• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • The Drifter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Cedar Lake
    He forgot [1] , I hate revolvers because it,s so darn easy to collect your brass for reloading . How dare they make a gun where I don,t have to get on the ground and pick up brass ,where brass is not flying everywhere including down my wife's bra , hearing screams of pain. It,s down right upsetting .

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    He forgot [1] , I hate revolvers because it,s so darn easy to collect your brass for reloading . How dare they make a gun where I don,t have to get on the ground and pick up brass ,where brass is not flying everywhere including down my wife's bra , hearing screams of pain. It,s down right upsetting .

:+1:

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I noticed his support hand thumb was black. That's Caleb Giddings of Gun Nuts Media and original contestant on Top Shot. He's also an inactive INGO member and USPSA competitor.

There are 2 basic handgun grips for autos. The high thumb/thumb over thumb and the old revolver grip (where the strong thumb is locked down on the middle finger and the support thumb is locked down on the strong thumb). On revolvers you can only really use the revolver grip (the cup and saucer hold lost favor 40 years ago and the thumb over the back of the hand is in the senior citizen home.

Nothing against Mr Giddings but most of the hosts of any number of gun shows on TV (don't get me started on the 99% incompetence rate of youtube gun non know anything gurus) Is most would do viewers a favor if they researched how to actually use/shoot certain firearms. Anyone that tries the high thumb with a wheel gun will not be as an effective shooter with it. It just doesn't work well and if their hand is large on a medium revolver or anyone uses it with a snubby you will at the least have black thumbs, at the most have a trip to the ER.

As a revolver guy nothing gets my goat as someone doing a review on a DA revolver and all they do is cock it single action THATS NOT HOW THEY ARE SUPPOSE TO BE USED so stick to your polymer kid

OK rant over back on topic Revolvers are AWESOME!

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    As a revolver guy nothing gets my goat as someone doing a review on a DA revolver and all they do is cock it single action THATS NOT HOW THEY ARE SUPPOSE TO BE USED so stick to your polymer kid

Starting six months ago I made a vow to only shoot my revolvers double action...I try to put about 300 rounds per week through them (counting my Smith K 22) and after about two weeks my hit ratio was the same as single action...And I mean double action!!!! Not pulling the trigger on those Smith's until they index in single action and then firing but a smooth, straight double action pull....My buddy and I were having an informal whizzing contest with our K 22's double action only and he was indexing and when I called him out on it he said, "Technically I am shooting double action as I am not cocking the hammer..."

He's a lawyer and I guess by legal standards that is double action but you and I know it is not....:)

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Well, while I am not a revolver guy, I do have one that I like to shoot occassionally.

This, to me, is the perfect .357mag.

My SS 4" Ruger GP100 milled for use with moon clips.
    GP100_002.JPG

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I noticed his support hand thumb was black. That's Caleb Giddings of Gun Nuts Media and original contestant on Top Shot. He's also an inactive INGO member and USPSA competitor.

I was going to say the same thing. Cool video though.

Then he should know better...I've been shooting revolvers most of my life, and I would never grip one that way.

There are 2 basic handgun grips for autos. The high thumb/thumb over thumb and the old revolver grip (where the strong thumb is locked down on the middle finger and the support thumb is locked down on the strong thumb). On revolvers you can only really use the revolver grip (the cup and saucer hold lost favor 40 years ago and the thumb over the back of the hand is in the senior citizen home.

Nothing against Mr Giddings but most of the hosts of any number of gun shows on TV (don't get me started on the 99% incompetence rate of youtube gun non know anything gurus) Is most would do viewers a favor if they researched how to actually use/shoot certain firearms. Anyone that tries the high thumb with a wheel gun will not be as an effective shooter with it. It just doesn't work well and if their hand is large on a medium revolver or anyone uses it with a snubby you will at the least have black thumbs, at the most have a trip to the ER.

Caleb made a video reply:

[video=youtube_share;IVaNlkOZd2M]http://youtu.be/IVaNlkOZd2M[/video]

Last edited:

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Caleb made a video reply:

[video=youtube_share;IVaNlkOZd2M]http://youtu.be/IVaNlkOZd2M[/video]

I will stand by my 28 years of doing (and getting paid to do it) and what I have seen in person. I have seen a couple get hurt with blast from a 357 snubby as well as from some barricade shooting with full power loads dislodging debris. While some folks can shoot thumbs forward with a revolver it can be problematic if you make a mistake. What was not mentioned and what I have also seen is the shooters thumb bumps the cylinder thus interfering with the rotation IE trigger pull. Not all the time but just something to take into account. Like all things practice however a lot to get thrown at then if they are new to shooting. As far as stupid well go to any range Private, Military or LE and you will see stupid about everyday as well as a way and a better way.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Looks to me he is having to re-establish thumb/hand position with every shot, I think I just keep going the old fashioned way and maintain a good lock with my thumbs low.

I don't shoot with a high thumb on autos either unless I want to induce an alibi for bullseye competition. :):

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    I shoot high thumbs forward with semi autos but with any rotary gun I tuck all them appendages in TIGHT. I have seen people who were unfamiliar with rotary guns do bad things to themselves. Come to think of it I have seen people do it with Glocks too. They just don't think about what is about to happen.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

I'm not really taking sides on this, just putting up relevant info for discussion.
    (I'd take your advice on revolver gripping. Caleb's not even classified in USPSA for revolver.)

In reference to your find though, it appears Gun Nuts was outing a possible FUDD who was running for NRA board of directors?
    Anti-gun ex-SEAL Brandon Webb to run for NRA board of directors | Gun Nuts Media

Last edited:

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I'm not really taking sides on this, just putting up relevant info for discussion.
    (I'd take your advice on revolver gripping. Caleb's not even classified in USPSA for revolver.)

In reference to your find though, it appears Gun Nuts was outing a possible FUDD who was running for NRA board of directors?
    Anti-gun ex-SEAL Brandon Webb to run for NRA board of directors | Gun Nuts Media

I hear you, there are always 3 sides to a story. But the ones that know the most are the ones that hardly ever talk, the quiet professionals if you will.

There are several ways to do most things and gripping a handgun is one. Most actual instructors (or folks that have business giving advice) will tell you its A WAY and have a plan B or C for "Those Shooters". Just some ways work better than others. Everyone is free to do what they want but if you get some things pointed out don't fret about it, no one walks on water. One that is good at USPSA might not do good in the steel challenge and IDPA is totally different in a way as well.

Top Bottom