• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    My EDC carry is a G19. It's a good carry gun and I love the caliber, but I'm thinking of adding a revolver to the mix. I'd like to get a .357 that works as a carry gun and I like the reliability (I'm a glock owner) of a revolver and what they bring to the table.

My questions/decision areas are:

1. Barrel length - snubbies are going to be easier to conceal, but is a 3-4" that bad? The length on my glock isn't an issue (it's a width issue). I hated trying to carry a 1911 though (much longer). From a performance issue, I hear mixed things about snubby, but for my use who cares right?

2. Grip - I hate those little baby grips that don't fit your pinky. I fondled an EAA/HW snubby .357 today which I loved the weight on, but the grip was a tad short. I also fondled a Taurus with a full size grip. Can I get a full size grip with a snubby barrel?

3. What else don't I know???

I'm leaning toward a Rossi or EAA just based on price. I don't need something pretty. I've read about a million reviews and some people hate them and some people love them. Would appreciate opinions from on the site.

Totally open to suggestions and thoughts.

1. I wouldn't have a problem with the short barrel. Just be aware that diminishing returns sets in with super hot ammunition since a lot of that extra powder is going into fireball rather than velocity.

2. My S&W Model 60 with the factory-issue Uncle Mike's rubber grips which taper down in a more or less conical pattern fit my large hands quite nicely without being large or bulky.

3. The biggest thing is that you don't know where trial and error will lead you. Make sure you get something which will hold its resale value.

4. I concur with Indiucky--spend a few extra bucks to get a good gun.

Other thoughts: What I take away from your post is that concealability rather than raw performance is the goal at hand. Realistically, in a critical situation, you are going to get 5 and only 5, which is a hell of a lot better than zero. If having 15 were necessary, and concealing were NOT an issue, I assume that you would skip this and simply carry your Glock, and my recommendations are predicated on this assumption.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I have always been tempted to buy a revolver, I like the Ruger LCR (never shot one though). But when I handle one at the gun shop, I can't see how it would be easier to carry VS my Glock 26, which holds more rounds.

I dunno.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Unless i missed it. Im surprised no one mentioned the ruger lcr in 9mm. You already have a glock so you have the ammo around

This is true. and 9mm is more potent than the .38 spl that some love so much.
    I think that gun comes with a couple moonclips, I would buy a few more and find a good way to carry them. The ONLY downside (for me) to moonclips and rimless cartridges is how to carry a reload.

diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    Figured I would chime in also, Dont get a 357 snub, its extra weight and not necessary especially in a snubby.Get a quality .38 and with all of the quality ammo for self defense available today you wont have a problem, snubbies are for up close and personal, COR-BONS come to mind first for ammo.Also, your not going to use all the powder up in a snub, it will go out front , probably in a flame, good show , but it can blind YOU. KISS- KEEP IT SUPER SIMPLE .

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Figured I would chime in also, Dont get a 357 snub, its extra weight and not necessary especially in a snubby.Get a quality .38 and with all of the quality ammo for self defense available today you wont have a problem, snubbies are for up close and personal, COR-BONS come to mind first for ammo.Also, your not going to use all the powder up in a snub, it will go out front , probably in a flame, good show , but it can blind YOU. KISS- KEEP IT SUPER SIMPLE .

Aside from a slightly heavier barrel, not enough so to generate a discernible difference, the only difference between my Model 60 .357 and the Model 60 no-dash my grandma carried was the chambers being bored 1/10 of an inch deeper and hers came with wood grips and the old-style cylinder release.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby

This isn't a bad idea. I know on the Ruger LCR line that there is a noticeable difference in weight between the 38 spl +p version and the .357 version. I guess I like having the option to shoot both calibers (thus would choose the 357 version)
    If I were more concerned about weight, I wouldn't hesitate to get a 38 spl that's rated for +p. There is a lot of quality ammo out there nowadays

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Gonna throw this out there:

What about a Sig P250? It gives you a lot of what you like about a revolver (DAO, no safety, ) but in a higher capacity pkg. The trigger on a P250 is smooth and much lighter than any DAO revolver I've shot. Much easier to handle than most snubs. I'd think a P250 compact in .357sig or 9mm might be a good option for you.

And .357 sig isn't too far behind the .357 Mag in defensive capability. Yes, it's expensive, but you're not looking to dump hundreds of rounds in it, are you?

I only recently discovered how cool the P250 is. I have a P320 and kinda drank the koolaid on P250 hate. Then I dry fired one several times and it "clicked." :) Now I totally want one!

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    Back in the days when LEOs all carried wheelguns my off-duty/undercover piece was a Model 19 Smith .357 with 2.5" bbl. It was and is the nastiest shooting gun I've ever owned.

If you want a .357 stay away from J frames and avoid like the plague the super lightweight revolvers.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Back in the days when LEOs all carried wheelguns my off-duty/undercover piece was a Model 19 Smith .357 with 2.5" bbl. It was and is the nastiest shooting gun I've ever owned.

If you want a .357 stay away from J frames and avoid like the plague the super lightweight revolvers.

Did it have grips that weren't so comfortable? My Model 60 .357 didn't seem that nasty, but then again, the rubber grip fits my hand like it grew there.

Nam1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Evansville
    I don't feel the model 19 2.5 inch barrel is nasty at all. I can do fast controlled pairs with full house factory loads. All one needs is strong hands and forearms. As well as a solid grip. But everyone is different on recoil sensitivity.

gwingo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2015
    Indysub
    I carry S&W 649 everyday. It has a grip large enough for my whole hand. It conceals easily, and being all stainless it mitigates the recoil of the 357's somewhat. I also have a Ruger SP101 and much prefer the smith for carry.

JoP

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Bluffton, IN
    Thanks for all of the input everybody. Much as always, opinions are quite diverse.

Based on feedback so far, I'm leaning 3", .357 on a mid-size frame. Will keep the group updated moving ahead.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    My EDC carry is a G19. It's a good carry gun and I love the caliber, but I'm thinking of adding a revolver to the mix. ...

To my way of thinking, if your EDC is a G19, then whatever you add should complement that in some way.

For example: be smaller and lighter. Revolvers like the LCR can do that. However, many of the revolvers in the thread are larger, and heavier than your G19 and carry a smaller payload (and they'll all be wider). How would that improve things?

Have you thought of a G26? It's not a revolver, although it's smaller and lighter than many of the revolvers suggested in this thread and complements your G19 with ammo and magazine compatibility.

How are you trying to enhance your carry system by adding a revolver? What's the goal here? Maybe that's the question to think about.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I carry a s&w model 60 as my bug(sometimes). I put the clipdraw on it so I don't need a holster. The only reason I only carry it sometimes is because I still haven't bobbed the hammer and that makes carrying it appendix style pretty ******* uncomfortable if you are a fat*** like me. Pocket carry with that gun is out of the question for me especially since it stall has the full hammer.

With all that being said, it's a great snubbie. The "rubber" grips that came with it are decently comfortable(and accomadate a pinky!). And it's pretty controllable with recoil. Although I carry with 38 special.

Top Bottom