• ...and so much more!
  • Rburney

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 15, 2017
    Avon
    Looking for suggestions for a nice mid priced revolver for my wife. Prefer .38. She has MS and struggles trying to use semi-auto pistols. She has a Ruger LCP and no longer can pull the slide back effectively. Looking for something light weight with a lighter trigger pull. I have not shopped for revolvers in years and I am just starting the search. I am considering the Rock Island M 206 or the Ruger LCR. Does anyone have experience with either of these?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Older Colt Detective Specials, the ones made before they put the beefy shroud on the guns can be had very reasonably on GB.

Nice Mustang!

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    A revolver is a good choice, esp. for anyone that does not shoot or carry often. Of course the hammer can be cocked when the trigger finger is not strong enough. My experience is all with S&W, Colt, Ruger SP/GP (all metal) series and Charter arms.

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    The Ruger LCR comes in a variety of calibers, even the 9mm. The 38 I had experience with was fine. Easy to carry easy to shoot. But like said above, might look at a sa/da revolver for ease of use.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Without work by a competent pistolsmith, it is unlikely that you'll find any revolver with a trigger pull lighter than most semi-auto pistols. Short barreled revolvers are good choices for self-defense for someone who is willing to put in the time to learn how to shoot them well and operate the cylinder release. I'd steer clear of any cheapos. The Beretta 3032 Tomcat in .32 ACP caliber can overcome the need to operate the slide, but it still has a stiff trigger pull. Bosshoss Revolver Works, now in Madison, IN can slick up and lighten a trigger pull on a revolver (best if a Smith & Wesson).

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Don't overlook the Taurus revolvers. Most are good shooters, I've got a 605 in .357 that shoots to POA but you would look through their .38 line up and they are reasonably priced. You might find a decent used one on Armslist or GB.
    Take a good look at the Taurus 856. 6x .38Spl +p. You can easily upgrade the trigger and hammer springs to your liking. They are available from Wolff. Holster options abound. I recently found a LNIB black 856 w/ factory Veridian laser grip, 2 speed loaders and kydex iwb for $400. :ingo:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Looking for suggestions for a nice mid priced revolver for my wife. Prefer .38. She has MS and struggles trying to use semi-auto pistols. She has a Ruger LCP and no longer can pull the slide back effectively. Looking for something light weight with a lighter trigger pull. I have not shopped for revolvers in years and I am just starting the search. I am considering the Rock Island M 206 or the Ruger LCR. Does anyone have experience with either of these?
    If the wife needs one for CC, the Ruger LCR .38 sp has a lighter trigger & less recoil that others.
    Beware of anything "Airweight" or "Liteweight" b/c more felt recoil.
    In addition, the right ammo would also help mitigate recoil.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    M206 is trash. Trust me.

A person who has MS and can't operate a slide is not going to have any easier time keeping sights on target through a DA trigger pull. I don't think that is necessarily the solution you're looking for. An LCP is also a crummy gun from the slide racking standpoint, and there are several newer "lite-rack" type guns that will be much easier to operate.

Or, out of the box suggestion, avoid racking entirely with a Tomcat/Bobcat or that weird new tip up barrel Girsan .380.

Finelinedefense

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2023
    Fountaintown IN
    642 with a trigger job. M206 is garbage.

Top Bottom