• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • critter592

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    North Central, IN
    They are making this database available like it's some sort of sex offender registry. This is such horse hockey. Which organization has the most likely ability to get the registry made private with legislation?

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    order a copy. figure out which state reps cover each person on the list. and send them a copy of the article, along with the contact information for their rep.

Just sayin.

ezdubbin97

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2009
    Lafayette
    soo, second article = gun owners are paranoid? I wish it would also be mentioned in these articles that a LTCH is necessary to take a handgun to the range (for practice/train) legally as well.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    This is an awakening- hopefully the first of many. Americans are waking up and realizing that their freedoms are slipping away. Obama may not be taking away the Two-A, but he's a catalyst and the chance that it'll happen has really sunk in to our minds.

It's not paranoia to exercise our God-given, natural rights.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    So off topic a bit. We have one person that has contact their state rep so far about the LTCH database being public so far. Now that the story is done (from our part:INGO input). I think we seriously need a coordinated effort to get our lawmakers to change the law a bit to make the DB for police/court use only.

Do we have a post on this yet? Sample letters? SAP involved? Other groups? NRA has been informed already but perhaps not moving yet on it?
    ????

So now that the 2 of the 3 articles are out does anyone want to help in doing this? Have not heard from the NRA or SAP on this so it looks like we are on are own once again.

My inital thought was to order the DB for $32 and then send each of the license holders a letter letting them know how I got their info and that the HT had their info online for all to see and that it was all legal and that if they did not like this perhap they should call their state congressperson.

However that is cost prohivite even for a group buy. .42 cents per letter x 327,000 = $137,340.00. So the next line of thinking is calling each of them which is still going to require a small army of callers.

Anyone want to help? Or would you all ratherjust continue to moan and complain onlin about it and DO NOTHING!!!! :D

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    A quote from the newspaper editor, posted in both comments sections of the articles:

Bob Zaltsberg
    Monday, November 30, 2009: 9:57 am

The data base will NOT include names or specific street addresses. For the reasons mentioned by some of you above, we have never contemplated naming individuals or including individual street addresses.

It will allow a search by street in a community. I really have doubts about whether that information will put anyone at greater risk in any way, and it would seem to be interesting information for individuals to know whether their street or their community is particularly well armed.

IDCC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Orange County
    I read the article
    License not Permit
    Magazine not clip

About the other article
    After going to cosners that reporter is going to think we are all rich to afford our guns. That is unless he did some research and found out how over priced cosners is.

LCPer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have been following along with this thread. It would be my opinion that the real reason for the increase in purchasing of ammunition and firearms in general has been on the increase for the last several years. This being said I think that over those years individuals have been awakening more and more over time to the fact that our individual rights as citizens have been eroding as time goes on. It is not JUST the “Obama Effect” but it is the individual seeing these rights being slowly taken away. This has been going on for many a number of years. I believe more and more individuals are merely preparing to stand up against an ever growing tyrannical government that is trying to put it’s citizens into the serfdom that our founding fathers fought the king of England to gain our independence. The time may come when that very thing may need to occur again. I pray that time will never arrive. That occurrence is becoming more prevalent in the minds of Patriot Citizens each and every day. I for one believe in Civil Disobedience. I am aware that a lot of news media’s are very liberal in their thinking and publications. Most seem not just to inform but to sway (or frighten) the “not so informed” public into their liberal thinking by telling half-truths and other biased stories. :patriot:

critter592

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    North Central, IN
    A quote from the newspaper editor, posted in both comments sections of the articles:

Bob Zaltsberg

The data base will NOT include names or specific street addresses. For the reasons mentioned by some of you above, we have never contemplated naming individuals or including individual street addresses.

It will allow a search by street in a community. I really have doubts about whether that information will put anyone at greater risk in any way, and it would seem to be interesting information for individuals to know whether their street or their community is particularly well armed.

Ok so they see which streets are not well armed and target them! WTF...over. What an :nuts: If they are not posting a searchable DB on which streets have the most licensed drivers then they should be stopped. What they should do is post a DB on DUI citations. At least then there has been a conviction instead of an exercise of a constitutional right. Maybe they should post a DB on who voted and who didn't.

ezdubbin97

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2009
    Lafayette
    This is an awakening- hopefully the first of many. Americans are waking up and realizing that their freedoms are slipping away. Obama may not be taking away the Two-A, but he's a catalyst and the chance that it'll happen has really sunk in to our minds.

It's not paranoia to exercise our God-given, natural rights.

Absolutely agree 100%, my comment was directed to how I took the second article to be written and read by the general public. As if we are "paranoia" driven.

JLB768

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Bloomington
    Bob Zaltsberg

Well, considering we are the only home on our street, your database has just pinpointed a home where firearms can be found. I am also sure that I am not alone when it comes to being the only home on a particular street. What you have done is reckless, and it was done out of spite against those who choose to exercise their Second Amendment right. If anyone on this list ends up being robbed, I hope they hire an attorney, and sue the paper, I know I will surely try.

chickenman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 4, 2009
    Monroe County
    I just got off the phone with Lt Berky with ISP firearms licensing division, we had a very nice and very informative conversation, the jist was;

The LTCH "list" is public information, he (Micheal Malik) can apply for and receive the "list", he may also publish it online or in the daily paper, if he so chooses. Publishing the information contained in the LTCH "list" is perfectly legal. Irresponsible, but legal.
    Lt Berky also said, the only recourse is through legislation to prevent future publications, currently, as the law is written (right or wrong) he can publish it legally. I relayed the Roanoke story to him and he said, Mr Malik would NOT be immune from litigation, should something nefarious happen through his use/release of public information.
    He suggested contacting your State Representative as he would be the only person with any ability to do anything about this, it is completely outside his control.

it sounds like to me reporter could not be immune from litigation if some happens. i would wonder how far to ask if the newpaper could be held as well? i'm luckly i live on a street were i have neighbors and i'm the not only house here.
    man are so many thing to report on and this reporter pick this story to write.

buzzard pickins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Out by the Prague pond
    On more than on one occassion in marion co. armed with vague informationin i.e, lived all ones life in same neighborhood,attended same church, or walked to work everyday, professional thieves have pieced together a solid roadmap to a persons residence.All from a newspaper obituary and a phonebook. this personally happened to my family,and while at the service our home was robbed in broad daylite. All law enforcement could do was remind us just how sophistacated criminals are. Personally, the editor can go blow smoke up someone else's kilt.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    1) Glad that they are saying that the database will not contain names, addresses, etc.
    That's a step in the right direction.

2) I would urge them to look further into not doing the "street" thing for the reasons mentioned above. I'm not holding my breath, but hey, we can hope, right?

3) For Jediagh - There's many ways to skin that cat... consider what would happen if we did the following:

a) took all 6,000 + INGO members off that list, since they already are hearing about the issue.
    b) Sent out a representative sample to each county (distribute them geographically) and urge them to talk to their gun owning friends that are also on the list.
    c) Pointed them to INGO or some other website where info on how easy it was is shown. NOTE: I would NOT do this without Fenway's permission! We could add a lot of load to the INGO server(s)! Suggest that people check out this thread or similar.
    d) There are cheaper ways of mailing stuff than 42 centavos.
    e) each one of us point it out to our gun owning friends. I pointed it out to a couple of them and they were livid...
    f) hit all of the state reps, congress-critters, etc on the list.

If you want to do it, that's the way to do it. I'm willing to get the database and do that sort of work. I'm out of state on business - but I can try to contact the ISP and find out how long it takes to get the data.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Thanks ArmedProgrammer,

SE is looking into getting the DB (he would need funding to get it; I am willing to pont up some $$$ for it). He already called ISP. There is someone else (also on INGO) that posted that they are getting it.

No I don't want 300,000+ people coming to INGO over this topic. INGO is the wrong venue for political 2A items. SAP/NRA Indiana Chapter (if such a tihng exsits), NWI Patriorts are a better suit "end place" for this type of item. INGO is just a springboard for us to bounce ideas.

I do like your line of thinking. 1st step is we need to get the DB to begin to farm out the list by region/county and then seek help. NRA seems to be getting involved and that is great but that is a double edge sword for those on the fence, non-gun owners, and even gun onwers. A more grass-roots org is needed for this.

mkbar80

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    So now that the 2 of the 3 articles are out does anyone want to help in doing this? Have not heard from the NRA or SAP on this so it looks like we are on are own once again.
    :D

Here is the second response I've recieved from NRA-ILA. I posted the first on this thread.

Thank you for contacting the NRA-ILA. The Bloomington Herald-Times is currently planning on publishing the information about concealed carry permit holders that they have obtained. NRA is trying to determine if there is anything that can be done to prevent such an action by the papers.

In the meantime, NRA has sent out an alert, NRA-ILA :: Bloomington, Indiana Herald-Times Treats Law-Abiding Gun Owners like Registered Sex Offenders!.

Unfortunately, Indiana does not have a confidentiality law, and this is something NRA understands needs to be corrected right away.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. NRA Members around the country are our eyes and ears on the ground and we appreciate your involvement, activism and warning of this problem.

Sincerely,

Erik Eckberg
    NRA-ILA

Last edited:

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    I'm glad the NRA-ILA jumped on this.

Besides the online list, did anyone actually read the articles? From what I've seen they are EXTREMELY poorly writting. They litterally read like a middle-school book report. They jump from subject to subject without covering any single issue in detail. They throw around random details without attaching them to a subject. They forgot to have a beginning, middle and end.

I could ignore the articles being pro-guns, secretly anti-gun, or whatever. It would be more of the same from the media. However, this article is so poorly written it's insulting to the whole gun culture and journalism in general

Top Bottom