• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    As usual, it appears that whoever wrote the law knows very little about the subject matter. What an ignorant approach. A .300 Weatherby Magnum or .300 Holland and Holland Magnum is legal but not a 7mm Remington Magnum.
    .450 Bushmaster is still fine but don't you dare use a 45-70 or a .444 Marlin. Face Palm!

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    As usual, it appears that whoever wrote the law knows very little about the subject matter. What an ignorant approach. A .300 Weatherby Magnum or .300 Holland and Holland Magnum is legal but not a 7mm Remington Magnum.
    .450 Bushmaster is still fine but don't you dare use a 45-70 or a .444 Marlin. Face Palm!

I used the DNR proposal last year, which was later killed, as an excuse to buy a new Handi-Rifle in .45/70govt.
    I was really hoping this time...

Oh well. Maybe in 2021:rolleyes:

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland

It'll come in a few years; just give it time.
    Let's not look this equivalent of a Budweiser Clydsdale gift horse in the mouth in the meantime.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    ".300 Blackout will be a fine addition to the already legal AR-15 calibers."

Except for all the guys that SBR'd their AR in Blackout, since it has to be at least 16 inches. :dunno:*

d80hunter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2015
    Hope
    I've been thinking about a 300 blackout upper lately but I might just wait and see if they allow 6.8 SPC whenever they get around to allowing more calibers. Not interested in a suppressor so I see no atvantage of getting a 300 blackout except to fufill the have something right now urge.

d80hunter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2015
    Hope

I know right. They should allow those two under a non-HPR classifaction since .450 Bushmaster and .458 Socom are similar enough ballistically.

Same for all big bore guns that shoot heavy bullets with a low B.C. that have lower velocities. They should be classed different than the high velocity long range rifles and be allowed on public land. I would like to see this happen one day.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    ".300 Blackout will be a fine addition to the already legal AR-15 calibers."

Except for all the guys that SBR'd their AR in Blackout, since it has to be at least 16 inches. :dunno:*

Don't AR barrels longer than 16" cost in the $100-$200 neighborhood?
    It's an AR Tinkertoy, so no need to buy a whole new rifle or pay a gunsmith $400 or more to rebarrel it.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Who exactly is making the decision on the calibers?? 30 carbine is ok but 6.8 SPC and 270 are verboten??? another example of putting someone in charge of something that has no clue about the subject or desired outcome.

Glock certified armorer- M&P Certified armorer[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&quot] /[/FONT][FONT=&quot] RSO[/FONT]

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Who exactly is making the decision on the calibers?? 30 carbine is ok but 6.8 SPC and 270 are verboten??? another example of putting someone in charge of something that has no clue about the subject or desired outcome.

Glock certified armorer- M&P Certified armorer
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] /[/FONT][FONT=&amp] RSO[/FONT]

Probably, but at least it's something rather than nothing.
    As has already been mentioned, this law as written expires in five years.
    However, the law also requires a review of the law by the DNR at that time, which presumably would include reports on such things as deer population impact, hunting accidents, and other areas that the now legal high powered rifles could change things.
    If people run around being a bunch of idiots, the law will undoubtedly be allowed to die on the vine in five years.
    If people are responsible and ethical in that same time period, it's almost a dead certainty that it will be amended to allow everything with a .243 minimum buillet diameter and a minimum case length of 1.16", which would open it up to that 6.8 SPC, the .270 Winchester, .45-70 Govt., or even the .700 Nitro Express.
    The key here is for the hunters using high powered rifles to be ethical, safe, and responsible with them to justify expanding the law rather than allow it to expire.
    Safe hunting.

WarJunky91

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2016
    Decatur
    People are apparently already getting upset by this. I saw this on the book of faces today. Of course it being legal in Ohio with no incidents is not a valid argument to these people. :rolleyes:

IhmuBkB.jpg

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    I think Ohio just made PCRs legal...but Kentucky has been using centerfire rifles 22 caliber or larger for whitetail for DECADES without any of the nonsense discussed in this state.

But hey, change is scary.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    People are apparently already getting upset by this. I saw this on the book of faces today. Of course it being legal in Ohio with no incidents is not a valid argument to these people. :rolleyes:

View attachment 46492

Yeah, don't see that happening. I think it will take a couple of years of incident free hunting to stop the nonsense people are spewing about this.
    I myself think it will be a little safer in the woods. Most rifle hunters will probably have some sort of optic, which, even though there will be a loaded rifle pointed at someone, will allow for a clearer identification of a target. Not that we have a lot of incidents with shotguns, but just sayin'.

":ar15:Die deer !!!!" <<<< this will probably not happen in Indiana this fall.

Last edited:

osbornk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    Marion, Va
    KISS-Keep it simple stupid. Here in Virginia, we keep it simple. Anything 23 caliber or larger is legal. See our rules:

No restrictions on shot size except for spring gobbler season when it is unlawful to have any shot in possession larger than number 2 fine shot while hunting.
    Shotguns must not be larger than 10 gauge.
    Unplugged shotguns are legal for hunting nonmigratory game and crows.
    Shotgun barrels must be at least 18 inches long.
    Shotguns with rifled barrels are permitted in areas where slugs may be used.
    All game birds and animals, except deer, may be hunted with shotguns from boats. Hunters must have permission from the landowner to hunt/retrieve game located on private land.
    Rifles used for deer or bear must be .23 caliber or larger.
    Rifles (including air rifles) may be used for taking wild animals and wild birds, except migratory game birds and waterfowl, and where prohibited by local ordinances.
    Rifles (including air rifles), pistols, and revolvers may be used for hunting crows and turkeys, except where prohibited by local ordinances.
    Pistols, revolvers, and muzzleloading pistols may be used for small game, except where prohibited by local ordinances.
    Pistols and revolvers are lawful for deer and bear hunting only in those counties where hunting deer and bear with rifles is lawful. Cartridges used must be .23 caliber or larger and have a manufacturer's rating of 350 footpounds muzzle energy or more.
    Muzzleloading pistols of .45 caliber or larger (.50 caliber or larger is recommended) are permitted for hunting big game where and in those seasons when the use of muzzleloading rifles is permitted.
    Muzzleloading shotguns, muzzleloading rifles, or archery tackle may be used to hunt during the firearms seasons where not prohibited.
    Archery tackle (including crossbows) may be used for hunting wild birds and animals.

• The laws governing the use of archery tackle also apply to crossbow tackle.

Top Bottom