• ...and so much more!
  • Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Assuming you are keeping in mind some folks don't care to sign a bill of sale?
    I can take it or leave it. Since it's not legally required, I'm not apt to give any info I don't have to unless you have something I cannot find elsewhere. I would NOT be happy if you surprised me with this at the time of sale.

I'm quite happy to provide IN driver's license and LTCH for verification of residency and non-felon.
    :+1:

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I like paperwork for the reason stated by ru44mag. There's no law I know of dictating this nor requiring the checking of IDs......just conditions set by the seller. I have made it clear in my for sale ads that paperwork will be provided and ID will be shown as a condition of the sale. I don't like surprises either and won't spring one on a buyer.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    If the seller makes it too complicated or asks for too much beyond what the law requires, I would be inclined to just buy from an LGS. The seller is not required to go beyond the law. If common practice exceeds the law then eventually the law will catch up and become more restrictive. By imposing additional requirements you are voluntarily forfeiting part of your rights and asking the buyer to do the same. :twocents:

turn n shoot

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Personally, I will not sell a gun to someone, unless I know them really well, or if they have a LTCH. I also make a bill of sale with their name, address, and license info on it.
    This has never lost me a sale, but I know that it can. I also will not buy a gun if I have any suspicions of the gun, or seller not being legit. This has cost me more than a couple nice guns, and good deals, but I have never regretted it!

Tom

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    All this ATF stuff is ridiculous. They aren't just arresting people for nothing. They try to get you to break the law. They do this by saying they're "out of state" or "they couldn't buy from an FFA." If you go through with the sale, you should be arrested.

In Indiana, you don't have to do bills of sale, ID or LTCH checks, or any of this nonsense. All you have to do is abide by Indiana's laws:
    You can not KNOWINGLY sell a firearm to a minor, a fellon, or a non-Indiana resident without going through an FFL. That's the basics of it.

The key word here is KNOWINGLY. You do not have to ask for a license to verify. But if you know they are a minor, fellon, or out of state, you either need to not sell, or go through a FFL.

As a side note, I refuse to buy or sell to anyone that requires my signature and/or other information written down. You are not a registered business, and I'm not leaving you with my information that you could use to rob me of my identity or property. I've walked away from at least 5 deals because people wanted my signature, date of birth, etc... written down. Heck, that's about enough to get a credit card in my name. /rant

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Almost forgot, here's the magic 2 questions if you're really nervous about a sale.

1). Are you an Indiana resident?
    2). Can you legally possess a firearm?

If the answer is yes to both of those questions, you're good to go. An ATF agent will pat you on the back at this point and say "have a nice day" (I actually had this happen).

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    Almost forgot, here's the magic 2 questions if you're really nervous about a sale.

1). Are you an Indiana resident?
    2). Can you legally possess a firearm?

If the answer is yes to both of those questions, you're good to go. An ATF agent will pat you on the back at this point and say "have a nice day" (I actually had this happen).

This ^^^^^^ I've noticed lately it seems like more and more people are starting to believe that it is required by law to have a LTCH before buying a handgun privately.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    This ^^^^^^ I've noticed lately it seems like more and more people are starting to believe that it is required by law to have a LTCH before buying a handgun privately.

That is because they support the President's push for universal background checks on private sales but don't have the means to do it on their own.

Degtyaryov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    A good faith effort to make sure that the buyer isn't a prohibited person. People interpret that differently.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Wabash
    When buying a gun (or just about anything) from a private party I always ask for a bill of sale. That is a good faith effort to keep from buying stolen property.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    When buying a gun (or just about anything) from a private party I always ask for a bill of sale. That is a good faith effort to keep from buying stolen property.

How does requesting a bill of sale from the seller keep you from buying stolen property? Do you mean you're asking to see the receipt from when they purchased it?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Wabash
    No. I mean that I ask the seller to provide me a bill of sale. I realize that is a long way from a foolproof way to protect myself, but if someone is not willing to give me a bill of sale for what I am purchasing, I will be unwilling to buy from them.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Sold to: {insert buyers name}

Signed: Epstein's Mother

Exactly what i was thinking. Then I thought about the sports collector stuff you see with a "Certificate of Authenticity". No one who would sell you a fake HR baseball would ever think about faking the C of A to go along with it. :whistle:

Top Bottom