• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Thank you, still learning some of the lingo..

in reference to LPK and UPK what do those contain? Roll pins, springs, etc. I havent had a chance to get on youtube and really dig into it yet.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Well, I'll be picking up 3 more lowers (I'll have 3 spares for myself and one for a future build for my nephew). I like their standard trigger (not sure which trigger is in my AR pistol, most likely the DPMS) but I'm not opposed to spending a little more and checking out other products if they're quality.

TAT7

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Lower
    1ec40148ff93e749e304ed8e0e416608_zps51613827.jpg

Upper
    7f32097c3343324a1dafae596b2b3d52_zpsec750960.jpg

jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    i have a basic understanding in terms of lower, upper and such, but there are some things im unfamiliar with in terms of parts such as i know you need a castle nut for buttstock and a certain hardware for barrel. Those are the things im trying to research so i can do a educated estimate. I also have a good idea what parts i want so that will help in my estimate. Thanks guys

jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    One thing i dont understand, i gotta be honest, is the gas block and tube. Like i said I havent dug deep into building one yet, but if you want to elaborate what it does and why I need it i appreciate it.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    i have a basic understanding in terms of lower, upper and such, but there are some things im unfamiliar with in terms of parts such as i know you need a castle nut for buttstock and a certain hardware for barrel. Those are the things im trying to research so i can do a educated estimate. I also have a good idea what parts i want so that will help in my estimate. Thanks guys

Don't do too much window shopping online or messing with AR-15 Builder - Build and Customize your own AR15 | Brownells because it can have you building #1 and planning #2-4 way before you wanted. The online window shopping has gotten me to planning #2-4 and the only problem I have with it is that I don't have unlimited funds so I can make it happen as quickly as I'd like.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Thank you everyone, that diddnt take long at all to get the info i needed.:rockwoot::yesway::D

Its gna take me some time, as money is tight because the misses is prego and not working right now. Just trying to get my ducks in a row. But when i start i will give pics.
    Take care of momma, and the new baby, if this is your first, they are expensive, but worth it !!!!!

jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Don't do too much window shopping online or messing with AR-15 Builder - Build and Customize your own AR15 | Brownells because it can have you building #1 and planning #2-4 way before you wanted. The online window shopping has gotten me to planning #2-4 and the only problem I have with it is that I don't have unlimited funds so I can make it happen as quickly as I'd like.

Ya me either. No its probably goin to be a 6 month project or so, like i said my wife is prego and not working right now so money isnt as easily assecible right now. I just like having a plan, regardless if i know the plans gna change, i just like to have a good idea where im headed with it.

TAT7

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Indianapolis
    As for a list, you need;

-upper
    -forward assist assembly with roll pin
    -ejection door kit (spring, pin, e-clip)
    -barrel nut or delta ring assembly if running standard covers (some quad rails require their own barrel nut, so read the fine print)
    -barrel
    -quad rails, again if not running basic covers
    -front sight post or gas block with pin, which is generally .750 inner diameter, but check barrel specs
    -gas tube either carbine (short), mid (medium), rifle (longer) lengths...again refer to your barrel specs
    -bolt carrier group (which has firing pin, gas key, bolt assembly, and a pin)
    -charging handle assembly
    -flash hider/brake with crush washer

-lower
    -lower parts kit which should have everything needed except what is listed below
    -buffer
    -buffer tube
    -back plate
    -buffer spring
    -stock
    -magazines
    -ammo, lol
    -sights
    -better trigger

In the lower parts kit there should be
    -trigger group
    -buffer tube detent and spring
    -safety selector and spring
    -front and rear takedown pins, springs, and detents
    -mag catch and spring and roll pin
    -trigger guard and roll pin (trigger guard will have a front pin already assembled)
    -mag release and spring
    -grip and screw

If I missed anything, sorry it's late and I just made this list off the top of my head

jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    No i appreciate it excessivly... That makes it so much easier for me. Im gna get on youtube tmorwo and watch a couple videos of builds. Then i think i will have a decent foundation on what it entails and what type of stuff i need. Once again i really appreciate u helping a newbie out. Being the first build i feel better knowing someone is ther to answer any/all questions i may have or run into no matter how lame they might be. Thanks a ton.

TAT7

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Indianapolis
    No i appreciate it excessivly... That makes it so much easier for me. Im gna get on youtube tmorwo and watch a couple videos of builds. Then i think i will have a decent foundation on what it entails and what type of stuff i need. Once again i really appreciate u helping a newbie out. Being the first build i feel better knowing someone is ther to answer any/all questions i may have or run into no matter how lame they might be. Thanks a ton.

No problem, that's what I like to do.

PTinbound

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    DeMotte
    I think PSA has a pretty good product/value/quality/price, but you have to deal with their attrocious customer service. They don't respond to emails and you can't talk to a human or leave a message. But like I said, when you finally get the order it's a pretty good product for a pretty good price.

TAT7

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I think PSA has a pretty good product/value/quality/price, but you have to deal with their attrocious customer service. They don't respond to emails and you can't talk to a human or leave a message. But like I said, when you finally get the order it's a pretty good product for a pretty good price.

This is true...and a 10% restocking fee if you change items....oh and if you do cancel an item they may still ship it to you on accident then ask you to ship it back to them on your dime....ask me how I know. Lol

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    I have sourced parts for a couple of builds from JSE surplus. If you get on their mailing list they run specials all the time. Great prices on most parts. I picked up a black friday deal on a couple uppers for $45 ea. Lots of stuff out of stock right now everywhere. Election panic I guess!

Good Luck and welcome to the Dark Side!:D

DocEd

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Evansville
    If your still in the process of researching and what not, ITSTACTICAL.COM did a YouTube and corresponding written series on building an AR. It covers parts tools and how to tutorials on everything needed to build a rifle from the ground up. They even had links for laws and covered the regs on what constitutes a short barrel rifle. Just an FYI for everyone looking at building. I am currently in the process of doing my first build as well. Got the lower a couple weeks ago and should have it done by January. Pics will follow as I make progress.

Top Bottom