• ...and so much more!
  • edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    He won't touch gun control with a 10' pole if he were to win the white house, just as he won't when running for it. He said that many times in the last campaign. If you think he would, then you don't understand presidential politics and the influence of the base. The Republican party as a whole has moved well to the right of even Reagan on the 2A. He won't be pro-abortion, either. I believe he would choose conservative Supreme Court justices, given the opportunity. He'd have no choice, again, because of the influence of the base. The base would push him further right, just as the liberal base pushes Dems to the left.

I figured someone with the balls to say what I did would light some of you guys up. You sound like liberals with your name calling and labeling. There isn't a candidate out there who I'd agree with on every issue, Romney included. If you have a candidate who you agree with 100%, then you would look like an ideologue.

Say what you will, I think Romney would help lead an economic recovery of Reganesque proportions. I believe we as a country, we still have it in us. Corporations and investors have lots of capital that they won't spend until they feel optimism and expect growth. When they do, they'll invest and get it rolling. We just need business friendly leadership, and he's got a business track record of turning things around. If you don't like it, I respect that. I wouldn't recommend foaming at the mouth over it, though. I'm just one vote. I'll guarantee this: I sure as hell won't vote for anyone the Dems throw out there.

I also have a Democrat uncle in MA who is a judge. He loathes Romney because he thinks he was radically right wing. Interesting perspective some have in MA.

Yet in a recent interview I heard on the radio in the last few weeks (I'm sure I heard it on WIBC), Romney said his big mistake as Governor was that he was too conservative.

Yes, I agree that on a relative scale we would be better for the economy, being that he's actually worked in the private sector and understands business.
    But Romney's still a left winger and his record shows it.
    For him to describe it as conservative is frightening.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    The Republican party has left me. I always thought it was supposed to be the party of small government, personal responsibility, free markets, low taxes and decreased spending.

On second thought, maybe they didn't leave me. Maybe I just opened my eyes and started paying attention.

Republican nominees since I turned 18 haven't exactly been stellar, GH Bush, Dole, GW Bush, McCain & Romney. All trying to out lib the libs. :blahblah:

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    The Republican party has left me. I always thought it was supposed to be the party of small government, personal responsibility, free markets, low taxes and decreased spending.

On second thought, maybe they didn't leave me. Maybe I just opened my eyes and started paying attention.
    I'm with you on that one. The Republicans are just different cronies than the Democrats.

I think Cato has shown that the least spending (which to me largely equates to government growth and bullying as well) occurs when the Congress is controlled by the party that's not in the White House.

Bill Clinton running? Maybe if Bill and Hillary run against each other in the primary, we could at least have some entertaining debates.

In general, I think national elections make almost no difference in the power and behavior of the government. However, gun control is one of the few areas where the people ARE holding back the government.

We lost almost everything to big government: all of the essentials of life and the biggest portions of teh economy are fascist or heavily-regulated. This includes housing, healthcare, the monetary system, education and energy. With Obamacare, you literally can't breathe without being regulated (you are required to have insurance). You are also no longer the owner of your own information; nothing is private.

So, purely because we have held off some of the gun control measures that I'm sure the central government would like to have, I'll vote for the people with the best record on the gun issues.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Have any of you guys talked to any of your State Reps lately? Just curious...

There is a whole lot of politics going on that no one seems to be paying attention to. Some potential presidential candidate for a campaign that's still at least a year from being relevant seems a bit, well, irrelevant.

The man has said he's not running and that's one decision I hope he doesn't flip flop on. Beyond that, I think in the way out here we might as well be discussing you and me as potential candidates.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Well, we'd be losing a good Senator from TX...

Other than that, I'd like to see -up front- his qualifications to run. I don't want to hear well the other side did this or that...I want the controversies to be dead up front. Explain to us exactly how, based on your family and birthplace, you qualify to run for president and provide documentation for vetting now before the campaign not after it becomes a national controversy; because it will become a controversy if there is even a whiff of impropriety for a conservative candidate. The left wing birther glee would be unbearable.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I just want an Eagle Scout that's been a military officer and successful CEO of a corporation (oh, and maybe some charisma), plus maybe a term as governor of a state. We've had someone with no qualifications, how about one with all of them?

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I just want an Eagle Scout that's been a military officer and successful CEO of a corporation (oh, and maybe some charisma), plus maybe a term as governor of a state. We've had someone with no qualifications, how about one with all of them?

Well, that almost describes Rick Perry. Eagle Scout, A.F. pilot, Cotton Farmer, Agricultural Commissioner, Lt Gov., Governor...some charisma. He even likes to shoot.

Rick Perry's super bad ass NRA gun intro video - YouTube

I think the left gins up controversies and makes so much fun of every little foible because they are truly afraid of the man.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Well, that almost describes Rick Perry. Eagle Scout, A.F. pilot, Cotton Farmer, Agricultural Commissioner, Lt Gov., Governor...some charisma. He even likes to shoot.

Too bad he doesn't like to pardon people convicted of gun control laws in his state.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I think the pardon is overused almost everywhere for political purposes. 11th hour...hey everyone's free! (at least everyone who fits my particular political bent).

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound

Republican nominees since I turned 18 haven't exactly been stellar, GH Bush, Dole, GW Bush, McCain & Romney. All trying to out lib the libs. :blahblah:

I believe in those things too, but I never considered myself a republican. Right now the party is just filled with hypocritical social statists.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    Just curious. What's a "big tent idealogue" and a "raise and answer"?

Raise-and-answer. As in poker, to raise and call. 'Big-tent,' rather than 'small-tent,' is a political term indicating inclusiveness. Ideologue, a champion or adherent of an ideology. Your grammar/English lesson of the day is brought to you by the letters I, N, G, and O.

Top Bottom