• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    While checking out sigs at my LGS yesturday I spied a model 19 S&W 357 Magnum. I love single action revolvers and have only sipped the double action revolver kool aid once. That S&W is a good looking revolver! I've also been smitten by the Colt Python bug, that's a slick looking revolver!! So my main question I guess is should I hold out and try to find a Python or get the S&W? Any pro's and cons, or is there a better revolver I am missing? I want at least a 4", but really a 6" barrel. I want a fairly large framed piece, and I like the looks of the two I mentioned! Thanks for any input, I plan on getting something hopefully in a couple weeks!! Oh and whichever I get will be a range gun/ sometimes oc gun.:rockwoot:

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Of the two choices at hand I would go with the Smith. Nothing wrong with the Colt but because they've become somewhat collectors items, they are pricey. Personally, I would suggest holding out for a 686 with 4" barrel- that length will give you what you want at the range without being too cumbersome to carry. The frame is larger yet the grip is nearly identical to the k-frame 19/66.

There's really no bad choice here.

Dirc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Noblesville
    Personally, I would suggest holding out for a 686 with 6" barrel.

I've had one of these for over 15 years. It would be one of the last guns I'd ever part with if hard times hit.

For what it's worth, if you ever decide that you'd like something smaller check out the Rossi snubbies. Nice guns for the money.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    The model 19 was my first purchase many many years ago. I still have it to this day and would never get rid of it. In fact it is one of my HD weapons because my wife can easily shoot it

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Thanks for the replies! I saw a 686 as well, nice looking piece. I guess their's not much advantage to the 6" barrel, looks good but big for sure. A buddy of mine has a 6" 686 now that I think about it, good shooting revolver. I also agree about no bad choices, they're all sexy guns. :D

braz007

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Between my Father-in-law and I, we have a S&W 586 (blued 686) 6" and a Royal Blue Colt Python.

He dropped $1,200 for the Python and the value of the 586 is around $750 (he paid $250 for it 20 years ago and gave it to me)... They both are beautiful and function flawlessly. I am equally accurate with both.

The Python is really sexy (especially since it is the same firearm that the main character in "The Walking Dead" uses / used), but I couldn't justify almost double the cost.

wintram

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    I have to smiths a 2" 686 and 4" 66 both are great firearms and picked them up for a reasonable price. I just bought a Dan Wesson in 44 mag I will let you how it works when it comes in.

fastwally

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Peru
    Personally I would go with a 29 Classic, I've got both but if I had to have just one I would take the 29. I shoot it much better and you can load down or use 44 specials.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I believe my LGS shop has a couple new 686's for around $650ish and the model 19 is $750ish. Apperantly there are no Pythons around here for sale anyways so looks liek S&W it's. I'm definatly sticking with 357 Mag with the added fun of 38 Special. I had a Ruger GP100 and it was a good gun but I wanted a larger framed revolver, call me crazy.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Between my Father-in-law and I, we have a S&W 586 (blued 686) 6" and a Royal Blue Colt Python.

He dropped $1,200 for the Python and the value of the 586 is around $750 (he paid $250 for it 20 years ago and gave it to me)... They both are beautiful and function flawlessly. I am equally accurate with both.

The Python is really sexy (especially since it is the same firearm that the main character in "The Walking Dead" uses / used), but I couldn't justify almost double the cost.

Nice! I'm not going to lie, that Python Rick carries on the show may have pushed my interest in a double action revolver up the line. Very nice.:yesway:

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    I tell you what you should do. Get a model 19 and have a good gunsmith put the barrel from a Colt Python on it.

Crisis averted.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Very good choices Ford, the S&W model 19 & Colt Python are two of my all time favorite service revolvers.

As previously mentioned collectors have driven up the price on the Pythons so unless you really really want a Python & have a lot of disposable income burning a hole in your pocket I'd say skip them & get yourself a S&W model 19, which IMHO shoots & handles just as nice for about half what a Python would cost you.

I just happen to have a 4" Model 19 sitting here next to me, sorry it is not for sale though, doubt I'd ever part with it, as I love this freaking thing.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Very good choices Ford, the S&W model 19 & Colt Python are two of my all time favorite service revolvers.

As previously mentioned collectors have driven up the price on the Pythons so unless you really really want a Python & have a lot of disposable income burning a hole in your pocket I'd say skip them & get yourself a S&W model 19, which IMHO shoots & handles just as nice for about half what a Python would cost you.

I just happen to have a 4" Model 19 sitting here next to me, sorry it is not for sale though, doubt I'd ever part with it, as I love this freaking thing.

I don't have a ton sitting around, wish I did. But I would trade something with cash to get a python! The model 19 I looked at is a very nice piece, 4" barrel, darker colored wood grips. I like it a lot and it's what I am leaning towards.

zeebandit

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 23, 2008
    I have a SW model 19-3 with a 2 1/2 inch barrel which I really like. I also have a Colt Diamondback 4 inch barrel which some people call a baby Python, which I also like alot, but rarely shoot.

I say buy the SW first because it's cheaper and shoot it.

I,m looking for a nice Python, but they are expensive. :(

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Nifty idea, is that even possible and where in the world would I find a Python barrel?!? That's almost like putting a ford motor in a chevy or something isn't it? :):

smython_4inch_silver_wood_prop.jpg

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I believe my LGS shop has a couple new 686's for around $650ish and the model 19 is $750ish. Apperantly there are no Pythons around here for sale anyways so looks liek S&W it's. I'm definatly sticking with 357 Mag with the added fun of 38 Special. I had a Ruger GP100 and it was a good gun but I wanted a larger framed revolver, call me crazy.

:scratch: The GP100 is a larger framed revolver than a model 19 (k-framed). The differences in frame between a gp100, a Smith L-frame and a Colt python are so close as to be moot.

Maybe you're really searching for something in the n-frame size chambered for 357. Perhaps a Smith Model 27 or 28?:dunno:

Top Bottom