• Chapparal

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 16, 2011
    B'town
    Ford/Chevy, Colt/S&W........

I like Ford and Colt.

Does the Smith fit your hand well and do you like the "feel" of the gun? If so, it is a very fine weapon and will provide you a lifetime of service, good service. Pick the one that fits you best! Oh, and you can shoot is SA also ;-)

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Picked up my revolver fix today, Colt official police in 38 special. I like it a lot, not to find a good old holster for it!! :rockwoot:

picture.php

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I'm a ruger revolver fan myself, I'll admit it.

Yes, the triggers are nasty out of the box, but I can make them pretty **** "good" in about 30 minutes. My 454 SRH in double action feels ideal for a revolver to me, and single action I aimed for 4.5pounds with zero creep. I ended up around 3.5-4 pounds, which is a tad too light but, since there's no creep it's fine for me.

Personally I'd get a GP100, read up about ruger trigger jobs, and do it slow and intelligently. Some fine cratex wheels and fingers are all I used.

Everyone has their preferences, smiths are nice, colts are fine but most of the ones still around that I've shot needed some trigger work after being excessively worn. Of course S&W performance center guns give you what you pay for, without the slightest doubt.

kmshooter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    Boone Co.
    I just picked up a very nice Smith 19 357 last weekend at the Tipton Show. It cleaned up very nice and shoots very well. Not sure if it has been worked on, but it has a great trigger. Right now it has target grips on it but am looking for a set of smaller grips so it fits my wife and daughters a little better.

As far as choosing between Colt and Smith, you just can't go wrong with either one.

Ahgo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    New Haven, Indiana
    I shot a 19 4" barrel in a shooting league last season until I purchased my 686 6" barrel. That gun is awesome and sexy. My vote is wait until you can get a hold of a 686 with a 6" barrel. Good luck on your search.

AverageMidwest

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fishers
    Best alternative of all, if you can find one....686 Mountain Gun by Lipsey. A 686 that points (and looks, sorta) like a Model 19. Got one NIB on gunbroker.com for $689.00 as of this morning, but I imagine it will go fast.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Of the two choices at hand I would go with the Smith. Nothing wrong with the Colt but because they've become somewhat collectors items, they are pricey. Personally, I would suggest holding out for a 686 with 4" barrel- that length will give you what you want at the range without being too cumbersome to carry. The frame is larger yet the grip is nearly identical to the k-frame 19/66.

There's really no bad choice here.

Exactly

Top Bottom