• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    So im kicking around the thought of building my next AR from scratch. Buying stripped lower putting in trigger group, etc. Is there paper work i have to fill out??? Any laws/rules i should know???? Or is it just buy the parts and build it. Thanks everyone.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Buy the parts and build it. The stripped lower has the serial and is considered a firearm. That is the only part that you'll have to go through a dealer to get, unless you buy one face to face from an individual.

TAT7

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Lower is your "serial numbered" part, so that's what you will need to do a 4473 (paperwork for purchasing a firearm) and you must have a 16" total length barrel (I say total length, because you can pin and weld a flash hider to a 14.5" barrel and that equals 16"...or any combo that equals 16" basically). Other than that, you buy everything else (parts) from who or where ever you please

Shootin'IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    S.W. Indiana
    The lower receiver will need to be shipped to an FFL in your area.
    I think you need to be over 21.
    The barrel needs to be over 16".
    Check your local laws for any other restrictions.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    The only rule is from an INGO stand point is:

:postpics:

The Lower is the only part that is considered a firearm, standard paper work will be required for purchase. Unless its a class 3 build.

Other than that post pics and have at it.

jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Thank you everyone, that diddnt take long at all to get the info i needed.:rockwoot::yesway::D

Its gna take me some time, as money is tight because the misses is prego and not working right now. Just trying to get my ducks in a row. But when i start i will give pics.

jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Parts??? Who makes quality parts for good price. Im not rich so consider this a build on a budget, but i dnt do cheap. You get what you pay for.

TAT7

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Indianapolis
    CMMG-lower parts kit
    Anyone- upper parts kit
    Fail zero- bcg
    CMMG-barrel (or any well named dealer for that matter)
    Any keyhole upper on sale
    ALG trigger
    Rail-whatever floats your boat
    Grip and stock- whatever floats your boat

jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Thank you TAT7, that really does help a newbie with looking for parts. Gna try and put an estimate together for the boss's (wifes) approval. LOL

TAT7

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Way to many details to get specific but a lot depends on your budget, spend your money on your barrel, bcg, and trigger, little on the lpk, and sights, everything else is meh...

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Parts??? Who makes quality parts for good price. Im not rich so consider this a build on a budget, but i dnt do cheap. You get what you pay for.

I did a PSA build earlier this year and couldn't be happier with it.

(Palmetto State Armory)

They are an INGO advertiser

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    They might still have that special on the lpk with ALG trigger and either MOE or MIAD grip too, best bang for your buck lpk hands down if you ask me

Is the ALG that much of an upgrade over their regular trigger? Not sure what the special $ was but that lpk is $99.99 with the MOE with the Combat trigger and $84.99 with the ALG mil-spec.

TAT7

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Indianapolis
    IMHO, yes... I do trigger jobs on ARs and these are basically a trigger job out of the box for an extra $20, they are also Nicole Boron (or whatever they call it) coated which will help with wear and reliability. PS: a trigger job will run more than $20, lol

I thought they had a lpk for like 79.99 with the ALG and MOE? I guess it could have been a special though.

evsnova74

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Near-east Indy
    +1 for PSA. I was literally a completely ignorant noob when it came to ar15s no more than a few months ago, (I'm still a noob, just not completely ignorant lol) but their "rifle kits" make it really easy. 1 rifle kit + stripped lower + youtube = complete ar15. :D

EDIT: Wow, out of stock for every single rifle kit. Meh, it changes pretty often, depending on your time frame just check back periodically.

Top Bottom