• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    This thing is great until you realize that an M1 Carbine weighs less at 5.5 pounds, fires a better cartridge that now has modern loadings, and comes with a more useable side sling.

And yes you can get them with rails, polymer stocks, and a scope mount built into the receiver.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Yeah but throwing a silencer on a M1 carbine is a PITA

And I doubt there's any subsonic 30 carbine out there, or ones that would cylce the action anyway

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    And I'd have to add 30 carbine to my caliber stable. Already have tons of 9mm sitting around and plenty 33rd glock sticks. I'd imagine a decent quality M1 carbine would be 2x the cost of this ruger carbine

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I have a 1919A1 and a Marlin Camp 45. I love the interchangeability with the mags

I really like this rifle, but I don't have any glock or other compatible mags.

Maybe CM can build that 1911 for me.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    For the last 3 years in the Ruger voice of the customer survey and talking to factory reps when my LGS had Ruger days I have requested an updated carbine. It does pay to fill out surveys sometimes!

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    New From Inland Mfg: M1 Carbine Pistol - The Truth About Guns

12 Inch M1 carbine based "pistol" with brace and threaded muzzle, pistol grip, and all the rails you can want. To come out in 2018.
    Still only 5.5 pounds.

Also, due to the resurgence of 30 Carbine. IMI is rumored to be bringing over the MAGAL rifle. This is a Galil based carbine that is chambered in 30 carbine you guys will surely go nuts over.

Sorry guys, the new Ruger PC9 is a heavy pig that fires weaker round. And I won't even mention the fiddly parts and tool laiden field strip of the Ruger. It's going to the dustbin of history like the original just as soon as the Ruger fanboy craze is over.

Also. The bigger point. There are AR carbines lighter then this thing!

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county

12 Inch M1 carbine based "pistol" with brace and threaded muzzle, pistol grip, and all the rails you can want. To come out in 2018.
    Still only 5.5 pounds.

Also, due to the resurgence of 30 Carbine. IMI is rumored to be bringing over the MAGAL rifle. This is a Galil based carbine that is chambered in 30 carbine you guys will surely go nuts over.

Sorry guys, the new Ruger PC9 is a heavy pig that fires weaker round. And I won't even mention the fiddly parts and tool laiden field strip of the Ruger. It's going to the dustbin of history like the original just as soon as the Ruger fanboy craze is over.

MSRP: $1,699 :noway:

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Not a Ruger fanboy. The concept of having minimal calibers and interchangeable magazines is the heart of it's likely popularity. The ammo is cheap, comparatively light, and readily available. The possibility of having it in a back pack, ready to throw on your back and bug out makes it a great idea. If your EDC already uses a compatible mag you are prepared for short or long shots.

Now, on the other hand. there are few firearms chambered in 30 carbine. If you pay the big bucks to get the new pistol, you will have a compatible combo. Will that pistol be your EDC, as is the case with many of the folk who are looking at this? The ammo is much heavier and not nearly as ubiquitous, so you will have to depend mostly on your stash.

My setup as stated before is centered around the 1911 .45 ACP. The ammo Compared to the 9mm it is heavy, bulky, expensive, and rare. I love my combo, but it also has the drawback of being NJ and CA compliant as far as mag capacity.

For someone with preparedness in mind, this new rifle is a great possibility.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    Not a Ruger fanboy. The concept of having minimal calibers and interchangeable magazines is the heart of it's likely popularity. The ammo is cheap, comparatively light, and readily available. The possibility of having it in a back pack, ready to throw on your back and bug out makes it a great idea. If your EDC already uses a compatible mag you are prepared for short or long shots.

Now, on the other hand. there are few firearms chambered in 30 carbine. If you pay the big bucks to get the new pistol, you will have a compatible combo. Will that pistol be your EDC, as is the case with many of the folk who are looking at this? The ammo is much heavier and not nearly as ubiquitous, so you will have to depend mostly on your stash.

My setup as stated before is centered around the 1911 .45 ACP. The ammo Compared to the 9mm it is heavy, bulky, expensive, and rare. I love my combo, but it also has the drawback of being NJ and CA compliant as far as mag capacity.

For someone with preparedness in mind, this new rifle is a great possibility.

speaking of .30 carbine ammo, can you buy anything but FMJ locally? I’m sure a person could find something online with more punch, but with a super high price to match. Would a .30 cal FMJ do more damage than a 9mm HST, I doubt it.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Ask and ye shall receive.
    HomecarbineWP.jpg

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    No dispute from me.

Listen, I am the Ultimate .45 ACP guy.

Here I am pushing 9mm.

I need to go to PB and do penance.
    • 100 rounds .45 ACP
    • 1 John Browning 1911A1
    • 1 Marlin Camp 45

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    speaking of .30 carbine ammo, can you buy anything but FMJ locally? I’m sure a person could find something online with more punch, but with a super high price to match. Would a .30 cal FMJ do more damage than a 9mm HST, I doubt it.

You can find the Hornady Critical Defense 30 Carbine in most gun shops and most big box stores.

Standard soft points are easily found too.

The new Underwood ammo is a little harder to find, but out there.

Mac did a test of both in 30 Carbine.

Also don’t forget that most 9mm self defense ammo isn’t designed for Carbine velocity. You will find that at the higher speeds the bullets fail and fragment in the target. Some makers even have a disclaimer about running it a Carbine.

Look I realize that there is 30 years of incorrect group think on this Cartridge. But thanks to recent offerings from Hornady and Underwood, this misunderstood cartridge is getting new life and a chance to shine.

I can’t wait for IMI to bring over the Magal Carbine.

Last edited:

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Still, in a discussion of Glocks, I make a snarky remark about sub-caliber plastic pieces of junk and that the 1911A1 in .45 acp is the only way to go.

But It seems that you are actually trying to convince everyone you are right.

I'm out.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana

Still only 5.5 pounds.

You are comparing apples to oranges especially when the MSRP for the M1 is almost 3 times more expensive than the Ruger's PC Carbine. I'll buy the Ruger and still have enough money left over to buy a couple AR's.

Top Bottom