• ...and so much more!
  • Span24

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 19, 2013
    North Central
    Ruger ...period

Maybe its my bias but Smiths all look the same to me. With Ruger you're getting a tank that will last through most anything you can throw at it and plenty of different models to choose from. Am I an expert? Nope! But I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express and I own more than a dozen Ruger revolvers. Owned a Model 10 Smith once and couldn't sell it fast enough!

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Ruger ...period

Maybe its my bias but Smiths all look the same to me. With Ruger you're getting a tank that will last through most anything you can throw at it and plenty of different models to choose from. Am I an expert? Nope! But I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express and I own more than a dozen Ruger revolvers. Owned a Model 10 Smith once and couldn't sell it fast enough!
    Nothing wrong with Rugers, but I always thought that the S&W had a better look, trigger and ergonomics. I never cared for the Micro adjustable sights on the Ruger revolvers. My experiences are limited to shooting the older S&W revolvers and Rugers. The similar Rugers always seemed heavier and less well-balanced. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but the S&W Model 10 is probably one of the best selling and widely used revolvers that has ever existed.

Span24

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 19, 2013
    North Central
    You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but the S&W Model 10 is probably one of the best selling and widely used revolvers that has ever existed.

Thank you for the kind rebuttal. And I certainly will not disagree that the Model 10 is extremely popular! I think that the one I had was a Mexican Police (re)Import. BWAHAHAHAHA!

Klanham5576

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    NE Indiana
    Neither choice is a bad one. I've shot a couple SW's but wound up with a SP101 Wiley Clapp. I just don't think you can lose on either choice. Now if we are comparing to Charter Arms...

Citizen711

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    Fishers
    I have also been doing some research to decide between Ruger and S&W. Those of you who mention the sturdiness of the Rugers as a deciding factor, what do you think about what TheYankeeMarshall has to say on the matter? Is he misinformed, or is his information accurate and something of which many of us weren't aware? He seems to like them both, so I'm not sensing any bias on his part.

https://youtu.be/_PtMFQvQVdo

Span24

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 19, 2013
    North Central
    I have also been doing some research to decide between Ruger and S&W. Those of you who mention the sturdiness of the Rugers as a deciding factor, what do you think about what TheYankeeMarshall has to say on the matter? Is he misinformed, or is his information accurate and something of which many of us weren't aware? He seems to like them both, so I'm not sensing any bias on his part.

'Internet BS' starts with ?his? YouTube channel! (don't get me started)...

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany

From what I've always heard and now read, forged parts are stronger than cast. He appears to be correct with his view about that. He does further state that with the extra bulk of Rugers compared to Smith & Wessons that they are equally strong. I would say that I never felt as though either was superior over the other in durability. I shot a Ruger Security Six loose, but I got it used. I've had the timing need fixing on S&W K frames. I think that it comes down to the balance, trigger pull, weight and aesthetics. You really can't go wrong with either. That being said, both companies have had some trouble lately with QC, but not enough to prevent me from buying one or the other.

JJM7288

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 4, 2015
    Zionsville
    I've been researching which revolver to buy recently too. Made my decision this week, Ruger GP100 Match Champion. Picked it up today and shot it. It is smooth as silk and really liked 110g magnum loads. This replaces my Service-Six that I gave to my oldest daughter when she moved to Texas earlier this year. I liked the 686 SSR too, but the Ruger was better for me. Thirty years ago made the same decision on the Service-Six.
    Merry Christmas.

85Cosmo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2016
    West Lafayette
    Sure to be a lot of opinions on which to buy, but if you think you might sell it some day, the S&W will probably sell easier with more of your money coming back to you. I have some of each and like them both, but resale value is on the S&W side.

PaulKersey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 16, 2012
    Evansville

TheYankeeMarshall is an interesting character. I have watched several of his videos recently, and while he is certainly knowledgeable and experienced, he seems to generally not give much thought to other prominent voices in the shooting world. In other words, he forms an opinion and just disregards the experiences of other equally (or more) qualified people. He seems to like both S&W and Ruger revolvers, with a clear preference for S&W. I can't speak to the metallurgy argument, but I have noticed that when I pick up a Ruger revolver, it just feels like it will last a lot longer than I will. I don't get that same feeling from S&W models, though they are certainly fine guns and may have other advantages (trigger, etc.). Of course, this is just a subjective opinion, but I do think that Ruger's reputation for durability is well-founded. Also, Ruger customer service is awesome.

khayden65

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    United States
    Have had both; Ruger GP100, in a 3" Matte SS and Match Champion (Novak sights). A few friends have the 686's. I prefer the aesthetics and action of the Ruger's. You can't go wrong with either one, so which ever one you like best is the correct choice.

sdb321

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2016
    LaFontaine
    Yesterday I bought a new S&W 686 SSR. The fit and finish is outstanding. It is assembled by the factory with performance center parts then checked by a PC gunsmith before shipment. The quality is amazing. "SMITHS FOREVER"!!!

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Yesterday I bought a new S&W 686 SSR. The fit and finish is outstanding. It is assembled by the factory with performance center parts then checked by a PC gunsmith before shipment. The quality is amazing. "SMITHS FOREVER"!!!
    Saw you posted likewise on the S&W forum. That's a really cool revolver. You need to post up a picture (or 10)! Hopefully you've had a chance to shoot it up by now, right?!?

Definitely a Smith guy myself, and can't wait to get my hands on the new 2.75" Model 66 that will hopefully begin shipping sometime after this week's SHOT Show. It's a purchase I am determined to make this year.

khayden65

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    United States

"
    I was subscribed to his channel but unsubscribed and stopped following his channel. It wasn't his opinion that drew me away it is his delivery, he grades on me like nails on a chalkboard.....

Top Bottom