• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    If they are really thinking of disrupting or shutting down the Super Bowl. That would be a really bad idea in so many ways.

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    If they are really thinking of disrupting or shutting down the Super Bowl. That would be a really bad idea in so many ways.

The news didn't even report on this yesterday when the RTW protestors stormed the SB Village, but they (the RTW protestors) essentially shut down all vehicle and pedestrian traffic wherever they moved.

As I looked down from my building, I saw thousands upon thousands of the RTW protestors moving in mass down Capitol Avenue. I saw parents (and it was Family Day at the SB Village yesterday) pushing strollers who were running out of their way because these protestors were not going to stop for anything. I'm sure some of these families were fearful of the demonstration, which is unfortunate.

I saw them coming out my office window, but was too late in leaving my building downtown. I was stuck at the light of Meridian and South Street for about 15 minutes, unable to move, as they walked within inches of all corners of my vehicle...and they just kept on coming and coming.

I made the mistake of trying to creep a few feet up further towards the light, and at least three of the RTW protestors stopped and stared me down like I was the one in the wrong.

The few cops that I did see looked overwhelmed and frustrated with the entire situation.

I understand the right to peacefully assemble and protest; however, when the protestors impede those of us who are trying to come to and from work, that's where I no longer care about your message or what you're trying to say. In fact, if I was interested in listening to you and figuring out if I sympathize with you, I no longer care what you have to say.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Exactly as I predicted. RTW protestors made absolutely ZERO friends and probably quite a few enemies with their little display.

They need to direct their ire at the proper group of people if they want to accomplish their goal.

onesurveyor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Unions and property taxes should both go in the history books. Out dated ideas that once had a place but long ago.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    You simply no longer have union representation. Which means 'if you screw up really bad', the union can't and won't help you - your on your own.

It's a 'right-to-work' law... not a 'right-to-not-get-fired' law.

Wwwildthing,

This is incorrect sir. The NLRA says that the union is legally required to represent you whether or not you are a dues paying member. Now you simply do not have to pay for that representation.

It is a "right to work and not pay union dues" laws. The union must still work for you - except now it is for free.

Regards,

Doug

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel

Wwwildthing,

This is incorrect sir. The NLRA says that the union is legally required to represent you whether or not you are a dues paying member. Now you simply do not have to pay for that representation.

It is a "right to work and not pay union dues" laws. The union must still work for you - except now it is for free.

Regards,

Doug

And NO they don't. Unions are required to represent non-members ONLY if the UNION insists on an "exclusive representation" contract with the employer in which the union is recognized as the only bargaining entity, but this is not required. Contracts can specify that the union will negotiate only on behalf of members and then there are no free-riders that the unions complain so vehemently about. Unions, however, are afraid that non-members will negotiate better deals with management and want to roadblock that possibility at any cost.

Why do unions hate "free riders" but love "forced riders?" Hint: It's not the good of the worker.

Last edited:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    To All,

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics and the AFL-CIO the percentage of Union jobs in Indiana is 10.9%, so let's say 11% are Union.

This means that 89% of our jobs are already nonunion.

Is that 11% so important that a Right to Work Law will turn our economy around? Really???:dunno:

Do not misunderstand me. I have really mixed feeling about the Right to Work. On one hand I don't think a person should be forced to join a Union to get a job, just like I don't think a person should be forced to join a neighborhood code just to buy a home.

That said, I don't like the fact that a union is forced to represent everyone in the shop even if they don't pay for the service.

All that aside I really think that the propaganda surrounding the passage of this law is really blown out of proportion.

11%. Really???

Regards,

Doug

I would think Unions across the country would be screaming "Glory, Hallelujah" at the perfect manifestation of "share the wealth" now taking place in their hallowed grounds. Equality for all has just been achieved.

:yesway: Exactly! I got an email a while back from an acquaintance of mine looking to hire people at minimum wage to protest at the Statehouse. I wish I would have saved it, but I immediately deleted it out of disgust.

I got a phone call. :n00b:

That sucking sound is our tax dollars going down the toilet. We could have avoided all this waste (ie... Two sessions of state government where little was accomplished) by just putting RTW on a November ballot referendum vote. Instead we will probably end up with something like they have done with RTW opposition in Ohio and Wisconsin. Sickening! BTW... I have never worked in a union business and passing RTW is not encouraging me to go to work at one. I wonder how much help you will get from union co-workers when you show up and not pay dues. This is just political WASTE of my tax dollars!

So what price tag do you think freedom is worth?

I'd rather be my dad paying just 20$ a month and getting paid 28.75 an hour with full benefits than being non union and being paid 11$. Plus I'd rather use a guy who had a 5 year apprenticeship than someone who hasn't. Not totally in favor of unions but they do have there benefits such as trained individuals.
    Every man can be bought. You've just told us what your price is. Any takers?

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    This was NOT worth all the fuss. MOst Union guys will stay that way. Contracts are still in effect. No jobs will be lost. all the fuss was political, Democrats need the campaing cash that the unions send. If you opt out of the union your dues cannnot be forwarded to the DNC. that is issue pure and simple

Fine...that is their CHOICE...and choice is EXACTLY the point. Prior to this law...in a union shop, you HAD no choice. Other than to quit.

If the union is all that important, people will still join. Forcing membership is the sign of a lame *ss organization.

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    Fewer than 12% of employed persons in this country are union members. Many of those today are in government service jobs, and teaching.
    Unions should by those number be nearly without power, however, a large amount of their income derived from the forced collection of dues goes to one political party. In the US unions are really little more than a PAC for the Democrats. Therefore the president pushes union values and pledges allegiance to their cause although he has done little if anything to further their causes.
    Is it then any wonder that members of the other party in positions of power enact laws that are or are thought to be harmful to unions. If the unions are harmed that cuts into democrat finances.
    As states several other places in this thread it is " All About the Money"

Olive Drab

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Indy
    88GT Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olive Drab
    That sucking sound is our tax dollars going down the toilet. We could have avoided all this waste (ie... Two sessions of state government where little was accomplished) by just putting RTW on a November ballot referendum vote. Instead we will probably end up with something like they have done with RTW opposition in Ohio and Wisconsin. Sickening! BTW... I have never worked in a union business and passing RTW is not encouraging me to go to work at one. I wonder how much help you will get from union co-workers when you show up and not pay dues. This is just political WASTE of my tax dollars!

FREEDOM? REALLY? So whenever someone says something about government waste your response is "lets spend our way to freedom"? What a joke. Face reality. The union will get enough votes to get this on a referendum ballot vote. I don't give a crap about RTW! It doesn't keep me up at night. It should have been put on a ballot and the people of Indiana should have decided in the first place. But wait, let me get this right, voting for something, that really wasn't a concern for the majority of Hoosiers until it got politicized by both parties, is somehow against freedom?

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    88GT Quote:

Quote:

It should have been put on a ballot and the people of Indiana should have decided in the first place. But wait, let me get this right, voting for something, that really wasn't a concern for the majority of Hoosiers until it got politicized by both parties, is somehow against freedom?

It was "voted" on by the people of the State of Indiana thru their ELECTED Representatives. That is how this is supposed to work. What you're asking for is Democracy, which is in effect "mob rule". Alot of the time the majority is wrong and that is why the FF didn't give us a Democracy, but a Representative Republic.

:twocents:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    88GT Quote:

Quote:

FREEDOM? REALLY? So whenever someone says something about government waste your response is "lets spend our way to freedom"? What a joke. Face reality. The union will get enough votes to get this on a referendum ballot vote. I don't give a crap about RTW! It doesn't keep me up at night. It should have been put on a ballot and the people of Indiana should have decided in the first place. But wait, let me get this right, voting for something, that really wasn't a concern for the majority of Hoosiers until it got politicized by both parties, is somehow against freedom?

You're the one that put this in terms of money. And, no, I do not tend to utilize such inferior logic as to create the false dilemma that the antithesis of no spending is unfettered irresponsible spending.

This is a legitimate use of the legislature. Why should this be on a referendum ballot instead of handled through the legislature? You're really good at complaining and blustering, but you offer little in the way of supporting evidence for your position? Why don't we make every issue that comes before the legislature a referendum issue?

Olive Drab

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Indy
    I agree with you firehawk, that is how it is supposed to work. My posts are reflecting my feelings on how our system works currently and in that context I believe tax money could be saved. I couldn't agree more, we need to get back to a Representative Republic.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis

:lol2::lmfao::rofl:
    Sorry, sir, your statement betrays a total lack of understanding of Democrat party strategy.

First, the referendum would require precise wording to be determined by a bi partisan committee. The Democrats would walk out of this committee multiple time to prevent it ever coming to a vote.

Second, if it somehow DID get to a vote, it WOULD be defeated. The Democrats would then challenge it in court, claiming no law of this type was ever passed by referendum before and it should, therefore, be overturned.

They don't care about majority rule in any form. They care only about having plenty of union money for their campaigns. They will do anything they think they can get away with to get the money.

Olive Drab

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Indy
    You're the one that put this in terms of money. And, no, I do not tend to utilize such inferior logic as to create the false dilemma that the antithesis of no spending is unfettered irresponsible spending.

This is a legitimate use of the legislature. Why should this be on a referendum ballot instead of handled through the legislature? You're really good at complaining and blustering, but you offer little in the way of supporting evidence for your position? Why don't we make every issue that comes before the legislature a referendum issue?

I am the one who put this in terms of money. I agree this is a legitimate use of legislature. But I am a realist. We can go back and fourth on this all day but I believe when the smoke clears RTW in Indiana will end up like it has in Wisconsin and Ohio. This is all about the money. I think we can agree to disagree but at the end of the day it will be we the taxpayers who will ultimately lose. And I stand on my point that this legislation is not worth the taxpayer cost. I didn't see long lines of non union workers applying to get union jobs before this legislation was put on the table. This won't bring jobs to this state. RTW can't compete with foreign trade agreement labor. And the truth is there aren't that many union jobs left. Time will tell. If this is that important to Hoosiers, why was it not presented as a state constitutional amendment? Didn't we put property tax cap amendment on the ballot? Did we complain about that here?

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    To Eatsnopaste,

We just finished discussing this in an HR class last semester.

As I understand it the National Labor Relations Act legally forces a union in a shop to represent everyone in that shop whether or not they are a union member. So, whatever they negotiate for the painters, janitors, widget makers, whatever, is good for every single member of that group whether or not they paid union dues.

So the union is forced to work for you whether or not you pay for their service.

Now, has the union service for workers sucked in many workplaces? Sure it has.

This law may actually have the unintended consequence of making unions start busting their chops and trying to earn every penny, thus increasing union membership.

Who knows...?

I hope this helps and someone with greater knowledge than I can clarify further as necessary.

Regards,

Doug

This is spin.

Another way to say this is that an employee must live under whatever contract the union agrees to, whether or not they are a union member.

This is a protection for the union, not a burden on it.

As a potential employee, I can't sell my labor to the employer for a higher price than the union negotiated, even if the employer is willing to pay it. On the other hand, if I'm an employee with attributes that are less marketable, I can't sell my labor cheaper and give the employer a price advantage for buying my less desirable labor.

Don't be fooled, this provision is not a burden on the union.

Top Bottom