Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana

What [former United States Ambassador to Russia] Michael McFaul says here is a joke. Navalny was a marginal opposition figure who polled at around 2%. Putin didn't fear him; it served Putin to have him seen in the West as his main opposition.

Navalny worked with NATO intel cutout Bellingcat and went through the "Yale World Fellow" program, a regime change training ground. For this reason, we also don't hear that Navalny was an unrepentant xenophobe who compared Muslim immigrants to cockroaches and rotten teeth.

His death is a tragedy. He was undoubtedly mistreated. But because he served US interests, US state media will make him into someone he was not. And just compare their fawning coverage to their silence on, or even support for, the ongoing persecution of Julian Assange. Or their complete silence on the mistreatment and death of US citizen Gonzalo Lira in Ukrainian custody -- universally ignored in US media.

Last edited:

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    I'm reminded of how quickly the UK ships folded under attack by the Argies with Exocets. I would imagine that these boats have at least as much explosive as a current marine torpedo so one or two hits will probably put down anything the Russians have in the black sea. New tactics and weapons have to be responded to, I wonder if the Russians have something like the Phalanx that they could automatically slave to a target acquired by radar or sonar.
    They do. Radar control doesn't work all w surface clutter.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    They do. Radar control doesn't work all w surface clutter.

We tested radar designed to pick up periscopes.
    Well, to be more specific, we were the TARGET vehicle for a ship carrying a new radar to prove itself.

The radar was only a bit quicker than the Mark I eyeball, on a completely calm day.
    When the waves picked up a bit.. the eyeball picked us up first.

Granted, the eyeballs knew a target was coming up, so they could be unusually alert.
    Think about scanning the ocean minute after minute, hour after hour, day after day.
    And.. in peacetime.
    After a while, the eyeball maybe doesn't work so well.

Then again, a radar giving you hundreds of false alarms a day will also put you into a zone of not quite paying enough attention.

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County

What [former United States Ambassador to Russia] Michael McFaul says here is a joke. Navalny was a marginal opposition figure who polled at around 2%. Putin didn't fear him; it served Putin to have him seen in the West as his main opposition.

Navalny worked with NATO intel cutout Bellingcat and went through the "Yale World Fellow" program, a regime change training ground. For this reason, we also don't hear that Navalny was an unrepentant xenophobe who compared Muslim immigrants to cockroaches and rotten teeth.

His death is a tragedy. He was undoubtedly mistreated. But because he served US interests, US state media will make him into someone he was not. And just compare their fawning coverage to their silence on, or even support for, the ongoing persecution of Julian Assange. Or their complete silence on the mistreatment and death of US citizen Gonzalo Lira in Ukrainian custody -- universally ignored in US media.

I find it fascinating the West’s belief that if only Putin would go away, a new and benevolent Russian leader will emerge and right all of their past wrongs. The reality is that there is an excellent chance that whoever comes after Putin eventually goes may, in fact, be worse. Even worse is that they may be more competent. Our never ending quest for regime change has usually not worked out very well, we never learn.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana

Not a nuclear weapon(they reveal on the back page).

"U.S. intelligence believes Russia may be developing is more likely a nuclear-powered device to blind, jam or fry the electronics inside satellites than an explosive nuclear warhead to shoot them down, analysts said on Thursday."

But that is not as scary as saying nukes in orbit.

During a Thursday press briefing White House national security council spokesman John Kirby belatedly confirmed that reports of a new Russian capability was related to "an anti-satellite capability that Russia is developing," but that "This is not an active capability that’s been deployed."

So...a push to get funding for Ukraine?

Putin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said he believes it was a trick by lawmakers to get Biden's massive Ukraine and foreign defense aid package passed. "It’s obvious that Washington is trying to force Congress to vote on the aid bill by hook or by crook," he said

https://www.yahoo.com/news/wing-lawmakers-fellow-republicans-warning-225744860.html (Republican's and a few democrats are all right wing according to this article, anyone who does not want uniparty policies pretty much).

“In hindsight, it has become clear that the intent was not to ensure the safety of our homeland and the American people, but rather to ensure additional funding for Ukraine and passage of an unreformed Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA),” he alleged, referencing the law that is up for reauthorization in Congress.

Ogles later told USA TODAY he believes “it’s clear” that the warning came at a time meant to influence the legislation.

“It’s an election year. I understand you’re going to have political rhetoric on both sides, but there’s one committee that has to rise above that, and that’s the Intelligence Committee,” he said. “They used political agendas to scare the American people.”

Rep. Andy Biggs, R-Ariz., told USA TODAY: “I think he’s right on the money.”

“This is the Intelligence Chairman abusing his power, trying to stop us,” he said, referencing bipartisan legislation he’s sponsored that would overhaul FISA.

“I suspect that the timing – to use my daughter’s phrase, it’s a little ‘sus,’” said Rep. Eric Burlison, R-Mo., referencing a slang term for the word "suspicious." “It’s a strong coincidence that this happened around the same time.”

Last edited:

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana

Meanwhile in the EU...

Little dictator is not happy.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    It'd be a fun drinking game to go back through these Russia/Ukraine threads and take a shot every time someone posts proof that Russia or Ukraine is about to totally collapse and lose the war.

Yet here we are, 2 years in, and how much have the front lines even moved?

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    It'd be a fun drinking game to go back through these Russia/Ukraine threads and take a shot every time someone posts proof that Russia or Ukraine is about to totally collapse and lose the war.

Kind of like WWI... only with drones.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    Kind of like WWI... only with drones.
    This is what scares me for what could happen here. Watching the use of low-cost drones by the ukrainians with improvised use of munitions is frankly somewhat terrifying.

Frankly I do not see the non-constitutionalist side caring about collateral damage.

Just with the number of drones which are already in the country tremendous damage could be wrought.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

""Forward", he cried from the rear
    And the front rank died
    The general sat and the lines on the map
    Moved from side to side"
    -- Rick Wright and Roger Waters

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    This is what scares me for what could happen here. Watching the use of low-cost drones by the ukrainians with improvised use of munitions is frankly somewhat terrifying.

Frankly I do not see the non-constitutionalist side caring about collateral damage.

Just with the number of drones which are already in the country tremendous damage could be wrought.
    Someday some terrorist is going to get this idea. You see how even in areas with modern air defenses, these common small drones are often not able to be detected or engaged.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

In July of last year, a DJI Mavic 2 drone approached a Pennsylvania power substation. Two 4-foot nylon ropes dangled from its rotors, a thick copper wire connected to the ends with electrical tape. The device had been stripped of any identifiable markings, as well as its onboard camera and memory card, in an apparent effort by its owner to avoid detection. Its likely goal, according to a joint security bulletin released by DHS, the FBI, and the National Counterterrorism Center, was to “disrupt operations by creating a short circuit.”

Almost four years ago. Probes are already being made.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy

Remember that virtually every single drone drop gets posted for propaganda and the actual overall number of deaths from them are only a small fraction of the whole picture.

Ukraine posts nothing but them winning, but in reality they're losing. There aren't enough drones to stop an army with hundreds of thousands of men to burn.

A team of fewer than ten people with a container worth of DJIs could cause so much freaking havoc on the home front, though. They have an operating radius of a couple kilometers and can be deployed from a small backpack. They're almost impossible to trace and interdict in the time it takes to drop an improvised munition at a school bus stop or whatever. They can be way pointed to launch in one place and be recovered elsewhere. Imagine how nuts a city like LA would go if every day some cluster of randos got blown up by a drone drop.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The worst place for drones to hit in the US is Houston and the gulf coast. So much refining in a small area and damage here is not quickly replaced. Not sure how you could protect things as big and flammable as oil refineries, maybe somebody is working on an anti drone SAM.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    The worst place for drones to hit in the US is Houston and the gulf coast. So much refining in a small area and damage here is not quickly replaced. Not sure how you could protect things as big and flammable as oil refineries, maybe somebody is working on an anti drone SAM.
    Search anti drone systems for US airports. You will get at least 20 or so companies working on the issue. Even some very large companies like Bosch.

Some are observing systems and some are active defense systems that even locate the pilots. It is already a billion+ dollar industry.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I've been waiting for someone to make man portable tiny radars and small diameter rockets for knocking quadcopters down. They're slow, low altitude, and fragile.

But how could you ever blanket a city? Radar has shadows. You can use terrain and structures to conceal your approach. I have yet to see the radar system that can pick out a DGI flying below canopy level through a forest or between the floors of a parking garage.

Top Bottom