• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Looking for suggestions for a nice mid priced revolver for my wife. Prefer .38. She has MS and struggles trying to use semi-auto pistols. She has a Ruger LCP and no longer can pull the slide back effectively. Looking for something light weight with a lighter trigger pull. I have not shopped for revolvers in years and I am just starting the search. I am considering the Rock Island M 206 or the Ruger LCR. Does anyone have experience with either of these?

100% LCR in centerfire cartridge of your choice, with preference to the .38 loaded with wadcutters for low recoil but good terminal ballistics.

The cammed trigger system of the LCR makes the trigger more linear and smooth than any other factory revolver I've ever messed with, and I've messed with a few of them. Front iron is pinned on, very easy to swap to a fiber optic high viz, night sight dot, etc. I have carried the .357 as a BUG, around the house pajama pants gun, jogging gun for years. Used it once on a pitbull that latched on to my arm. Worked as advertised.

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    High marks for a Ruger LCRx. If the DA trigger is to much for her, she can always go to SA by cocking the hammer. Very reliable and still lightweight enough to carry on a daily basis. The .38 caliber model will do everything she needs it to do when loaded with the right ammo. The .357 would be a better way to go in my opinion since it would give you a larger choice of ammo, but it will be a bit heavier to constantly carry. The main thing is which model is she more comfortable with.

Another option would be a Charter Arms Undercover .38. A decent gun and lightweight. Smaller than the LCRx and might fir her hand better. Definitely cheaper than the LCRx as well, but not the same quality either. Still, it would be a viable option.

Of course, you can't go wrong with any S&W J frame either.

I would recommend going to a LGS and have her handle them and see what works better for her. Then scout the ads here and find one at a gun price. Nothing wrong with buying a good lightly used gun and saving some money.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    The lightest trigger I have on a revolver is in a Ruger SP101.
    Mine is of the .327 fed/mag flavor and boasts minimum recoil.
    The triĝer is crisp and smooth, and lighter than any revolver I've ever fired.

vtnewbie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2019
    Vermont
    If her hands are too weakened from MS to rack a slide, I would guess that recoil is also an issue. A Ruger LCR in .327 Federal can handle all the lighter recoiling versions of .32 ammunition: .32H&R, .32 Long, .32 Short, or even .32ACP. All are milder recoiling than .327, which already recoils less than many hot .38 Special loads. Just a thought.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    The lightest trigger I have on a revolver is in a Ruger SP101.
    Mine is of the .327 fed/mag flavor and boasts minimum recoil.
    The triĝer is crisp and smooth, and lighter than any revolver I've ever fired.
    What is the trigger pull weight?

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    I don't normally recommend NOT getting another gun, but have you thought about non-firearm self-defense options? A slide or DA revolver trigger may be too much for her to handle, but there are other options out there. Maybe look into pepper sprays or mace. I don't know much about them but do some research on something like that. It would be easier for her to use and she could practice occasionally in the back yard. Just a thought. It seems like a firearm may not be the best choice in her situation.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Looking for suggestions for a nice mid priced revolver for my wife. Prefer .38. She has MS and struggles trying to use semi-auto pistols. She has a Ruger LCP and no longer can pull the slide back effectively. Looking for something light weight with a lighter trigger pull. I have not shopped for revolvers in years and I am just starting the search. I am considering the Rock Island M 206 or the Ruger LCR. Does anyone have experience with either of these?
    Highly recommend a Ruger SP101 in .38 special...while the revolver is a tad heavier than the lighter-weight revolvers (think: S&W scandium framed revolvers), it's additional weight (26 oz empty) will go a long way to aid in absorbing felt recoil, making for a bit nicer range revolver.
    The SP101 series revolvers has a pinned-in front sight, which makes it easy to install a tritium front sight for low / no light shooting situation(s).
    There are numerous grips available to help make it comfortable in just about any hand-size!
    Performing a McCarbo trigger job on it will definitely smooth out the action and make the DAO feature feel 50% lighter and adding 9# or 10# Wolff Springs can help as well!
    Best of luck!

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    You won't see me recommend these very often, as I much prefer my J-Frames, but the LCR -series has a lighter trigger pull. The LCR actually has one of the smoothest and lightest DA trigger pulls I've ever encountered on a revolver. It has a kind of funky double-click reset that I don't really like as it lends itself to short-stroking, but that can be trained around. For her situation, if it must be a revolver, that one is probably the best choice.

If you buy the .357 version and shoot .38s out of it, it's a bit heavier and will help further mitigate the recoil.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Whatever the decision take your wife along and let her manipulate the guns. One thing to keep in mind is what she can do today, she might not be able to do tomorrow. My best wishes to her dealing with this terrible disease.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    I have worked with lots of students with chronic arthritis, Parkinson’s, and disabled limbs. While many can learn a better way to manipulate the firearm, some reach a point of diminished returns for firearm usage.

I found that many fit people have trouble racking slides and shooting double action simply by being untaught on how to do it. I see strong men rack slides with ease but not smarter for the right physics simply because they have never needed to learn until they can’t.

Good luck OP and exhaust the education before trying to buy the answer.

See you on the range

Trapper

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    With MS I believe trigger pull on a revolver is too much
    My wife has very arthritic weak hands. She thinks the LCR is the easiest trigger from all she has tried. She cannot rack anything, even the EZ series. The trigger and the weight on the LCR is fine……go figure.

LCR in .357 and use 38’s in there (wad cutter if you can find some) and your off!

duanewade

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2019
    Columbia City
    Saw thus in the last Guns & Ammo issue and looks to be kind of right what you're looking for. A .380 with a tip up barrel.

45sRfun

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Without work by a competent pistolsmith, it is unlikely that you'll find any revolver with a trigger pull lighter than most semi-auto pistols. Short barreled revolvers are good choices for self-defense for someone who is willing to put in the time to learn how to shoot them well and operate the cylinder release. I'd steer clear of any cheapos. The Beretta 3032 Tomcat in .32 ACP caliber can overcome the need to operate the slide, but it still has a stiff trigger pull. Bosshoss Revolver Works, now in Madison, IN can slick up and lighten a trigger pull on a revolver (best if a Smith & Wesson).
    Tomcats are great and only have a stiff trigger pull on the first, DA, shot. After that, its all SA and a very light trigger. So light, in fact, that one could double tap on the first shot without actually intending it. I have a Tomcat, but when I carry a .32, its the Kel Tec P-32, a very reliable, lightweight, small gun, so easy to conceal.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Buy a 357mag that way you can shoot both 38 spl and 357mag if need arises.
    If for some reason you cannot find 38 Special you may find 357mag and vise versa.

Also I recommend using 148gr Match wadcutters such as Federal Gold Medal Match. They are soft shooting and do a decent job of penetration in a snub nose revolver. They are also accurate rounds.

Ruger LCR or LCRx is a nice lightweight revolver. I have one myself that I gave to my father to use. If I had it to do over again I'd have bought the 3" barrel instead.

$594

Last edited:

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Test drive the 38 special first . I have a couple that dad had trigger jobs done on and those triggers are great, but useless if the spouse is unable to hold onto the gun due to recoil .
    As we age, some of us and our spouses will be in this category. Again, try before you buy.

Top Bottom