• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    This is worse than the Glock vs 1911 threads.... Everyone is different. We all have prefereances. That's what makes the world go round. All of these guns are mass produced on an assembly line by PEOPLE... Mistakes happen. Lawyers happen. Every one of these companies has put out their share of lemons. You can google Rugers blown up and come up with plenty of pictures, Google S&W blown up and get the same result....

I love my GP100, has never given me any issues. I don't go talking crap about a S&W, not needed. Chevy or Ford? You choose.

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    The OP poses quite the question, S&W or Ruger. Well here is a commonsense based opinion from a admitted non firearms expert. I own a S&W 66 & 686 one Ruger Super RH, a Colt Tropper, and Python and one Dan Wesson.

I obviously can not recommend any Colts unless the OP wishes to spend an ridiculous amount of money, he didn't include Dan Wesson as a choice so that leaves S&W and Ruger. I have put thousands and thousands of 100% trouble free reloads and factory ammo through all of my revolvers and I can not honestly recommend one over the other in terms of trouble free use as strictly a fun range firearm. And I can not say a single bad word about any of them. I am at best an better than average shot with a revolver, and I shoot my S&W better than my Ruger, not by a great amount but a noticeable amount none the less ,but I shoot my Dan Wesson best of all.

I am hoping the OP has extensively handled both and with some luck, shot both as I do not think anyone can offer any reasons substantiated by anything else except personal opinions as to why he should chose one over the other as S&W and Ruger both make excellent revolvers. Now if the OP were buying the revolver for a task specific purpose such as to carry in bear country in Alaska, I might have a reason to make a recommendation of one over the other, but for general all round multi purpose revolver I personally don't see how a person can recommend a S&W over a Ruger or a Ruger over a S&W based on strictly relaiability and functionality.

Having said all that, FOR ME PERSONALLY I prefer S&W because again IM MY OPINION S&W is a much better looking pistol and fits my hands better and therefore I shoot it better, other people's experience might be and for an unknown number will be just the opposite. If I were buying a .357 tomorrow it would be a 686, if it were a larger more powerful caliber say a .454 for economic practicality my first choice would be a 460 S&W as I can shoot .45LC, and .454 Casell(sp), if I couldn't afford it I would go a with a Ruger in .454.

The OP should thoroughly compare each SbyS and pick the one that feels and functions best in HIS OPINION as he is paying for it.

FWIW;
    This to me isn't a Chevy VS Ford as I have owned several of both and my next truck is going to be Tundra.

Last edited:

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    ^^^ ROFL. I've never seen that and even though I prefer the Ruger, find that very funny. :yesway:

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Ruger started a ad war with S&W years ago.
    I have looked for a copy of their(Ruger) ad but can't find it.
    The one above is S&W's reply to Ruger's ad.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Excellent! Just like the term tack driver! Today that could mean the ability to hit a man sized target at touching range!

I blame gun writers . . . ok, some gun writers . . . ok, a few gun writers.

I DO NOT BLAME THIS GUN WRITER=>
    tam_revolver.sized.jpg

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    None of this matters anyway. Revolvers are outdated. Best used as a paperweight.

Kinda like muscle cars huh. You can buy lots of new cars that out handle and out run and get 2X the gas mileage of most all the stock muscle cars I grew up with.:stickpoke::p

Revolvers(shot DA) are the stick shifts of the handgun world. Anyone can drive a auto reasonably well but a stick and clutch is harder to do and it is fun to see someone who has mastered it.

Wana race Rusty?:draw:

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Kinda like muscle cars huh. You can buy lots of new cars that out handle and out run and get 2X the gas mileage of most all the stock muscle cars I grew up with.:stickpoke::p

Revolvers(shot DA) are the stick shifts of the handgun world. Anyone can drive a auto reasonably well but a stick and clutch is harder to do and it is fun to see someone who has mastered it.

Wana race Rusty?:draw:
    :cool:

My muscle car just so happens to have the third pedal. We will see just how many of these newer cars are around in 47 years.

Learning how to tune up a wheel gun is on my list of things to do. The knowledge must be passed down and live on...

Last edited:

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I blame gun writers . . . ok, some gun writers . . . ok, a few gun writers.

I DO NOT BLAME THIS GUN WRITER=>
    tam_revolver.sized.jpg

I like that gal's writing....When I first got on INGO I sent her a fan pm when I realized she was "that" Tamara....She had written a couple of blogs about some classy Smith and Wesson's (One was about a K 22 I believe) and the post was so well written (and I was kind of shocked to see a young lady appreciating such a thing) that when the opportunity arose I sent her a pm telling her I admire her work....

Thus forever embedding myself in her mind as a creepy old geezer who once stalked her on the internet....:)

I just went to her blog...This is the kind of writing I mean...She's got a sharp smart ass kind of wit...I love it...

"I've taken enough zinc since yesterday to poop out a Hi-Point slide"

Last edited:

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I'll do your transfer for free lil' brother...You are $25 dollars closer...:)
    See this is why I need to stay away from INGO...... Because I would do that, even though it would cost me more than $25 to get down there, it's still too good of a deal. Perhaps if there are still some available come the end of next week, I will consider this. Then I'll have to plan a trip. :cool:

Top Bottom