• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I've always had an appreciation for skilled trade unions. Those that teach a skill via apprenticeship and so forth.

Labor unions that do trained monkey work... not so much...

This is pretty much my philosophy as well....for the most part.

Still burns me up to see the skilled trades unions protesting jobs that are bid out to non-union companies or when a GC hires a non-union company.

I am generally in favor of the mandatory continuing education and drug testing, however.

-J-

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Yea, that sounds like something that's gonna win people over to unions!
    I CAN'T WAIT to join!:laugh:

To really sell it, they need a gaggle of OWS'ers and some celebrity guest appearances from the sorts like Al "the bull horn" Sharpton, maybe Rev. Jesse "rhyme-man" Jackson, Micheal Moore, et al.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by edporch
    Yea, that sounds like something that's gonna win people over to unions!
    I CAN'T WAIT to join!:laugh:

I hope very much they pull it off. I hope the public sector unions join them and that they actually shut the Super Bowl completely down.

That would be great!
    I'd love seeing those idiots given enough rope to hang themselves from the tree of public opinion. :D

Olive Drab

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Indy
    Do you hear that sucking sound?

That sucking sound is our tax dollars going down the toilet. We could have avoided all this waste (ie... Two sessions of state government where little was accomplished) by just putting RTW on a November ballot referendum vote. Instead we will probably end up with something like they have done with RTW opposition in Ohio and Wisconsin. Sickening! BTW... I have never worked in a union business and passing RTW is not encouraging me to go to work at one. I wonder how much help you will get from union co-workers when you show up and not pay dues. This is just political WASTE of my tax dollars!

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I only wonder who is gonna train all the mexicans that come to indiana for work.

what do you mean "going to come". You apparently haven't been around the south side of Indy where if you walk in to any elementary school you are greated with signs in English, Spanish and Burmese.

Think I'm kidding?

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    That sucking sound is our tax dollars going down the toilet. We could have avoided all this waste (ie... Two sessions of state government where little was accomplished) by just putting RTW on a November ballot referendum vote. Instead we will probably end up with something like they have done with RTW opposition in Ohio and Wisconsin. Sickening! BTW... I have never worked in a union business and passing RTW is not encouraging me to go to work at one. I wonder how much help you will get from union co-workers when you show up and not pay dues. This is just political WASTE of my tax dollars!

where were you last year when Democrats where living in Illinois?

Besides... federal jobs are RTW and the CBO released a report this week stating:

""Compared with private sector employees, federal workers are paid about 16 percent more when benefits including health insurance, retirement plans and paid vacation are taken into account"

Can you esplain? :dunno:

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I don't make many trips to elementary schools these days but I agree about the "going to come" thing. Plenty of places up here that have given warnings in the past about immigration coming through and end up running about 1/2 crew while they're doing their thing. Once they're gone, full crew and playing catch up.

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I'm all for RTW, but I read that that the law exempts state employee unions and unions of a political subdivision. If that is true, I've gotta say that if Mitch really had a set the law would apply to public unions as well as those in the private sector. Not so do so seems hypocritical, but I guess we should expect the government to take care of their own.

Still NOT my man, Mitch. :nono: Good riddance to ya.

Olive Drab

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Indy
    Hey Hickman, I don't know how to quote posts yet so I will try to respond in this fashion. As to where I was last year I stated (2) sessions of state gov- this year and last year. As to fed employees being RTW, I'm not sure how that relates to my post. Do they pay union dues? Please clarify and thanks in advance.

Olive Drab

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Indy
    Capt. Bligh, I believe Mitch eliminated collective bargaining for state employees after he was elected thus eliminating unions for state employees. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Check it out, Pat Bauer in drag, moonlighting as Indiana's AFL-CIO president:

KOShow20120106-Guyott.jpg

from: Nancy Guyott on Indiana's proposed right-to-work law and how it may affect the Super Bowl there - Countdown with Keith Olbermann // Current TV

Here she is, doing the hallway hustle:

0309_met_statehouse2_t607.jpg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    I'm glad it's over! My sister and her union carpenter husband have been decrying this RTW action for months. They more or less stated that he will have to move to a "unionized" state to keep working and that there will be an immediate loss of union carpenter jobs. I don't get it? You can't use a pack of illegals and expect the same work to be done. If you want quality work, you have to pay for it. If the level of output isn't the same people won't use it. point blank! I think they will be fine but what the hell do I know?

PINski1015

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2011
    Cyberspace
    I'd rather be my dad paying just 20$ a month and getting paid 28.75 an hour with full benefits than being non union and being paid 11$. Plus I'd rather use a guy who had a 5 year apprenticeship than someone who hasn't. Not totally in favor of unions but they do have there benefits such as trained individuals.

Hiram2005

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Plains of Hamilton County
    Capt. Bligh, I believe Mitch eliminated collective bargaining for state employees after he was elected thus eliminating unions for state employees. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Correct! I'm retired state employee. The union was a conglomeration of the state employees association, state teachers association and the UAW. It was called the Unity Team. It was a BIG joke. I was a supervisor, so I could not join this dog and pony show. I just had to be involved in all the frivoulos grievances that were filed.

A bunch of lazy blanks were all that were members of Unity. You were not forced to join, but the union would threaten you to try to make you pay your "fair share" if you did not want to join. Of course this all went on under the dems, Bayh had signed an executive order giving state employees collective bargaining. Mitch threw the bums out when he took office on day one. :rockwoot:

Thank God!

Hiram2005

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Plains of Hamilton County
    Also, under the state employees collective bargaining, one thing many don't know is this. The state legislature is the body responsible for your raise as a state employee. The legislature is not obligated to follow anything a union "collectively bargains" for on the members behalf.

The first year Bayh was in office, HE froze all wages for state employees. Those were frozen for close to 4 years. Under previous administrations (Republican) we averaged 5% a year increase. So, by the time we got the first raise under Bayh, we were 20% in the hole.

The union was not allowed to bargain on any monetary increase in that time, by orders of Bayh. Guess what the union got the DOT employees that first year? The pretty orange baseball caps that they now sport.
    The state paid over $5 each for a hat you could buy at Wally World for 99 cents at that time.

The members were so proud of their hats!:rolleyes:

Top Bottom