• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    Romney was the last straw for me. Not only the choice of him, but how the RNC Convention was held. How the rules were changed at the last minute while the Maine constituancy was being driven around outside the convention. There wasn't clear support for the rules change anyway.

Remember this?

Boehner Booed Over Rule Change At RNC - YouTube

I have defected.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    Rino's are rampant in Washington! It is like two wings of the same party. Where, oh where, are we gonna find the next Reagan? Does one even exist? Can the country be saved or are we well past the tipping point and resigned to our fate and the eventual collapse of this once great country? Moderates are not gonna cut it.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Don't worry. No matter how miserably the team is playing, the fans still but tickets. The few that defect will be called fair weather fans. Just look at the Cubs.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Rino's are rampant in Washington! It is like two wings of the same party. Where, oh where, are we gonna find the next Reagan? Does one even exist? Can the country be saved or are we well past the tipping point and resigned to our fate and the eventual collapse of this once great country? Moderates are not gonna cut it.

Reagan was a moderate. He'd be considered downright liberal by today's standards. They'd run him out of town.

nawainwright

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I'm there. I voted for Gary Johnson. I'll keep voting Libertarian until the Republicans put someone up that I believe is a conservative and will hold to their values. Though that person would likely have to have a Libertarian streak.

Jerchap2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2013
    Central Indiana
    The real problem, IMHO, is that a third party has never won a presidential election, and voting third party just siphons votes from the Republicans and ensures that Democrats continue to win. I am not saying not to vote your conscience, but I am saying that a third party candidate has never won. We have to take back the Republican party. Easier said than done, granted. But I do not realistically see any other way. I think that if Ted Cruz or Rand Paul can stay solidly conservative as the next election cycle gets underway, they could have a very good chance to get the nomination and win the election. I am convinced that conservative principles, effectively communicated, will resonate with a majority of the voters. Reagan had to fight the establishment country club conservatives tooth and nail to get the nomination, and continued to fight once he got into office, only to be succeeded by Bush 41 who was an establishment Republican, who lurched left. If he had had the Reagan principles, character and persona, and continued on the path Reagan set, things would have gone differently, I think.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    Clinton is just a tad too sullied by Benghazi as well as being an insider with her own baggage. I really can't see her winning with her record to be thrown up in her face at every opportunity. I could be wrong though.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Reagan had to fight the establishment country club conservatives tooth and nail to get the nomination, and continued to fight once he got into office, only to be succeeded by Bush 41 who was an establishment Republican, who lurched left. If he had had the Reagan principles, character and persona, and continued on the path Reagan set, things would have gone differently, I think.

How easily we forget. Reagan was the poster boy for moderate Republicans. He wouldn't be "pure" enough for today's GOP.

"As president, the conservative icon approved several tax increases to deal with a soaring budget deficit, repeatedly boosted the nation's debt limit, signed into law a bill granting amnesty to millions of illegal immigrants and, despite his anti-Washington rhetoric, oversaw an increase in the size and spending of the federal government. Before that, as California governor, he enacted what at the time was the largest state tax increase in American history. He also signed into law one of the nation's most permissive abortion bills; any Republican who tried that today would be cast out of the party.

The fact that Reagan often took the actions grudgingly speaks to what, by modern Republican standards, may be one of the greatest heresies of all: At bottom, Reagan was a pragmatist, willing, when necessary, to cut a deal and compromise.

"He had a strong set of core values and operated off of those," said Stuart Spencer, a GOP strategist who stood by Reagan's side for virtually his entire political career, starting with his first run for governor. "But when push came to shove, he did various things he didn't like doing, because he knew it was in the best interests of the state or country at the time."

The real Ronald Reagan may not meet today's Republican standards - Los Angeles Times

Top Bottom