• ...and so much more!
  • 92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Why do you hate lefties?
    Not the OP, but I can relate to what he's saying.

I don't want redundant, snaggy levers on the side of my gun that is away from my body when it's in the holster. They can get bumped on stuff and get inadvertently deactivated, and certain designs interfere with my grip. I have no problem with companies making guns specifically for left-handed people, but leave my right-handed guns alone!

Reactions: wcd

Finelinedefense

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2023
    Fountaintown IN

I don't want redundant, snaggy levers on the side of my gun that is away from my body when it's in the holster. They can get bumped on stuff and get inadvertently deactivated, and certain designs interfere with my grip. I have no problem with companies making guns specifically for left-handed people, but leave my right-handed guns alone!

Fair enough. Scary for a lefty to commit to a lefty specific gun when we train with generic RH controls so long. We are the ones that want the fall back safety on the left side lol.

I’ll never feel good carrying a 1911 anyway so you can have them. Idc where the safety is for beautiful range toys.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    Why do you hate lefties?
    I don't hate lefties. My oldest daughter is a southpaw. You seem to have made a rather large leap in logic from a rather small amount of information. The primary reason I don't like a thumb-safety on the RIGHT (wrong for right-handed) side of my 1911 is that I am right handed, so I ACTUALLY use the thumb safety on the LEFT (proper for right-handed) side of the hardware. Another GOOD reason for using a one-sided thumb safety is that two-sided thumb safeties are two-piece devices, which adds a potential failure point where one does not otherwise exist. Any two-piece item can come apart, or break at the connection point. The single-sided thumb safety is one solid piece of metal, so it can't 'come apart'. It can break, but that is way less likely with a solid piece of metal than with a two-piece device that has smaller diameter parts. A third, admittedly thin, reason I don't like bilateral thumb safeties is that I don't (and never will) carry a 1911, nor will I ever do off-hand drills with a 1911. IFF I ever buy another 1911, it will be a range-toy only. I don't need useless devices (rails, front serrations, adjustable sights, ambidextrous thumb safety, etc...) on my 1911s, and none of them add anything aesthetic to the very good looking gun JMB designed. You may be interested to know that my P365XL, which I do carry, has an ambidextrous safety, which I do train with, and may someday actually need. My house gun, a Glock 21, has no thumb safety at all. I hope this clarifies my point of view.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561

That, too!

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Fair enough. Scary for a lefty to commit to a lefty specific gun when we train with generic RH controls so long. We are the ones that want the fall back safety on the left side lol.

I’ll never feel good carrying a 1911 anyway so you can have them. Idc where the safety is for beautiful range toys.
    I've carried a 1911 on occasion, but it's definitely not my first choice for most situations. Personally, I'd rather not have any manual safety at all on a defensive handgun...simplicity is king. When I have the choice I usually carry a DA/SA Sig, but most lefties I've met hate the decocker design on those.

I do like that a lot of modern guns are starting to come with user-reversible controls, like the mag release on Gen 4/5 Glocks and the P320. That allows the user to select which orientation they want without forcing both onto people who don't want one or the other.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee

….Never feel Good carrying a 1911….
    well you are lefty so there is that. So will just let that part go.

I am also left hand dominant, but I shoot better Right handed. Wonder if people try both hands and go from there?

Finelinedefense

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2023
    Fountaintown IN

I am also left hand dominant, but I shoot better Right handed. Wonder if people try both hands and go from there?

It’s eye

Eye dominance. I always got by doing things with my right hand but I can’t shoot with my right eye.

Finelinedefense

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2023
    Fountaintown IN
    Ok now I am curious so do yo close one eye when shooting? I guess I really did not think about that, I guess everyone takes a different approach. Me I shoot both eyes focused on the front sight.

Both eyes open but one is dominant. Your sight picture will shift slightly when you close your dominant eye. Your brain has to pick one or your head would hurt from seeing double.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I shoot right handed. I've been blind in my right eye for over 10 years. All I can see with the right eye is light and shadow, but I still need it open to shoot. Habit.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    I shoot right handed. I've been blind in my right eye for over 10 years. All I can see with the right eye is light and shadow, but I still need it open to shoot. Habit.
    Interesting I really do not quite get the whole right eye left eye thing and why there would be any effect on wheter you shoot left or right handed.

Finelinedefense

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2023
    Fountaintown IN
    Interesting I really do not quite get the whole right eye left eye thing and why there would be any effect on wheter you shoot left or right handed.

It’s not the end all be all it’s just the speed and ease of bringing up weapon sights. Whatever you train will be what you do quickly but it’s a lot of effort on the ole number cruncher to cross hand and eye from a draw.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    It’s not the end all be all it’s just the speed and ease of bringing up weapon sights. Whatever you train will be what you do quickly but it’s a lot of effort on the ole number cruncher to cross hand and eye from a draw.
    Honestly I really never thought about it, not being sarcastic but for me some things just happen with out much thought. Switching off the safety, Front sight Focus etc

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I have to disagree, at least when it comes to me. I have been right handed and left eye dominant all my life. It takes way less brain power to do whatever comes naturally. Drawing left handed is a nightmare all by itself, and using my right eye ONLY to shoot would be just stupid as I can't see. Right handed, left eye with both eyes open is what comes naturally.

ShrikeInc

Plinker
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2023
    South
    I don't have any Ruger's 1911 as I started to build my own (Caspian + WC parts, so build are over $1k in general) a bit back, but $1k for a Ruger does sound a bit over what it should be. Inflation I guess (like same car with new model year will be 1k+ higher than exactly same one previous year)?

iringsteel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2023
    Chicago
    ok, I’ll be the thread lefty. I’ve border line (sort of lol) ruined “plinking” for myself after starting to competitive shoot a few years back. I wouldn’t carry a 1911 either, but kudos to those who do. I would however buy a 9mm 1911 to shoot in steel plate challenge matches, and maybe some uspsa. I would want adjustable sights, with the front one being fibre optic. I would need an ambi safety. Any thoughts? Would prefer stainless but whatever. Would prefer standard safety levers versus those “finger nail” Sig style units. Staccato made a black plastic version a few years back I should of bought but thought: “surely there must be better options” haha. Shows what I know.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    ok, I’ll be the thread lefty. I’ve border line (sort of lol) ruined “plinking” for myself after starting to competitive shoot a few years back. I wouldn’t carry a 1911 either, but kudos to those who do. I would however buy a 9mm 1911 to shoot in steel plate challenge matches, and maybe some uspsa. I would want adjustable sights, with the front one being fibre optic. I would need an ambi safety. Any thoughts? Would prefer stainless but whatever. Would prefer standard safety levers versus those “finger nail” Sig style units. Staccato made a black plastic version a few years back I should of bought but thought: “surely there must be better options” haha. Shows what I know.

Top Bottom