for the gander. It has been done elsewhere...

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    My opinion of the article: Nice picture of Nate at the range.

At best, this is a random series of quotes and statistics, with no theme except possibly to make people feel uneasy. The message is unclear.

"Plus," I do feel the need to correct something:

One in about 26 Monroe County residents has a permit to carry a handgun in public. To put that in perspective, that means of the 600 people who could fit into a sold-out Buskirk-Chumley Theater, about 23 people [strike]could be armed[/strike] might possess a license to carry a firearm. The number of armed criminals in the theater is unknown; they do not, as a rule, apply for licenses.

indianajoe

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    Fishers
    I'd think that people who actually read this article might just click on that link. They're probably stopping by to read up on these INGO characters and see what they're all about.

I'd hope that those visitors would see our discussions here and think, "well... they sound like reasonable guys. They sound like family men and women, by and large. They're mostly well-spoken, seem to have taken the time to think things out, to understand and respect the law. Most of them sound like they probably cut their grass and keep the place picked up... wish my other neighbors were more like those guys."

Next, I agree with Scutter's comment:
    "There were two measly sentences about how regular citizens use handguns to prevent violent crimes, with no supporting data."
    The piece could have easily been more informative and balanced had the journalist dug just a little deeper. If Scutter and I were executive and managing editors, helping the young journalist grow in his profession, we might point him to a resource such as this, with the suggestion to bring me another draft when you've done a little more homework:
    pchs-570x411.png

Appears in "Gun Facts" available at Gun Facts - Your guide for debunking gun control myth.

Last edited:

JLB768

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Bloomington
    The piece could have easily been more informative and balanced had the journalist dug just a little deeper. If Scutter and I were executive and managing editors, helping the young journalist grow in his profession, we might point him to a resource such as this, with the suggestion to bring me another draft when you've got some good supporting material worked into it:

They didn't want it more informative and balanced, they are simply trying to unnerve readers. Hell, I called it two weeks ago, and was pretty damn close...What I said on page 4, as to the questions being asked by the reporter, and what the probable answers could be....

"Do you ever carry your handgun in public (i.e., to a public place like the mall or walking on a sidewalk on a city street)? = Dangerous concealed weapons being carried in malls full of thousands, and on our city streets where children play."

What the HT article said...

"To put that in perspective, that means of the 600 people who could fit into a sold-out Buskirk-Chumley Theater, about 23 people could be armed."

Hmmmmm, did I call it, or didn't I :rockwoot:

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    As long as address and other personal information is not in the DB, this is the same thing that has been on the HT website for the last 3 years that I know of. You could search by street, city or county and view the number of permits per street. Now, if it goes into addresses and the like, I'd have an issue with it.

I agree with you Nate... I don't live in Bloomington, but it sounds like they're going to put the whole shebang online, by county,etc. That sure makes it sound like they are going to do it. I'm sure that some of you in the Bloomington area are subscribed to this rag... I'm not a subscriber - nor does it look likely that I'll become one. Can any of you who ARE subscribers, please let us know when/if/what they are going to publish??

IF (and I stress IF) they plan on publishing the names addresses, etc... may I suggest that we send some mail to those folks (4900 or so folks) and tell them where we got their address! If we assume that everyone in the county is a subscriber, then they would stand to lose about 1/26 of their readership over publishing this info... Seems like dumb marketing to me.... I would help chip in for some of the postage!

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    I agree with you Nate... I don't live in Bloomington, but it sounds like they're going to put the whole shebang online, by county,etc. That sure makes it sound like they are going to do it. I'm sure that some of you in the Bloomington area are subscribed to this rag... I'm not a subscriber - nor does it look likely that I'll become one. Can any of you who ARE subscribers, please let us know when/if/what they are going to publish??

IF (and I stress IF) they plan on publishing the names addresses, etc... may I suggest that we send some mail to those folks (4900 or so folks) and tell them where we got their address! If we assume that everyone in the county is a subscriber, then they would stand to lose about 1/26 of their readership over publishing this info... Seems like dumb marketing to me.... I would help chip in for some of the postage!

Rep'ed
    Excellent idea!

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    I wouldn't say it was balanced at all.

OK, let me modify that.

That one passage about the teenagers who stole the gun and shot people is the only part that was eggregiously bad as I was expecting the whole article to be.

The rest of it was slanted, biased, and alarmist in slightly more subtle ways.

triton54

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 17, 2009
    NE
    My opinion of the article: Nice picture of Nate at the range.

At best, this is a random series of quotes and statistics, with no theme except possibly to make people feel uneasy. The message is unclear.

"Plus," I do feel the need to correct something:

Very well said. just another media outlet praying on the fears of "normal" people. Next time people go to the movies, you can bet that someone will look around and wonder about all the people CC'ing right NEXT TO THEM.:ar15::ar15::ar15::ar15::ar15::ar15::ar15::ar15::ar15:

Read... Think... Respone to all "media" outlets. :twocents:

Calvin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Bloomington, IN
    This article is exactly what I expected. His trip with Nate to the range served only as a source of images to be sifted through for the ones most useful for making gun owners look bad. The caption notation of the Glock photo noting it's "and many others'" capability to hold 15 rounds and "shoot as fast as one can pull the trigger" is as stock anti-gun media as it gets. I love the other photo choice showing him walking away lugging an AR and what can only be assumed by the unknowing reader to be bags of guns, bullets, and probably explosives.
    As I predicted, only bad things would come of such an article and every contact made with the author. Luckily, it was released in the H-T, a terrible paper whom many who buy don't even read. The lame sub-section in the Sunday paper it was put in has an even lower readership. I would bet about 300 people read that of whom 280 already hated guns and gun owners. IMHO its more of an illustration of the beliefs of those in journalism today than a threat to my liberties on a local level.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    This article is exactly what I expected. His trip with Nate to the range served only as a source of images to be sifted through for the ones most useful for making gun owners look bad. The caption notation of the Glock photo noting it's "and many others'" capability to hold 15 rounds and "shoot as fast as one can pull the trigger" is as stock anti-gun media as it gets. I love the other photo choice showing him walking away lugging an AR and what can only be assumed by the unknowing reader to be bags of guns, bullets, and probably explosives.
    As I predicted, only bad things would come of such an article and every contact made with the author. Luckily, it was released in the H-T, a terrible paper whom many who buy don't even read. The lame sub-section in the Sunday paper it was put in has an even lower readership. I would bet about 300 people read that of whom 280 already hated guns and gun owners. IMHO its more of an illustration of the beliefs of those in journalism today than a threat to my liberties on a local level.

I never met him at the range, I met a photographer. The photographer was a gun owner and ran a couple mags downrange as well. I wanted to pick up a printed copy, but the machine I walked to and the VP were sold out.

Calvin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Bloomington, IN
    Cool. I'm glad the photographer was a good guy. That doesn't really change the editorial choices made in photo selection and captioning.

I never met him at the range, I met a photographer. The photographer was a gun owner and ran a couple mags downrange as well. I wanted to pick up a printed copy, but the machine I walked to and the VP were sold out.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Never said it did. I would like to see the print version though, as it sounds far different than the selections and captions in the online version. Happen to have a scanner?

Cool. I'm glad the photographer was a good guy. That doesn't really change the editorial choices made in photo selection and captioning.

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008

It would have been really cool to have gotten a couple pix of the photographer shooting at the range, and posted them here. :D

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    The reporter never went to the range, interesting.
    I think there will be 2 more installments, published tomorrow and Tuesday?

Can't wait for those to come out.
    Wonder if they will be more of a pro-gun, pro 2nd Amendment........NAH doubt it.
    We shall see?

critter592

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    North Central, IN
    So they're putting the DB online when they already showed one example where a BG stole a gun from another house to attack a second house. So they're going to give MORE information on where to break in and find guns? This paper should be sued and held accountable.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I would like to see the print version though...

I have the printed version for you. The article is above the fold on the front page titled "Armed and ready," with a color pic of your Glock ejecting a case. It continues on page 6 with two more pics taking the whole page, less advertising.

It will be interesting to see what is said Tuesday;
    ...reporter Michael Malik will answer your questions about his gun permit series and the new database in a live Q&A at 11 a.m. Tuesday at http://www.heraldtimesonline.com/livediscussion

The comments section of the online article is full of name calling liberal commentates, as would be expected. I couldn't help myself:

"A lot of abused women escape their life threatening surroundings by relocating and arming themselves. This new searchable database will make it very easy for those looking to "reconnect" with a wife, girlfriend or significant other who ran off.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. I hope the HT is proud of this move."

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Part 2.

I think Cosner needs to learn what an "Assault Weapon" is. I wonder why none of my quotes were used? Oh, it's probably because I told them I didn't go on a stock up spree pre or post election :rolleyes:

Rise in gun sales blamed on ‘Obama factor’
    By Michael Malik 331-4370 | mmalik@heraldt.com
    November 30, 2009, last update: 11/29 @ 9:26 pm
    » Newsletters & alerts: local information sent to your inbox or phone. Sign up here.

ul_Gun_Sales+Z.jpg

Gun shop owner Mark Cosner, left, talks to Brandon Shoults about the characteristics of different handguns. Jeremy Hogan | Herald-Times
    ul_ss_Gun-charts_1130+Z.jpg

Mark Cosner’s Bedford business is booming. Owner of Cosner’s Gun & Knife Shop, Cosner says his gun and ammunition sales have been off the charts since fall 2008.
    Cosner chalks up the increased sales to the “Obama factor, as it is known in the industry.”
    “I am certain these sales are primarily attributed to people’s concern over the Obama administration’s potential for more stringent firearms legislation,” Cosner said.
    However, Hoosiers aren’t just buying more guns and ammunition since President Barack Obama took office.
    They’re also applying for permits to carry handguns in public places.
    The Democrat’s election in November, and fears of an ensuing push for more gun control, caused more Hoosiers to apply for permits to carry a handgun in public, according to the Indiana State Police active handgun permit database.
    The database shows:
    Hoosiers applied for 85,305 permits between January and August, which is a 48.6 percent increase over the permits — 57,371 — applied for during the same period in 2007. It’s also a 64.9 percent increase over the permits — 51,701 — applied for in 2008.
    The number of handgun permits applied for within Monroe County during 2009 — 1,486 — is the highest its been in the last four years.
    EARLIER: One in 26 Monroe County residents has a permit to carry handguns
    Hoosiers aren’t the only people buying more guns.
    The FBI’s National Instant Criminal Background Check System reported that 6.1 million background checks for gun sales were issued from January to May, an increase of 25.6 percent from the same period the year before, according to an Associated Press report.
    No move toward gun control

The increase in sales and applications for handgun permits occurred without any specific gun control proposition from the Obama administration. Obama signed a law in August allowing people to carry loaded guns into national parks, according to an Associated Press report.
    Cosner said it’s difficult to pinpoint a trend in sales increases related to handgun and ammunition because there simply has been an increase across the board when it comes to handguns.
    “That said, many sway toward thin, ‘single-stack’ concealable handguns,” Cosner said. “While others, concerned about legislation which could limit the capacity of magazines, choose to purchase larger, high capacity firearms.”
    Monroe County resident Brent Haley said he was worried that Obama would make a push for more gun control legislation after the last Democratic president to hold office, Bill Clinton, pushed for more gun control.
    “I bought another semi-auto handgun with a large capacity magazine because these too were banned under the Clinton administration,” Haley said.
    Also, Cosner said, more people are buying military-type weapons, termed “black rifles” in the industry.
    “The most popular have been AR-15’s, which fall into the category of assault weapons, a term describing a semi-automatic rifle that functions no differently than most other rifles, other than its intimidating appearance,” Cosner said.
    Fear of future regulation

Bloomington resident Nancy Lee has four handguns that she keeps stashed around her house — one on either side of the bed, one by her safe and one by her desk. But earlier this year, Lee purchased an AR-15 assault rifle and ammunition for it.
    Lee said she bought the assault rifle “not just because of Obama, but because the Democrats gained control of both houses” in the U.S. Congress.
    Bill Dowden, legislative director for the Indiana State Rifle and Pistol Association, said the rise in handgun permits is happening across the Midwest and the rest of the country as well.
    “I don’t think it’s a matter that (people) want to carry them in public places,” Dowden said. “I think (people) just want to be law-abiding citizens and make sure they’re (following the law).”
    Monroe County resident and handgun owner James Kay said he’s noticed that more people are buying guns and ammunition since Obama took office.
    However, Kay said he hasn’t changed his buying habits as other people might have.
    “I think the majority of those individuals who did (change their habits) either have a narrow viewpoint of the gun control issue or have weapons that have been banned in the past or would be what I consider high-powered weapons,” Kay said. “The president and Congress have several other important and long-term issues to take care of and squabble about besides gun control.”
    MORE ON GUNS
    This is the second in a two-part series on gun ownership in Monroe County and the surrounding area.
    EARLIER: One in 26 Monroe County residents has a permit to carry handguns
    This week, HeraldTimesOnline.com will launch its new gun permit database. You’ll be able to search gun permit records by county, city or town and street.
    Also, reporter Michael Malik will answer your questions about his gun permit series and the new database in a live Q&A at 11 a.m. Tuesday.
    Check out the Government Tracker blog to find a post containing more quotes from handgun owners, dealers, law enforcement and handgun experts.

Copyright: HeraldTimesOnline.com 2009

Top Bottom